external storage on the touchpad

buzz86us

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I have read somewhere that the port on the HP Touchpad is pretty standard and that one could put an external hard drive on it. Any truth to this?

DemonHighwayman

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The last I read about this was people using webos. And some people got it working, but one of the problems was that whatever device you were plugging in had to have it's own power source. So if you were to use an external hdd it would either need to have it's own ac adapter or you would need to have a usb hub with it's own ac adapter.

To date iv'e seen no information on doing this on android, but I believe android left the usb host open or something which was a problem using webos. Also you need a special usb cable or a modified one.

Hansdampf68

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried it with a usb stick and it works.
I plugged a Nokia OTG USB adapter cable ( I had to rasp the end, then its possible to plug it in the tp ;-) ) in the touchpad. Then i connected a ac-powered hub with the otg cable and put the usb-stick in the hub. Now you can find the directorys of the stick, inside the folder mnt/usbdisk.

Its the same way as with webos but without mounting comamnds in the terminal.

By the way, webos is really a good OS but things like tethering with iphone 3g or connecting a usb stick is much easier with the CM7.

Xsever

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried it with a usb stick and it works.
I plugged a Nokia OTG USB adapter cable ( I had to rasp the end, then its possible to plug it in the tp ;-) ) in the touchpad. Then i connected a ac-powered hub with the otg cable and put the usb-stick in the hub. Now you can find the directorys of the stick, inside the folder mnt/usbdisk.

Its the same way as with webos but without mounting comamnds in the terminal.

By the way, webos is really a good OS but things like tethering with iphone 3g or connecting a usb stick is much easier with the CM7.

Nice! Can you link us the the hub you bought please? Or just a link with a picture.

Hansdampf68

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The hub isn't a special one, i bought the cheapest one i found in the shop.
Its this one Sepia USB 2.0 4-Port Hub - aktiv BULK | eBay

But i noticed, that there might be a problem with my external disk. It has a fat32 and a ntfs partition
but i cant even see the fat32 when plugged in.
With webOS and the mounting commands, i was able to see the fat32. Does anybody have some idea about that ?

DemonHighwayman

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The hub isn't a special one, i bought the cheapest one i found in the shop.
Its this one Sepia USB 2.0 4-Port Hub - aktiv BULK | eBay

But i noticed, that there might be a problem with my external disk. It has a fat32 and a ntfs partition
but i cant even see the fat32 when plugged in.
With webOS and the mounting commands, i was able to see the fat32. Does anybody have some idea about that ?

Possibly because ntfs was a microsoft invention and android is linux, I thought fat 16/32 were microsoft to, but possibly not.

Anyway at least it works ! this is great news :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1