[TUT] Installing Android CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a on HP TouchPad

JCochrane

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
"TUTORIAL" Installing Android 2.3.7 CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a on HP Touchpad.
NOTE: PERFORM AT OWN RISK, VOIDS WARRANTY AND COULD BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!!!

PLEASE OPEN THE BELOW LINK AND READ THROUGH THE COMPLETE POST AS IT HAS USEFUL INFORMATION THAT YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU INSTALL. ALSO, IF YOU FIND THAT THE LINKS IN THIS TUTORIAL ARE DEAD THEN YOU CAN BROWSE TO THIS POST TO DOWNLOAD THE UPDATED FILES:

[RELEASE][ALPHA2][Discussion] CyanogenMod team Touchpad port

Novacom - download and install Novacom on your computer using the file below:

http://universal-novacom-installer.googlecode.com/files/UniversalNovacomInstaller.jar

ACMEInstaller - After Novacom is installed download and unzip the file below and put ACMEInstaller file in the X:/Program Files/Palm, Inc/ directory on your harddrive:

install-3.png

http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad/alpha2/ACMEInstaller.zip

Once you have done that then attach your HP Touchpad to your computer via usb and make a folder on the root of your Touchpad called "cminstall".

webos-usb.png

Download the below files and put them in the cminstall folder:

install-2.png

CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a for HP TouchPad:
http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad/alpha2/update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a2.1-fullofbugs.zip

ClockWorkMod Recovery:
http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad/alpha1/update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip

Moboot Boot Loader:
http://moboot.googlecode.com/files/moboot_0.3.3.zip

Google Apps:
http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Once the above files are on your Touchpad (LEAVE TOUCHPAD CONNECTED TO COMPUTER VIA USB CABLE), within WebOS press menu button go all the way to the right to "Settings", click on "Device Information" then click "Reset Options" (red button at the bottom) then click "Restart" and instantly press and hold the Volume up button down until the device goes to a USB drive screen.

touchpad-usb.jpg

Now run command prompt as administrator on your computer and navigate to X:/Program Files/Palm, Inc/ directory and run command:

bootloader-install.png

novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller

Android will now start to install on the touchpad, wait for it to finnish and it will boot into Cyanogenmod, Congratz!!!! Android is now installed!!!!!

touchpad-android-boot.jpg

If you already have android installed on your touchpad and you would like to update to the latest version just download the updated install zip and copy to the root of your touchpad, boot into recovery and flash the zip file.

NOTE: USE VOLUME KEY TO NAVIGATE UP AND DOWN IN RECOVERY AND USE THE MENU BUTTON TO SELECT OPTIONS

Enjoy! :) REMEMBER THIS IS STILL IN ALPHA AND YOU WILL EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS!!!

Last edited:

Micky5298

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: [TUT] Installing Android CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a on HP Touch

Wow, perfectly clear and precise. This is got to be the easiest and most straightforward tutorial available.

Amazing write up. This NEEDS to be a sticky!

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Wow, perfectly clear and precise. This is got to be the easiest and most straightforward tutorial available.

Agree with that, nice work!

kaitlyn2004

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

It seems stuck on "Initial install files not found.... name should start with update-cm and end with .zip"

and thats where you say to put that separate download there - but I don't have USB mode yet... I cannot put anything on the device?

Jman1313

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this! After I stupidly right clicked on your links and had a failed install, I clicked through, downloaded the right files and was up and running with Android in 15 minutes.

leastbay

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

think I got it, I was extracting the files instead of keeping the zips

Last edited:

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site

No offense meant but it probably shouldn't be a sticky when the OP has 1 post on the forum and linked directly to the install files. Chances are it would not get updated once a new version comes out (which will likely be very soon)...

JCochrane

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

No offense meant but it probably shouldn't be a sticky when the OP has 1 post on the forum and linked directly to the install files. Chances are it would not get updated once a new version comes out (which will likely be very soon)...

no offense taken :) just trying to help people out, I do plan on updating the files in the post as soon as a new version is available and in case I don't get to it soon enough I have listed in the tutorial a link to the post on rootzwiki that would have the updated links.

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site
no offense taken :) just trying to help people out, I do plan on updating the files in the post as soon as a new version is available and in case I don't get to it soon enough I have listed in the tutorial a link to the post on rootzwiki that would have the updated links.

Awesome, that works for me.

I have just seen it too many times where someone makes a helpful post, people ask questions, but the OP has moved on "to bigger and better things". :)

JCochrane

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

It seems stuck on "Initial install files not found.... name should start with update-cm and end with .zip"

and thats where you say to put that separate download there - but I don't have USB mode yet... I cannot put anything on the device?

are you still having problems? it seems like the error you are getting is that its not seeing the install files within the cminstall folder, double check you named the folder correctly and that you have all the files in there and try the process again.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

It's taking awhile, wasn't sure if anything was happening but seems to have installed. Took approximately 10 minutes One thing I missed as per above instructions, (I was following the original readme) was I didn't put http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip inside the cminstall folder. What issues will that cause, and how do I go about fixing it?

I get to the last step where I have to download that file, it downloads as setup.exe, not a .zip file. I have put that into my root directory, media/internal, but when I go to choose a .zip to apply, I don't see it listed.

Fairly simple installation aside from above issues. New to the whole Android rooting process, but I think I will have a quick learning curve. Thanks for the above post, I think I just need to iron out these few kinks, and I will be on my way.

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site

It's taking awhile, wasn't sure if anything was happening but seems to have installed. Took approximately 10 minutes One thing I missed as per above instructions, (I was following the original readme) was I didn't put http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip inside the cminstall folder. What issues will that cause, and how do I go about fixing it?

I get to the last step where I have to download that file, it downloads as setup.exe, not a .zip file. I have put that into my root directory, media/internal, but when I go to choose a .zip to apply, I don't see it listed.

Fairly simple installation aside from above issues. New to the whole Android rooting process, but I think I will have a quick learning curve. Thanks for the above post, I think I just need to iron out these few kinks, and I will be on my way.

It does take a little bit intially to install. Don't worry about the gapps zip, it can be done afterwards, it is not critical to the installation process; the gapps zip is the Google Apps (Gmail, etc.).

I am not sure which file in particular you are referring to with the .exe, there should not be one in the process. Just zip files which are put into the cminstall folder.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Sorry it's the last link in the first post:

Now run command prompt as administrator on your computer and navigate to X:/Program Files/Palm, Inc/ directory and run command:

Android will now start to install on the touchpad, wait for it to finnish and it will boot into Cyanogenmod, enable usb drive and download the file below and copy to root of your touchpad:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Reboot into recovery (ClockWorkMod) on your Touchpad, select "install from sdcard" then select "choose zip from sdcard" and install the zip you copied to your touchpad, reboot and you are all done.

NOTE: USE VOLUME KEY TO NAVIGATE UP AND DOWN IN RECOVERY AND USE THE MENU BUTTON TO SELECT OPTIONS

Enjoy! REMEMBER THIS IS STILL IN ALPHA AND YOU WILL EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS!!!

It downloads as setup.exe, so I don't know if I have a bad link, or what the scoop is. Aside from whatever this does, everything appears to be working properly. I have my wifi on, and am able to surf atm.

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Sorry it's the last link in the first post:

It downloads as setup.exe, so I don't know if I have a bad link, or what the scoop is. Aside from whatever this does, everything appears to be working properly. I have my wifi on, and am able to surf atm.

Ah yes, you do not need that file. It is the "market fix" for Alpha 1, which allows your TouchPad to see certain incompatible applications in the Android Market. If you used the links from the first post, you installed Alpha 2.1 which includes the "market fix"

You should be good. Enjoy!

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Ok so I guess the only thing to install is the gapps.zip, currently no market available, but I'm guessing that's part of this missing zip?

So I would open up my usb drive, put that .zip file into cminstall, then reboot into clockwork recovery, then install zip from sdcard, navigate to cminstall, select gapps.zip, does that sound right?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Ok so I guess the only thing to install is the gapps.zip, currently no market available, but I'm guessing that's part of this missing zip?

So I would open up my usb drive, put that .zip file into cminstall, then reboot into clockwork recovery, then install zip from sdcard, navigate to cminstall, select gapps.zip, does that sound right?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Yep the gapps zip will have the market.

You don't need to put it into the cminstall folder. Just connect your TP to your computer and drop it in the root of the disk (which is the SDCARD), then boot into recovery and select the zip file.

Reactions: sledge007

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

That was relatively painless. Looks like I got it working. Thanks OP and to you Gratificulous

JCochrane

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, I didn't notice that I had left the market enabler in the tutorial, it's removed now since there is no need for it with alpha 2.1 :D

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

quick question...when i navigate to the palm directory and click on "novacom" icon, the "run" screen just pops up and disappears...is that my finnicky computer or am i clicking on the wrong thing?

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

quick question...when i navigate to the palm directory and click on "novacom" icon, the "run" screen just pops up and disappears...is that my finnicky computer or am i clicking on the wrong thing?

The novacom program is meant to be launched from the command line (The CMD programme in Windows XP terms).

When you double-click on it it will run but because it has nothing to do (it's actions are specified on the command line) it will immediately exit.

On my XP box I would:

-------------------------------------
1) Windows Menu --> Run --> Type 'cmd' <enter>

2) In the resulting box I would type 'CD C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc' to enter the directory (my directory is the default, yours may differ)

3) Then run the command as specified in the installation instructions:
-------------------------------------

Make sure you have extracted the ACMEInstaller file from the zip and it's in the same directory as novacom.exe, it should have no file extension.

Reactions: Quills#WP

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800