Yesterday, when I plug into my Honor 8 for charging, I notice that the charging light did not come on. To make things worse, I notice the usb C plug at the phone end was getting hotter and hotter to the point where it started smelling like heated plastic. I unplugged it immediately and the plug actually burned my hand when I touched it.

I then tried plugging in a different cable and then a different adapter, but encountered the same issue, so the problem is with the phone. I even swabbed the usb c socket with some contact cleaner, but it heats up immediately when I plug in the phone. I call HONOR tech support and they said to return it for warranty repair.

But what do you think is happening here, a short on the phone battery? I didn't drop it or spill liquid on it.

Paul
    02-05-2018 11:23 AM
    Wow, definitely sounds like a wiring issue. Good thing you were nearby and noticed easily could have started a fire. of your phone is less than a year it should be covered. I wonder if from just normal use of plugging and unplugging knocked a connection or loose.
    02-05-2018 01:30 PM
    Are you alright? How badly did you get burned? I'm glad you contacted Honor customer service. Be sure to tell them you got injured. Do not plug in your phone again, and be sure to keep us posted on what happens next. Glad you are safe!
    02-05-2018 09:14 PM
    Have you checked to make sure the port is clear? I found when I cleaned mine out it had a lot of lint in there. This sort of thing can cause shorts too.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-06-2018 01:53 AM
    Yeah I would try to blow compressed air into the port to see if there's anything stuck in there
    02-06-2018 07:16 AM