webOS Conversation

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, are we allowed to talk about webOS in here or will such threads get summarily merged and moved around the back next to the discarded washing machine and incontinent tramp?

Best to get these things clear from the get-go ;)

cgk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Right - I guess maybe we keep it all to one thread and eventually a mod will let us know?

Or maybe like at WebOS they will just delete and lock thread and we'll find out that way.

:D

Edit: I've asked a mod so maybe we will get some feedback soon?

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Right - I guess maybe we keep it all to one thread and eventually a mod will let us know?

Or maybe like at WebOS they will just delete and lock thread and we'll find out that way.

:D

Edit: I've asked a mod so maybe we will get some feedback soon?

Good work, looking forward to some closure ;)

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if we whisper it will be allowed ;)

I don't mind the OS at all but the lack of apps makes it useless for me. The keyboard, with number row, is quite nice.

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear, I was being a bit facetious, the number of Touchpad related sites I am following is ridiculous but in these times of exciting developments I don't mind one bit.

Hell, I've even joined Twitter, something I swore I would never do for reasons even I can explain.

What with webOS updates (Will mine install by itself? Who knows ... ;)) and everything else I'm looking forward to a bit of stability in my Touchpad life.

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The mods say it's cool (obvious as long as debate doesn't stray into personal attacks...)

Of course ;)

I've been in CM7 all afternoon and evening and hopped back to webOS for an overnight charge/stability run ... Man, the delay in the latter is spectacular ...

I can't say I'm encouraged to install 3.0.4 based on reports either, not sure I can select 'Install Later' enough times to stop it though ... It's like being pursued by the bleeding Borg.

cgk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Of course ;)

I've been in CM7 all afternoon and evening and hopped back to webOS for an overnight charge/stability run ... Man, the delay in the latter is spectacular ...

I can't say I'm encouraged to install 3.0.4 based on reports either, not sure I can select 'Install Later' enough times to stop it though ... It's like being pursued by the bleeding Borg.

I see preware patches are now update so that might help.

greentiger1

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Having problems installing Webos 3.0.4 update with cyanogenmod installed. Touchpad downloads OTA update. Starts to install and tries to reboot. When it reboots the moboot window jumps up so I can choose which os to load. If I choose webos it loads then tells me the update failed. Can anyone help. Tryingo avoid using the doctor.

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I see preware patches are now update so that might help.

That's good news, I'm still fighting to stay on 3.0.2 for now though.

I was having a merry time last night what with playing around with some apps and live wallpaper ... I know the initial fun factor will fade and I'll start to notice the quirks but I do like trying something new.

marcedhk

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I installed 3.0.4 two days ago, and my TP is a bit snappier for sure. I hadn't done any overclocking or anything previously, so for me it was worth it.

My 2 main beefs with webOS still haven't been addressed though. I find typing stuff really laborious as the on screen keyboard doesn't seem to have any sort of error correction. For example, I type 'a' and as my finger is coming up it brushes the 's'. I would expect the TP would ignore the 's' and register 'a', but no, it registers as 's'. As a result I constantly have to keep going back to correct stuff, which leads to my second complaint - no back arrow, and it's nigh on impossible to click to the exact letter you need to edit unless you zoom in a lot.

The funny thing too is I thought it would be easy typing on TP because the keyboard is nice and big, but in actuality when I use the tiny keyboard on my iPod Touch I make much fewer mistakes. Also, the iPod has this really cool feature where if you hold your finger down on text you've written it will enlarge just that area, and then you can drag the cursor to the letter you need.

These are little things, but it does make a big difference in the user experience.

brshoemak

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded to 3.0.4 when it came out, no real big issues thus far - just a few minor ones. I agree that the keyboard needs work, it is sometimes hard to type and the auto-correct is just insane sometimes.

As far as Android goes, I'm waiting until it's finished before I jump on board - but I appreciate the hoards who are installing the alpha(2) and helping to flush out bugs. Some people have said that their alpha installs don't work after the 3.0.4 upgrade even though most believed that the WebOS software would have no effect on Android since it loads in a pre-boot environment. Not sure if that's still the case or not.

If it IS the case, I hope future WebOS upgrades (if there are any more) don't kill the Android install and force a re-installation.

jblather

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I activated the Touchpad on Weds (two days ago), then upgraded to 3.0.4 the same night. Then last night, I installed Alpha2 CM7.

Only two things I find wrong with it so far:
1) when rebooting Android or rebooting from Android into webOS, it hangs. I left it over night. Next morning, still had the dark screen. Had to do the home-power button for 15 secs to get it to boot. No ill effects as far as I can tell. No problems booting from webOS into Android.

2) The minimum brightness of the backlight is WAAAAY too bright. Oh well.

Otherwise, everything else seems to be ok, but I'm a Noobie at Android and only had a grand total of three hours playing with it. I didn't even know about this thing called the "Market" until a couple hours ago.

I was able to view 720p streaming video on it. Seemed pretty smooth.

CM7 Alpha2 is wicked fast on the TouchPad!

moshe5368

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The 3.0.4 update trashed all the preware tweeks like the uberkernel but they had updated kernels out 2 days later. I am a longtime cm7 user but have to admit, some of the webos features are nice. I just got my touchpad a day before the 3.0.4 update and installed cm7 a2.1 yesterday. Wicked fast boot time. Still getting everything set up like I had it on my nook color but I have only had 1 minor wifi issue since instillation. I ran FXR wifi fixer and all problems went away. Bluetooth keyboard setup works well on both sides of the touchpad (cm7 and webos). I prefer an external kbd for typing so it was a good thing to find out.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

Xsever

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I too installed CM7 Alpha 2.1 on my TP, and I find Android much more exciting and full of features, apps, customization.

I had WebOS figured out in about a week. I had apps and patches installed and was enjoying it before I tried CM7. Now that I had experience with both, each OS has its pros and cons of course, but Android is much more grown and I am still learning whereas with WebOS, my knowledge was saturated.

I miss the multitasking feature in WebOS the most which is very easy versus Android where it's not bad, but not as great. Battery life in CM7 is also not so good, but I believe future updates will solve this.

I am still using WebOS 3.0.2 since I am waiting for all the patches to get updated to 3.0.4.

Until then, CM7 it is. I am currently experimenting with different CPU governors to see if setting POWERSAVE governor at night during standby will result in a smaller battery drain.

The lack "awesome" apps in WebOS is also a big problem. Anyone who haven't tried the app called "Pulse" in CM7, go ahead and do so, and let me know how amazed you are!

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I too installed CM7 Alpha 2.1 on my TP, and I find Android much more exciting and full of features, apps, customization.

I had WebOS figured out in about a week. I had apps and patches installed and was enjoying it before I tried CM7. Now that I had experience with both, each OS has its pros and cons of course, but Android is much more grown and I am still learning whereas with WebOS, my knowledge was saturated.

I miss the multitasking feature in WebOS the most which is very easy versus Android where it's not bad, but not as great. Battery life in CM7 is also not so good, but I believe future updates will solve this.

I am still using WebOS 3.0.2 since I am waiting for all the patches to get updated to 3.0.4.

Until then, CM7 it is. I am currently experimenting with different CPU governors to see if setting POWERSAVE governor at night during standby will result in a smaller battery drain.

The lack "awesome" apps in WebOS is also a big problem. Anyone who haven't tried the app called "Pulse" in CM7, go ahead and do so, and let me know how amazed you are!

Yeh, Pulse is good, I installed that a couple of nights ago. :cool:

I'm still booting back to webOS overnight for a charge and some kind of improved 'stability' that I'm probably imagining.

I've had one hang on the boot back but apart from that everything has been great.

I'm still on 3.0.2 too, to be honest I am just using the browser in webOS at the moment and as quirky (and jerky) as that is I will wear the pain for the sake of stability.

moshe5368

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
There really is a lot more to webos than the surface apps. Look at the enyo programming environment. Most of the tablet webos apps are developed in enyo. I don't believe I could reach the saturation point with that os for quite some time.

It was a real switch for me to come from a unix environment to android and I still have a long way to go. I can find my way around in the terminal but sometimes I have to go back to the manuals because some of the command structure is a bit different.

Android could use some of the polish shown in the email app on webos but the lack of development (and now interest) in webos dooms it to the book shelf for me.

As for cm7, I have much more experience there and love the environment. The touch pad display is great for cm7 and even my tired old eyes can stand for long sessions on it.

Thanks Dallengrin & company for another great port of cm7. We now have great hardware and an equally great software package to go with it.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

cgk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Android could use some of the polish shown in the email app

I believe that Kaiten mail (paid) replicates what you find in the WebOS email client - however I exclusively use the gmail client for all my email accounts so I'm only repeating what I've heard. Having said that, I believe that K-9 mail (free) is the best of the breed (but not tablet specific) for android.

I see the "will you use Ice-cream sandwich" thread in the PC touchpad forum was quickly banished to the basement once it became clear that more people were voting yes rather than no. How dare those users express a preference!

Last edited:

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe that Kaiten mail (paid) replicates what you find in the WebOS email client - however I exclusively use the gmail client for all my email accounts so I'm only repeating what I've heard. Having said that, I believe that K-9 mail (free) is the best of the breed (but not tablet specific) for android.

I see the "will you use Ice-cream sandwich" thread in the PC touchpad forum was quickly banished to the basement once it became care that more people were voting yes rather than no. How dare those users express a preference!

Hehehe, it lasted pretty well in the 'Wonderful World Of webOS Showcase' section though didn't it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad