Rumour has it that the HTC 10 will sport a super LCD 5 screen. Does any one know the specs for the Super LCD 5?

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-20-2016 10:05 PM
    Not a lot of info on this but according to a few websites:

HTC already uses the Super LCD technology, it’s different from AMOLED as it doesn’t have an air gap between the display element and the outer glass. This results in less glare and makes the user feel “closer” to the display.

Other benefits of the Super LCD 5 display include better outdoor visibility in sunlight as well as low power consumption.*

03-21-2016 06:05 AM
    If this is true and HTC also implements some sort of Always On Display then that will mean more of a battery drain since the whole screen would have to come on to display the info. I was hoping that it would be an Amoled display since the display would only have to turn on some of the pixels for the Always On Display. At the same time, no other OEM is using an Super LCD 5 display. It could be a great display. Hopefully we will find out soon.
    NEXUS_HTC_PS likes this.
    03-21-2016 08:44 AM
    If this is true and HTC also implements some sort of Always On Display then that will mean more of a battery drain since the whole screen would have to come on to display the info. I was hoping that it would be an Amoled display since the display would only have to turn on some of the pixels for the Always On Display. At the same time, no other OEM is using an Super LCD 5 display. It could be a great display. Hopefully we will find out soon.
    I was hoping for an advanced notification system... I am not technical enough knowledge wise to understand AMOLED controls only certain segments at a time where LCD operates differently. Guess we will have to see what is uncorked....

Sammys AOS is limited in it current state. Not allowing 3rd parties access is kinda self defeating in my opinion...
    03-21-2016 10:11 AM
    I was hoping for an advanced notification system... I am not technical enough knowledge wise to understand AMOLED controls only certain segments at a time where LCD operates differently. Guess we will have to see what is uncorked....

Sammys AOS is limited in it current state. Not allowing 3rd parties access is kinda self defeating in my opinion...
    Yeah I agree that Samsung's is limited. I wonder if LG's has any other function. I guess when more reviews come out for that device we will know. Right now I'm using Moto Display on my Moto X Pure Edition and I love it. If HTC has anything like that then I'd be good. I just hope the screen looks good. It may not be as good as an Amoled screen but I don't want to go down in quality from what I have now.
    03-21-2016 10:24 AM
    The lg G5 and it's always on display only lights up that portion of the screen and not the entire panel. It supposedly uses less power than the S7 amoled screen also. I just wish Htc would announce this thing already so I can make my choice as Lg and tmobile giving some goodies away with a pre-order and don't want to lose out on those if I don't like the 10

03-21-2016 06:29 PM
    The lg G5 and it's always on display only lights up that portion of the screen and not the entire panel. It supposedly uses less power than the S7 amoled screen also. I just wish Htc would announce this thing already so I can make my choice as Lg and tmobile giving some goodies away with a pre-order and don't want to lose out on those if I don't like the 10

How can a non Amoled display light up only a portion of its display?
    03-22-2016 07:16 AM
    How can a non Amoled display light up only a portion of its display?
    It would have to implement some type of local dimming using numerous zones to pull that off. I think that would require the use of a backlit LED array.

03-22-2016 09:31 AM
    Super LCD is mainly just a marketing thing. That said, I don't think they used that term for the M9's (pretty terrible) display, so maybe there's hope.
    03-23-2016 01:29 PM
    Super LCD 5 display include better outdoor visibility in sunlight as well as low power consumption
    I'll believe this when I see it. My biggest complaint with the M8 was that it was impossible to use outdoors, even on an overcast day. And if "Super LCD 5" doesn't at least rival Samsung's current version of "Super AMOLED" for brightness and clarity, indoors and out, it's going to be damned with faint praise in reviews.
    03-25-2016 09:53 AM
    Shizen, not happy with this, I'm addicted to amoled, not sure if I could ever go back.

dreaming of electric sheep
    03-28-2016 01:09 AM
    M9 is very hard to see in daylight. Wish they would have a better daylight screen and a polarized lens for outdoors.
    04-11-2016 12:51 PM
    This is the only thing that might keep me from buying the HTC 10. I really hope that the display will be amazing this year. I am sold on everything else..
    nokia4life likes this.
    04-11-2016 12:53 PM
    Less than 24 hours to go!

Now to figure out a place to stream it....
    04-11-2016 01:21 PM
    This is the only thing that might keep me from buying the HTC 10. I really hope that the display will be amazing this year. I am sold on everything else..
    I am with you on this not sure why they just don't go to Amoled the LCD panels just aren't as bright and nice looking just my thoughts I would love that samsung or nexus display on this phone. If that happened would get it hands down.
    04-11-2016 02:14 PM