CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 3 Released!

dahauss

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Couple of issues I am having with alpha 3

1. WIFI - a lot of times I will turn the unit on (from a screen off only not full off) and it will not show any WIFI connection. I can go to wifi in settings and SOMETIMES I can select my wifi connection again and other times when I click on wifi I get a "NOT RESPONDING" error. Also sometimes when I do get in, I get a connecting and then a disconnected message. This was happening in Alpha 2 also

2. Reboot error. If you hold the power button down and select reboot, android looks like it is going to reboot but then nothing. I have to LONG PRESS the power button to get it to turn back on. I then get the boot menu. This was NOT happening in alpha 2. The TP would reboot fine.

3. I noticed MAIL doesnt always auto-update. Sometimes my cell phone will show new mail but the TP does not show any mail. I press Menu-UPDATE in the mail program but nothing happens. on my phone there is a spinning symbol to show it is updating.. the TP has nothing.. after a long while (5-10 minutes) I hear the sound for new mail.

Any help would be appreciated....

anyone? I have to reboot every day to get the wireless to work.. I dunno why. However today it worked at home but then I brought it to work and it couldnt connect to our wireless and I couldnt even open the wireless settings until I did a reboot.

crutzulee

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
anyone? I have to reboot every day to get the wireless to work.. I dunno why. However today it worked at home but then I brought it to work and it couldnt connect to our wireless and I couldnt even open the wireless settings until I did a reboot.

This was the issue that made the decision to revert back to alpha2 an easy one for me. I go from my home wifi to my work wifi effortlessly on this build. Along with the improved video, I am quite content 7o use alpha2 until ICS.

In fact, the only benefit to alpha 3 for me was the funky crt close animation which I'm sure I can find elsewhere if I truley wanted to.

dahauss

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
This was the issue that made the decision to revert back to alpha2 an easy one for me. I go from my home wifi to my work wifi effortlessly on this build. Along with the improved video, I am quite content 7o use alpha2 until ICS.

In fact, the only benefit to alpha 3 for me was the funky crt close animation which I'm sure I can find elsewhere if I truley wanted to.

Any fix for this yet? Is there any reason not to go back to 2.1?

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

atulmodi

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Steps to return to Alpha 2 (Like uninstall completely and reinstall with Alpha 2 zip file along with other 4 files. Or something easier.

crutzulee

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If your wifi constantly stops working and only a reboot will fix it. If you are not experiencing this problem on A3, then you are good (sit patiently and await ICS!).

The wifi was annoying to me and was the last straw but the video playback was far and away the biggest reason to revert back.

To be honest, after playing around in 3.0 for a couple of days, I could not find a single thing that it did better than 2.1. The improvements in this latest alpha had no positive effect for the ways on which I use my Touchpad. I browse in Opera, Read .PDF formatted magazines with ezpdf, read books with aldiko, and watch movies with mobo player. All of these work flawlessly for me with 2.0 switching between wifi at work and home automatically and no SOD.

3.0 introduced terrible video playback problems ( blocky, jittery video , refusing to play some formats altogether) and wifi issues for me.

I imagine that there must be some minor differences in hardware among the touchpads accounting for peoples different experiences. I am just grateful that there are different versions released so that we can all get what we want. I just hope that the version of ICS released by the CM team supports proper video playback and wifi for my revision of the touchpad.

Vipor

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
As I am a newbie at installing CM7 A3 (just last night), I have not had the time to experience any issues other than the speakers getting distorted when the screen suspends.

When reverting back to 2.1, does that affect any apps or widgets that have been installed? Do they go up in smoke and you have to start over?

The Sh-a-dow

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
One question, will these updates always be Alphas? Or are they planning to release a fully working build? Just deciding whether to put Android on my Touchpad

crutzulee

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
As I am a newbie at installing CM7 A3 (just last night), I have not had the time to experience any issues other than the speakers getting distorted when the screen suspends.

When reverting back to 2.1, does that affect any apps or widgets that have been installed? Do they go up in smoke and you have to start over?

As long as you don't wipe data /factory reset , your apps and Widgets are fine. Simply wipe cache and dalvik (under advanced) and install 2.0 alpha zip. You'll be good to go.

Vipor

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks crutzulee. Played around with the OS last night and liking it. :cool: Experienced the lost Wifi a couple of times last night but am still ok with alpha3 at the moment. If more issues are experienced, I'll think about 2.1. But, then again, ICS should be here soon. We shall see. ;)

Thanks again.

goitsme48

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Personally, with alpha 2, I am having horrible wi-fi issues (at home and work)... when it sleeps, it disconnects and I have tried every possible thing mentioned in this forum and elsewhere to no luck.
I want to go back to alpha 2.. please let me know how I do it?

Somewhere you mentioned: "Simply wipe cache and dalvik then install alpha 2.1 zip in CWM and your back in business on less than 5 minutes." but how do I get there? what do I do to get wipe cache and dalvik? please let me know the steps.

Thanks much!!

As long as you don't wipe data /factory reset , your apps and Widgets are fine. Simply wipe cache and dalvik (under advanced) and install 2.0 alpha zip. You'll be good to go.

The Sh-a-dow

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Installed the Alpha 3 yesterday and seems to be running pretty smoothly, the only issue i have is that when im on the Android Market and press the back arror to go back a page i get an Android Market Error and a forced shut down of the market, anyone experienced this?

Kelemvor33

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the Touchpad realm but after seeing some going on sale, I wanted to find out the current status of this stuff.

My main use would be to get one for my elderly father-in-law to use to browse the web, play some games, etc. Mainly to replace his laptop.

Obviously he is not a tech or hacker so I would need to get it set up, give it to him, and let him run without having any issues with it.

Maybe I missed it but I'm looking for a list of everything that is known to work and more importantly what's known NOT to work.

Thanks for any help!

Vipor

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Installed the Alpha 3 yesterday and seems to be running pretty smoothly, the only issue i have is that when im on the Android Market and press the back arror to go back a page i get an Android Market Error and a forced shut down of the market, anyone experienced this?

I've experienced a few of these "forced shutdowns" when I try and open some apps. :( The apps then start up after the error message is gone. I've only had one app that just would not open at all (forced shutdown error).

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I installed yesterday and so far so good, so overall quite happy.

Only issue I have seen so far (apart from a few FC's) is that Bejewelled2 won't install as it states the hardware is incompatible.

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the TP never locks under Android either. No idea why. I thought that it would have a lock screen when the screen turns off, like my phone. Am I missing something?

goitsme48

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Installed Bejewelled 2 fine on my TP (CM7 Alpha 3)... however it works portrait only.

I installed yesterday and so far so good, so overall quite happy.

Only issue I have seen so far (apart from a few FC's) is that Bejewelled2 won't install as it states the hardware is incompatible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463