Does you touchpad and/or keyboard ever fail to respond after waking from sleep?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased the HP Chromebook X360 14. I like it so far, overall, particularly the speed -- I specifically decided to get it because of the i3 processor and 8 GB RAM. But one time I tried to open and use my Chromebook, it came up in tablet mode. I believe in that case I managed to fix it by putting it to sleep, and making sure it was sitting flat when I reopened the Chromebook -- it would not go out of tablet mode while awake despite sitting flat in laptop mode.

Later that evening, I woke the Chromebook and it would not respond to the touchpad (not sure I checked the keyboard) and there was no mouse cursor on screen. I'd say it was in tablet mode, but the did not look as if it were in tablet mode (no icons on the screen). The touchscreen did work but I couldn't find anything to "fix" it. I again tried putting it to sleep, with no luck, then tried making it sleep using the power button. At this point, it wanted me to enter my password and the keyboard and touchpad would not work (and the onscreen keyboard never popped up). I ended up rebooting it and it worked fine after.

I'm just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar? If so, what fix is there, if any? Or, do I need to replace this Chromebook?

FADERbleed

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Just tilt the laptop a few degrees forward when returning to normal (clamshell) mode and the keyboard and TP will activate...
Also, did you know you can control the keyboard brightness by pressing Alt + brightness keys.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I know my HP Chromebook has always seemed to use just as much battery turned off as if I just left it on all the time... it's done it from brand new. Works great, and great battery life on, but if I shut it down, since I don't use it much anymore, I have to recharge it every couple of weeks or it goes completely dead. Seems like it should go a little longer on a full charge turned off?

Maybe Chrome OS is just a huge battery drainer when the device is off. I've never had another device behave that way before, but this is also my first Chromebook.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I know my HP Chromebook has always seemed to use just as much battery turned off as if I just left it on all the time... it's done it from brand new. Works great, and great battery life on, but if I shut it down, since I don't use it much anymore, I have to recharge it every couple of weeks or it goes completely dead. Seems like it should go a little longer on a full charge turned off?

Maybe Chrome OS is just a huge battery drainer when the device is off. I've never had another device behave that way before, but this is also my first Chromebook.

In the power settings, do you have it set to sleep while charging and when the lid is closed?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
In the power settings, do you have it set to sleep while charging and when the lid is closed?

I'm going to check that tomorrow ;) It's set to turn on when I open the screen, but I always turn it off in the menu when I'm done before I close it. It definitely acts like it's staying on though....in fact the more I think about it, I wonder if it is hibernating? I'm going to turn off the auto on when I open the screen, and look through the power settings. Thanks for the feedback B :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2