Fingerprint Scanner: Front or Rear?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Where do you prefer the Fingerprint Scanner to be - on the front or the rear?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
My brain is now trained to work with both models. With OEMs now going back and forth with this, I am tired of them changing every release, lol.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I actually like the fps on the back. I use the Bluetooth smart unlock feature so all I do is hit the power button to turn the screen on.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the fps on the back. I use the Bluetooth smart unlock feature so all I do is hit the power button to turn the screen on.

The problem at least for me is sometimes i might step away from my desk to an adjacent cubicle without taking the phone... This could leave my phone vulnerableb If i used smart lock

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
True, I guess I'm not really worried about prying eyes at my job. Most people leave their phones on their desks when they get up to go to the bathroom or head to meetings.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True, I guess I'm not really worried about prying eyes at my job. Most people leave their phones on their desks when they get up to go to the bathroom or head to meetings.

That's good do hear. Unfortunately we have had thefts . Obviously smart lock don't stop that but at least they won't be able to steal my personal information on the phone, and hopefully if they see it is locked then they might not take it if they are really amateur thefts looking for an easy sell.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I love these kinds of debates! Hmm, I've only ever used a fingerprint scanner on the back - my Honor 8 is the only phone I've used with a fingerprint scanner - but I can see advantages to it being on the front. The back is convenient, for me at least, especially when I'm holding the phone in my hand and/or picking it up; but if your fingerprint scanner was on the front, you could unlock it without picking it up off of a table, for example.

I used to only want rear fingerprint scanners, but I'd certainly be open to a front-facing scanner. I don't really think that one is necessarily better than the other: they both have their advantages.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I love these kinds of debates! Hmm, I've only ever used a fingerprint scanner on the back - my Honor 8 is the only phone I've used with a fingerprint scanner - but I can see advantages to it being on the front. The back is convenient, for me at least, especially when I'm holding the phone in my hand and/or picking it up; but if your fingerprint scanner was on the front, you could unlock it without picking it up off of a table, for example.

I used to only want rear fingerprint scanners, but I'd certainly be open to a front-facing scanner. I don't really think that one is necessarily better than the other: they both have their advantages.

I place my phone in my pocket head first. As I am I taking it out of my pocket I put my thumb on the front fps to unlock the phone, at least for phones with front fps

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I place my phone in my pocket head first. As I am I taking it out of my pocket I put my thumb on the front fps to unlock the phone, at least for phones with front fps

That is very convenient, for sure! I can definitely see the appeal of a front fingerprint scanner. I love the placement of mine (rear-facing), but I can certainly see how front-facing is also great! My boyfriend's SE has it on the front and so I've seen how seamless the transition from unlock to using can be from that fps location.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Yep! I was using a Dtek60 with FPS on the back. Now using a KEYone...i adapted pretty easily . I'm kinda liking the FPS on the front

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
How did you like the DTEK60?
I actually liked the dtek60. Only weakness was battery life (I'm a extremely heavy user) I work pretty much out of my car, so it was never really an issue for me as my car charger would get me through the day. Do give you an idea of how much I use...people talk about 26 hours on the KeyOne. I'm closer to 10hrs. Nevertheless, the Dtek60 I'm my opinion certainly needs a case as the glass back begs for protection.

Supper snappy device, BlackBerry is pretty quick with security patches. And overall , it's a pretty good phone. I only got rid of it because I turn over devices pretty quick.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually liked the dtek60. Only weakness was battery life (I'm a extremely heavy user) I work pretty much out of my car, so it was never really an issue for me as my car charger would get me through the day. Do give you an idea of how much I use...people talk about 26 hours on the KeyOne. I'm closer to 10hrs. Nevertheless, the Dtek60 I'm my opinion certainly needs a case as the glass back begs for protection.

Supper snappy device, BlackBerry is pretty quick with security patches. And overall , it's a pretty good phone. I only got rid of it because I turn over devices pretty quick.

Glad you liked it! It seemed like a really solid device. Yup, BB is great with security updates! I miss owning a BlackBerry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante