Do you think the Honor 9 ever gets released in the US?

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't know why they don't hit up Sprint. Sprint literally will carry any phone. The only ones to offer the HTC U11, first to offer the essential phone. Sprint is all about saving money seems like it would be a no brainer to launch make the honor brand available through Sprint. Being that they are owned by a Japanese company, I feel that it would be easy to accomplish that task.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why they don't hit up Sprint. Sprint literally will carry any phone. The only ones to offer the HTC U11, first to offer the essential phone. Sprint is all about saving money seems like it would be a no brainer to launch make the honor brand available through Sprint. Being that they are owned by a Japanese company, I feel that it would be easy to accomplish that task.

Sprint might ask for an exclusivity deal, which could be a deal breaker. They might not want to lock themselves into a fourth rate carrier.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They could do what essential phone is doing and have Sprint as a launch partner, and then bring it to the other carriers.

Has there been confirmed launch dates for other carriers?

Even if they could though, it could be risky...poor sales on Sprint could cause another carrier to back out

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Has there been confirmed launch dates for other carriers?

Even if they could though, it could be risky...poor sales on Sprint could cause another carrier to back out

I haven't read confirmed launch dates. It has be sighted several times that Sprint doesn't have an exclusive with essential past the intial launch of the phone. I happen to be on Sprint and I really want to try the essential and I have an upgrade waiting. Rumors is Friday the 18th it launches on Sprint.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read confirmed launch dates. It has be sighted several times that Sprint doesn't have an exclusive with essential past the intial launch of the phone. I happen to be on Sprint and I really want to try the essential and I have an upgrade waiting. Rumors is Friday the 18th it launches on Sprint.

It's certainly good for those on Sprint who want to try it out.

The other carriers could be holding out to see how good it is before bringing it on.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Sprint might ask for an exclusivity deal, which could be a deal breaker. They might not want to lock themselves into a fourth rate carrier.

Isn't one of the reason they can't sell Verizon or sprint phone cause they don't have CDMA capabilities in their chips ? Only Qualcomm does ? Idk how Apple is doing it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Isn't one of the reason they can't sell Verizon or sprint phone cause they don't have CDMA capabilities in their chips ? Only Qualcomm does ? Idk how Apple is doing it.

Huawei does make cdma compatible chips... Certain variants of the mate 9 with Huawei chip does work on CDMA.
iPhones running on CDMA does use a Qualcomm baseband processor

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Huawei does make cdma compatible chips... Certain variants of the mate 9 with Huawei chip does work on CDMA.
iPhones running on CDMA does use a Qualcomm baseband processor

Ah I thought I read somewhere that Qualcomm has that patent or something. Good to know

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah I thought I read somewhere that Qualcomm has that patent or something. Good to know

Qualcomm does have CDMA patents. Huawei was able to create a CDMA compatible chip without infringing on Qualcomm patents. Allegedly. Though no Huawei phone with CDMA compatible technology has been released in the states so i don't know if Qualcomm will sue claiming that it does infringe on their proprietary technology.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Qualcomm has something to do with cdma for sure. I think they own the technology. The reason why samaung us phones get Qualcomm chipsets and the rest get samsungs chipsets.

That's the thing. Why all androids are using Snapdragon chips in the states cause of Qualcomm. It's sad cause there are better processors out there than Snapdragon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's the thing. Why all androids are using Snapdragon chips in the states cause of Qualcomm. It's sad cause there are better processors out there than Snapdragon

There's no technical reason why they can't use another chip. They just need to couple it with a Qualcomm baseband processor, or Huawei even makes the kirin 960 which is cdma compatible.

Even Samsung had a few phones without Qualcomm cpu in the usa previously.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
There's no technical reason why they can't use another chip. They just need to couple it with a Qualcomm baseband processor, or Huawei even makes the kirin 960 which is cdma compatible.

Even Samsung had a few phones without Qualcomm cpu in the usa previously.

The note 5 had did have the Samsung chipset in it in the US. Sounds like something of a monopoly if you ask me. Probably why apple is going after Qualcomm after they started using Intel modems instead of Qualcomm modems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay