Apps close randomly after I use them for a while

Phelit

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi all!

I have a Honor 9 phone and this strange thing is happening: Any app I use (it can be games, Facebook, Instagram, anything) every now and then it shuts down. It doesn't crash, it just shuts down. All of a sudden I am back to the home screen of my phone and the app isn't even listed (well, sometimes it is) in the history app list. There is no set event that triggers it, the phone isn't overheated and everything works fine. Sometimes I use an app for hours, other times the same app shuts down after 5 minutes. While with some apps it's not a big problem, with games it is! Imagine spending 20 minutes fighting a boss and all of a sudden you have to start over again because the app just ... closed!

Does anyone have a solution or some help to spare?

Thank you!

Phelit

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved from the Android Apps forum to the Honor 9 forum, since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Any power-saving modes turned on? Huawei tends to be pretty aggressive with RAM management. Or do you have any 3rd party "RAM booster" apps installed?

Phelit

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved from the Android Apps forum to the Honor 9 forum, since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Any power-saving modes turned on? Huawei tends to be pretty aggressive with RAM management. Or do you have any 3rd party "RAM booster" apps installed?

Actually no, I didn't install anything weird on the phone. Just games and social apps. And it feels strange it could be RAM problems. Apps shut down even if they are the only app working! Even if I restart the phone and start using one app, that app every now and then shuts down.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the RAM management of the Huawei system is glitching -- see what happens if you "protect" an app in the system menu that has to do with memory management.

Also, do you have a screen protector or a case on? If so, maybe it's causing phantom touches in the area of the Home button.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Happens on my Huawei M3 when I first got it but it stopped now. How long have you had your phone for ?

Maybe do a full factory reset after backing up the phone and see if it stops.

Phelit

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Maybe the RAM management of the Huawei system is glitching -- see what happens if you "protect" an app in the system menu that has to do with memory management.

Also, do you have a screen protector or a case on? If so, maybe it's causing phantom touches in the area of the Home button.

How do I protect the app? I tried an app that uses more CPU and MEMORY and it closes more often, so I think it is something linked to Memory usage. The phone has no protectors.

Phelit

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Happens on my Huawei M3 when I first got it but it stopped now. How long have you had your phone for ?

Maybe do a full factory reset after backing up the phone and see if it stops.

The phone is just over 2 months old and it always did that. A full factory reset could be a possibility, but, as I said, the phone is practlically new, so I don't see how it could make a difference.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
The phone is just over 2 months old and it always did that. A full factory reset could be a possibility, but, as I said, the phone is practlically new, so I don't see how it could make a difference.

Some issues get fixed after doing a factory reset. Try it. If it doesn't work, call huawei customer service.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How do I protect the app? I tried an app that uses more CPU and MEMORY and it closes more often, so I think it is something linked to Memory usage. The phone has no protectors.

On my Honor 5X (running EMUI 4.0), it's in Settings>Advanced Settings>Battery Manager>Protected Apps. But it may very well be in a different menu location on your Honor 9. Try using the search function in the Settings menu to look for "protected."

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The other thing you can try is to close all other apps before opening the game.

Btw, this happened on my iPhone as well so it isn't just a problem with this phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay