Fingerprint Scanner: Front or Rear?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Back FPS makes more sense due to how I use my phone. Rarely use phones flat on a table and like the convenience of removing phone from pants and using back FPS. Removing the phone then trying to use front FPS always seems a bit awkward.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I actually liked the dtek60. Only weakness was battery life (I'm a extremely heavy user) I work pretty much out of my car, so it was never really an issue for me as my car charger would get me through the day. Do give you an idea of how much I use...people talk about 26 hours on the KeyOne. I'm closer to 10hrs. Nevertheless, the Dtek60 I'm my opinion certainly needs a case as the glass back begs for protection.

Supper snappy device, BlackBerry is pretty quick with security patches. And overall , it's a pretty good phone. I only got rid of it because I turn over devices pretty quick.

That's pretty cool. I love the quick security patches on blackberry. They are the only ones outside Google who consistently give timelttsecurity updates across all their devices.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Back FPS makes more sense due to how I use my phone. Rarely use phones flat on a table and like the convenience of removing phone from pants and using back FPS. Removing the phone then trying to use front FPS always seems a bit awkward.

When you say removing the phone, address you referring to taking it out of your pocket?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the front FPS is the main reason I haven't fully replaced my 6P with the OP3T I've had for 2 months.

I guess i don't have that problem. I put the phone in my pocket head first and facing inside to my leg. When i pull the phone out, my thumb is on the front fps to unlock it

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I like both for different reasons. Have used lots of phones with them in each place. The only I have really not liked so far is the galaxy s8. Disabled it after a bit and went with an old school pin and smart lock. Other than that I'm happy with front or back as long as it is fast and reliable

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I like both for different reasons. Have used lots of phones with them in each place. The only I have really not liked so far is the galaxy s8. Disabled it after a bit and went with an old school pin and smart lock. Other than that I'm happy with front or back as long as it is fast and reliable

Well the s8 was presumably a last minute effort because they couldn't get the on screen fps to work. Hopefully it should be corrected in a future model

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't really have a preference as long as they work. on my s8+ I only use the iris scanner. it works so well and it's so nice to just pick up my phone and look at it. I even wear glasses and don't have issues with it working.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't really have a preference as long as they work. on my s8+ I only use the iris scanner. it works so well and it's so nice to just pick up my phone and look at it. I even wear glasses and don't have issues with it working.

Good point about the iris scanner. The iris scanner has to be used with the phone directly facing the eye right?

Snapphane

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
As a P10 Plus owner, I don't mind the front scanner even if the wife's Honor 8's back scanner DO feel better.

What I'm missing from Honor 8 is all the shortcuts like browsing photos and pulling down the notification shade. Add in some of those features and they could probably even put it on the side, Sony style .

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As a P10 Plus owner, I don't mind the front scanner even if the wife's Honor 8's back scanner DO feel better.

What I'm missing from Honor 8 is all the shortcuts like browsing photos and pulling down the notification shade. Add in some of those features and they could probably even put it on the side, Sony style .
Those are on the honor 8

74503e1c97d09a02f12423fc124b175d.jpg

Snapphane

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they are on the Honor 8 and if they would also be on the other phones, placement of the scanner wouldn't matter as much ??????