Just ordered HP Chromebook 14 with 4G

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
OK I finally made the decision for a chrome book. I was undecided between the Toshiba or the HP. I went with the HP I think I made good choice. Should be here Friday. How do you like your chrome 14?

Give your furry friend a hug today! 🐶

Last edited by a moderator:

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Just ordered HP chrome book 14 with 4g

Pretty satisfied so far. Free 200mb/mo gets used up pretty quick but good for checking email in a bind. Nice thing is that the interface for buying more data (if you need it) is pretty easy to use. Chrome OS is lightning fast. The only bottleneck, as far as I can tell, is my wireless connection. The resolution still blows at 1366x768 but is slightly more tolerable on a larger screen. I've gotten pretty solid performance with Debian as well, with my media and office apps running pretty smooth.

Physical build quality is nice. The rubbery surface takes fingerprints in spots but grips easy and will probably take scratches well. I like the keyboard, the keys feel good though one of my keys was damaged out of the box, which was a tad frustrating. The touchpad has a smoother finish than the Samsung 3 and feels better, though it's a bit large. I find myself accidently tapping it frequently.

The only drawback I can think of really is the 16 GB SSD, which can be upgraded by the end user and is only really an issue if you're dual booting anyway. Battery life is incredible.

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for your input. I agree with the ssd should be @ least 32. I was also considering the Acer because not had the 32 GB sad but only 2gb of memory. Guess there are sacrifices no matter which way you go.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

Well my HP chrome book with 4g arrive Friday and I am loving it. What a sweet machine. I am very impressed. The screen looks great to me and the speed is great. I made a good choice!

Give your furry friend a hug today! 🐶

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

For me the 16GB seems like it may be too much or just the right amount. There's not much of a way to store anything locally that isn't supplemented by an automatic cloud backup, which makes it easily recyclable space. IMO the minimum space a Windows machine needs is around 256GB, minimum for Android is 16-32, ChromeOS seems like 16 is about right.

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

Well I am very happy so far with it.. If ever consider a chrome book check the HP 14 out. At 349 it s well worth it and lifetime 4 g from tmobile

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for your input. I agree with the ssd should be @ least 32. I was also considering the Acer because not had the 32 GB sad but only 2gb of memory. Guess there are sacrifices no matter which way you go.

Based on my experience with my Samsung Chromebook Series 3, which I've owned since January 2013, a chromebook can operate just fine on 2GB of RAM.

I personally think the HP Chromebook 14 is too big (or more accurately, too heavy), but to each his/her own.

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree it is a little bit hefty but I think is a well.done machine. I was considering the Toshiba 13.3 inch but the 4g and the.extra ram sold me.

Give your furry friend a hug today :-D

Last edited:

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

It is definitely to heavy for carrying around IMO. I upgraded from a Samsung 3, which I still have. The 3 is set to dev channel and has all kinds of weird stuff on it from me messing in the command line but it is stll my go-to if I have to do a lot of traveling. There's a lot to be said for such a light device. The HP 14 is just perfect though if I'm lounging around in my house.

For me the 16GB seems like it may be too much or just the right amount. There's not much of a way to store anything locally that isn't supplemented by an automatic cloud backup, which makes it easily recyclable space. IMO the minimum space a Windows machine needs is around 256GB, minimum for Android is 16-32, ChromeOS seems like 16 is about right.

After a few weeks of messing around with different crouton setups, etc. I am inclined to believe that you are correct. 16GB is adequate for at least one chroot. If I had a larger SSD, it would mainly be used for having more Linux setups sitting on the drive. I don't keep any media on the chromebook. I have a 64 GB SDXC card for that and it works really well.

I never got close to using all that space when I was just running Chrome OS. There was just nothing I needed to leave locally on my chromebook that wouldn't be a better fit on my SD card (easier to move to my other systems) or Drive.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I got the Acer 720. I agree since there isn't really much to download, 16 GB might be just enough.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Now that I have had my HP.chrome book for almost 2 months, I have to say it is s fantastic machine. I would not trade it for a touchscreen model. It is fast because of chrome and the battery life is amazing. No one would be.sorry to own one and free.lte from tmobile is a nice little Benny.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Now that I have had my HP.chrome book for almost 2 months, I have to say it is s fantastic machine. I would not trade it for a touchscreen model. It is fast because of chrome and the battery life is amazing. No one would be.sorry to own one and free.lte from tmobile is a nice little Benny.

I have to agree, absolutely love my Chromebook :)

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Chrome books are great, which one do you have?

Give your furry friend a hug today! 

This one:

IMG_20140518_160901.jpg

Yeah dude, that's a lightbar :)

IMG_20140518_160944.jpg

Awesome keyboard, best screen on a sub $700 laptop and nice matte finish on the trackpad.

IMG_20140518_161011.jpg

I don't know why it says Chrome here, but figured I'd get a shot of that....

IMG_20140518_161039.jpg

A little more styling and a shout out to some weird Google company, not sure what that's about. :p

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Man, the Chromebook 11 is a real beauty. I hope they refresh it with some better internals. Say, what's in the Samsung 2. I still use the 2012 Samsung Chromebook and I just couldn't bring myself to buy the same computer with a slightly better screen.

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I got the Chromebook 14, but no cellular. 14" screen, just under 3.5 lbs. Refurb. So far, using it as a consumption device for internet, Google software, and ebook reader.

My issues thus far have included:
-Did get a column of keys that didn't work... 8ik,]
It was still under HP 90-day warranty, so it was no cost to send it in. They fixed it and sent it back just fine, within a week.
---Only sub-issue here was for some reason, they couldn't get FedEx to hold the return box at a local FedEx location. I had to go back home to pick up something during a workday, and happened to be home luckily.
-a couple of times, the thing just "ftzz", turned off on me for no good reason. Well, it was probably to force a restart, which I left hanging for a while. On one hand, I was able to open tabs and reaccess those sites b/c they were still "bookmarked". OTOH, a warning or prompt would've been nice.
-A few out of memory errors according to what the browser tabs say. Doesn't happen often, but I make sure to close tabs I'm not using.

Overall, I'm liking it. It may not have been true before, but stuff like Google Office and Ebooks being usable offline makes a nice difference. Do wish it had slihgly higher specs. Like 4GB of RAM instead of 2GB, and it'd be nice to know I have 32 GB of storage, instead of a 16 local drive. Oh well. It still runs mostly fine despite lacking those.
I can fit this, a 11" Lenovo w/Win10, and Ipad Air in my backpack just fine. However, if I had to choose between the former 2, the Win10 laptop has more utility offline, and is smaller (even though both are just under 3.5 lbs). I can still do stuff offline on the CB, and with wifi, it's a much better browsing experience on that. My Ipad Air is mostly a gaming device. NOt really needed, but taken since it is light and smaller.

More detailed thoughts here....
http://forums.androidcentral.com/chromebooks/603720-i-just-don-t-get-point.html#post4956948

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty