Newest kernel (no more SOD)

ncinerate

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
No more workaround softlocker app or cpumaster (higher sleep cpu speed) required. Dalingrin tossed out a slightly updated kernel with a few tweaks/etc that solve the issue (and a few others):

Working Sod Fix From Dalingrin - RootzWiki

Just grab the file, boot into clockworkmod, install the .zip file from the sdcard and you're golden. 2 days with no wifi issues/SOD's and it also seems to have massively improved my battery-life. Removed softlocker and my cpumaster profile for sleep. Beautiful stuff - not quite perfect just yet but a big improvement for me.

Reactions: aznne0

midas69

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it will be in future builds. But be aware, this fixes most of the SOD problems, but not all of them. Since I installed this fix the day it was originally released I've had 2 SODs. That's great compared to daily and sometimes multiple daily lockups. But it's not completely fixed.

It's funny, yesterday I was really happy. I set a new record for me of just over 4 days, over 96 hours of uptime. But that all ended when I got a spontaneous reboot. I would have loved to have seen how long I could have gone.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
What is the SOD? Screen of Death? I've yet to jump on this with my TouchPad... still on the webos side of things.

ncinerate

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen an SOD since I installed this fix - BUT - I do reboot into webOS fairly frequently so I'm not aiming for maximum possible uptime. I get into android, use it, and have no issues. This is a huge improvement from what was happening before I installed the fix (I could expect an SOD almost every time I used the touchpad in android - very annoying). It's been in android now the past 2 days or so with no issues, waking right up as it should. All things considered, it seems quite remarkably stable. Better than I would expect an alpha build to be :).

As for the other questions - the SOD is when the device fails to wake up after putting it to sleep. It's VERY annoying, and requires a hard reboot to fix (holding the power/home button for 30 seconds or so). Not fun. People have been getting around it using programs that keep the processor from going to minimum speeds, and installing programs that prevented hard sleep-mode, but this came at a detriment to battery life. This particular fix allows the touchpad to properly sleep (for the most part - wifi is still active and wasting a bit of battery). Battery life and general usefulness is remarkably improved.

There are also a few other minor fixes in the build - it is effectively the bleeding-edge of development, and may in fact be as far as CM7 goes as the cyanogen team seems to have decided to branch off into ICS development immediately. It's possible we'll get a beta CM7, but it's probably not going to be remarkably better than what we already have with this patch installed. CM7 with this patch and a bit of tweaking is very stable and usable as it sits with minimal issues (the only glaring one that bugs me is full-screen flash video has some artifacting happening, black lines that shimmer in the background of the video).

aznne0

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you have to do anything else before installing the patch? Like clear the caches or osmething?

Thanks

No more workaround softlocker app or cpumaster (higher sleep cpu speed) required. Dalingrin tossed out a slightly updated kernel with a few tweaks/etc that solve the issue (and a few others):

Working Sod Fix From Dalingrin - RootzWiki

Just grab the file, boot into clockworkmod, install the .zip file from the sdcard and you're golden. 2 days with no wifi issues/SOD's and it also seems to have massively improved my battery-life. Removed softlocker and my cpumaster profile for sleep. Beautiful stuff - not quite perfect just yet but a big improvement for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12