Photos on SD card not visible

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
New Chromebook user here and just picked up the HP X360 14 to replace my aging Samsung tablet. I really enjoy surfing and YouTube watching but disappointed in viewing pictures. I keep my vacation photos on an SD card and the photos are readable when I first insert the card and open the Files app but after a few minutes the card seems to be blank. I tried a different card with a fresh download of photos and same thing. Visible at first and not later.

I even tried a USB A card reader and got the same results. Am I missing something? What good is the SD card if you can`t retrieve what's on it? Any help is appreciated since I really like this device otherwise.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are other files on the card still showing up? Do you still see the actual /DCIM/Camera directory on the card?

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
When the files disappear nothing is shown in the directory for the card. The first time it happened I kicked the card out and got a message to be careful, not ejecting the card correctly can cause problems. Since that message popped up it seems the Chromebook knows there's a card there. It was after that I tried a fresh download on a different card. I got to wondering if the card size is too large. First one was a Scandisk 200 gig & the second was a Samsung 128 gig. I tried the USB A card reader to eliminate the possibility of a problem with the micro SD slot having a problem. It's got me baffled......

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same Chromebook, and haven't noticed an issue yet with the SD reader -- but to be honest, I haven't done a lot with SD cards on it. Your Chrome OS is fully up to date, and on the Stable Channel, correct?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Click the lower right where the clock is, the click the gear icon, then About Chrome OS. You should see the Chrome OS version there. Click the Check For Updates button.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The specs say SDXC, so anything up to 2TB (which doesn't yet exist) should work. The quality of the card may matter. Many cheap SD cards are merely reprogrammed smaller cards, so a "256GB" card may be a 4GB card, programmed to say it's 256GB. As soon as you fill it with more than 4GB, though, you're wiping the card out. (I doubt that anyone did that with 16GB cards, though - maybe used 16GB cards to reprogram as much larger ones. But if the card says it's 16GB, it should be.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781