What do you want to see from the HTC M10?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This is certainly going to be an interesting year for HTC. I'm not sure what direction they're heading, but I'll assume they'll be an M10. Here's what I'd like to see, and I'll try and be realistic instead of just listing my dream phone!

1) trim down sense. hated what they did with it last year. I don't expect it to be as light as Moto, but head in that direction.
2) black bar, no excuses HTC, figure it out.
3) freshin up the design (copy evleaks version ... that was perfect)
4) 5.5" 1440p display
5) 4000 mAh battery ... this is ambitious, but it would create a lot of buzz and could be what differentiates it from the competition.
6) Snapdragon 820
7) 32GB 64GB options with expandable storage
8) 4GB RAM
9) fingerprint sensor
10) quick charge
11) USB-C
12) wireless charging
13) NFC
14) front facing speakers
15) improved camera (doesn't have to be G4 or S6 level, but I expect iPhone 6+ range
16) offer compact version

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
1. Lighter Sense - Agree
2. No black bar - Agree
3. Haven't seen this one, will trust your judgement.
4. Yep.
5a 4 or 5k
5b Yep
6. 32, 64, 128 - not expandable. sick of expandable.
7. Yep
8. don't care, prefer it not to be there but Android is going that way so ok
9. Yes.
10. meh, but ok.
11a Yep.
12a Yep
11b Yep. Make boomsound more boomier
12b No. It has to beat the G4 and S6. You've been talking about camera for 3 years. Show us something.
13. BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT SCREWING UP THE SPEC SHEET. Smaller <> want a worse phone.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
This is certainly going to be an interesting year for HTC. I'm not sure what direction they're heading, but I'll assume they'll be an M10. Here's what I'd like to see, and I'll try and be realistic instead of just listing my dream phone!

1) trim down sense. hated what they did with it last year. I don't expect it to be as light as Moto, but head in that direction.
2) black bar, no excuses HTC, figure it out.
3) freshin up the design (copy evleaks version ... that was perfect)
4) 5.5" 1440p display
5) 4000 mAh battery ... this is ambitious, but it would create a lot of buzz and could be what differentiates it from the competition.
5) Snapdragon 820
6) 32GB 64GB options with expandable storage
7) 4GB RAM
8) fingerprint sensor
9) quick charge
10) USB-C
11) wireless charging
12) NFC
11) front facing speakers
12) improved camera (doesn't have to be G4 or S6 level, but I expect iPhone 6+ range
13) offer compact version

You basically covered all the things I would look for in any phone let alone the M10 haha! A better camera is a must and I would appreciate a new hardware design. I had the M7 & M8, loved both of them but I didn't bother with the M9,

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
They can keep the black bar and the logo as long as they come through on everything else, especially the damn camera tech. If HTC doesn't nail that for once, they'll still get pilloried online.

My druthers: I still wanna see 'em cough up a One Max successor, so I'd rather they offered a 6" version than a < 5" display. The time's gotta be right for it.

Oh, and they should scrap the metal unibody to give others something to copy.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
They can keep the black bar and the logo as long as they come through on everything else, especially the damn camera tech. If HTC doesn't nail that for once, they'll still get pilloried online.

My druthers: I still wanna see 'em cough up a One Max successor, so I'd rather they offered a 6" version than a < 5" display. The time's gotta be right for it.

Oh, and they should scrap the metal unibody to give others something to copy.

I wouldn't mind seeing then do away with the metal, so long as they don't replace it with glass. I disagree about that black bar though. That's what I hate most about it. Maybe the average Joe doesn't even notice, but I wouldn't even read the spec sheet if I see that hideous black bar again ... especially since Moto and others have proven you can fit front speakers without it.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
There's a new rumor in town.

Looks like we either need a new thread or someone needs to change the name of this one to HTC 02:

Complete specs leak for the HTC O2: 6-inch QHD screen, SD-820, 4GB RAM and IP certification?

nice pull ... looks sick

I emailed AC asking for this thread and they got this and the G4 Pro one up in a few hours. I think for the sake of people knowing where to look, it should still be called the M10 here, but that's definitely a nice pull by you. you should start a new thread with that.

also, HTC often releases devices limited to Asia, so it's possible this won't make it across the pond. hopefully they've learned from their mistakes but this is HTC after all so we'll see.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The only point I disagree on is screen size. If they keep the front speakers (which are nice, don't get me wrong), and they will probably keep the black bar for whatever reason, this will only make the device that much taller, and wider. Tall enough to the point where it will probably be larger than the Nex6. If they must keep the bar and the speakers...no larger than 5.2"

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The only point I disagree on is screen size. If they keep the front speakers (which are nice, don't get me wrong), and they will probably keep the black bar for whatever reason, this will only make the device that much taller, and wider. Tall enough to the point where it will probably be larger than the Nex6. If they must keep the bar and the speakers...no larger than 5.2"

why must they keep the black bar? this year is do or die for htc and it'd be dead on arrival of they keep it ... rumor is it'll come in a 5" and 6" version, a smart move IMO cause of the excessively competitive 5.2"-5.7" space.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't mind seeing then do away with the metal, so long as they don't replace it with glass.

Way back in October, when @evleaks leaked a render of an alleged One M8 Max (or Plus or Prime) the rumor was that the phone's body would be made of some novel blend of aluminum and liquid silicone. Like the O2, that phone was also rumored at the time to be dust- and waterproof.

HTC One M8 Max (Prime/Plus) leaks: release date, price, specs - News - PC Advisor

I think for the sake of people knowing where to look, it should still be called the M10 here

So far most of the people regurgitating these alleged O2 specs are assuming that HTC is killing off the One "brand" in favor of making a new beginning with a new line. Only time will tell if we need two separate threads here or not. (Or maybe none given HTC's recent track record of promising phablets that never materialize.)

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Way back in October, when @evleaks leaked a render of an alleged One M8 Max (or Plus or Prime) the rumor was that the phone's body would be made of some novel blend of aluminum and liquid silicone. Like the O2, that phone was also rumored at the time to be dust- and waterproof.

HTC One M8 Max (Prime/Plus) leaks: release date, price, specs - News - PC Advisor

So far most of the people regurgitating these alleged O2 specs are assuming that HTC is killing off the One "brand" in favor of making a new beginning with a new line. Only time will tell if we need two separate threads here or not. (Or maybe none given HTC's recent track record of promising phablets that never materialize.)

very true ... that evleaks render was the worse thing that could've happened to HTC. that thing was gorgeous, people hopes came crashing down when it proved to be wrong. if HTC messes this up it'll prove how out of touch they are and be a certain death!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
My list is pretty much your list, but with 2 changes.

1) A 5.2-inch display would be more appropriate because 5.5-inches is a bit too big for many. HTC's handset needs to be as accessible to as many as it can.

2) The camera NEEDS OIS and NEEDS competitive processing software. The M9's camera was a pathetic excuse on a $600 phone. If it was on a phone like the Moto X, we could forgive it for the price, but if the M10 has a lame camera again, HTC will have become the new Moto.

HTC needs to take the camera really-effin'-seriously this time. Gone are the days where cameras on smartphones are afterthoughts. Cameras on smartphones are actually gigantic selling points as they have become our primary cameras due to their ease-of-use and can now offer great quality images without the bulk.

The Galaxy S6 (along with the Note 5 and S6e+), LG G4 and even the iPhone 6 are among the best examples of smartphone cameras today.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Another thing that they should improve in is the display quality.

Not saying that they should throw more pixels at it to make it 1440p, but really, while it's hard to see, the displays on the One-series have undergone some downgrades since the M7.

Really, what they should do is try to improve contrast and color reproduction, like what LG did with the G4. It might not happen due to HTC's vanishing fortunes, though.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My list is pretty much your list, but with 2 changes.

1) A 5.2-inch display would be more appropriate because 5.5-inches is a bit too big for many. HTC's handset needs to be as accessible to as many as it can.

2) The camera NEEDS OIS and NEEDS competitive processing software. The M9's camera was a pathetic excuse on a $600 phone. If it was on a phone like the Moto X, we could forgive it for the price, but if the M10 has a lame camera again, HTC will have become the new Moto.

HTC needs to take the camera really-effin'-seriously this time. Gone are the days where cameras on smartphones are afterthoughts. Cameras on smartphones are actually gigantic selling points as they have become our primary cameras due to their ease-of-use and can now offer great quality images without the bulk.

The Galaxy S6 (along with the Note 5 and S6e+), LG G4 and even the iPhone 6 are among the best examples of smartphone cameras today.

supposed to come in 5" and 6" versions

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
1. Get rid of preinstalled apps.
2. Direct OS updates so we don't have to wait on carriers, like Motorola is going to do.
3. If they decide on a 5.5" then offer two phones because I'll leave HTC if that's my only choice.