HTC finally got the camera right (Ties S7's on DxOMark)

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC finally got the camera right

I don't really trust DxOMark's scores since they don't really reflect the real-world performance and also because some real-world pictures are a bit contradictary when compared with DxOMark's verdict.

That said, it looks great so far. The hardware package is very similar to that of the Nexus 6P, but with a host of improvements. Let's hope the software processing is up to snuff, because 2016 might be the year where HTC finally gets the camera right.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I don't really trust DxOMark's scores since they don't really reflect the real-world performance and also because some real-world pictures are a bit contradictary when compared with DxOMark's verdict.

Well, real world results are as much a factor of the person taking the picture as the camera. Technically speaking, the camera that HTC is using should be the best one available... the sensor (that's the IMX377, has to be) is the best one in any phone, add in OIS and a slightly wider aperture than the 6P (which has the same sensor) and you have the makings of the technically best camera available. It all boils down to processing. Samsung overcooks every picture it takes (the stuff my 6P spits out is ever so slightly better than the ones my wife's S7 produces), so it all boils down to the route HTC takes... but they shouldn't have to muck with the photos much.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site

HTC 10 camera overview: A great all-rounder for stills and video - DxOMark

I know DXOMARK isn't the end all and be all but still. I never thought I would see the day when HTC would have the best camera on a smartphone.

It's a wrap. I am buying this phone as soon as it is available. Happy to see they went with the black front as well instead of the white.

SOLD!

Compared to prior HTC phones this is awesome. Right up there playing with the big boys now. That's all I wanted. Can't wait!

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Well, real world results are as much a factor of the person taking the picture as the camera. Technically speaking, the camera that HTC is using should be the best one available... the sensor (that's the IMX377, has to be) is the best one in any phone, add in OIS and a slightly wider aperture than the 6P (which has the same sensor) and you have the makings of the technically best camera available. It all boils down to processing. Samsung overcooks every picture it takes (the stuff my 6P spits out is ever so slightly better than the ones my wife's S7 produces), so it all boils down to the route HTC takes... but they shouldn't have to muck with the photos much.
I think HTC might have a winner on its hands just by looking at its hardware.

After around 3 years of rather mediocre camera setups, looks like they finally got it right.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I think HTC might have a winner on its hands just by looking at its hardware.

After around 3 years of rather mediocre camera setups, looks like they finally got it right.

I'm inclined to agree. Hopefully, this takes off like a rocket.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Looks good so far. Can't wait for the consumer reviews. Hopefully the low light pics are as good as the G5 and S7

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I think they got it right based on what we've seen and been told so far.

But I still don't think it'll be enough. Someone shopping for an iPhone or a Galaxy likely won't choose the 10 because the camera is that much better.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Camera Ties S7's for DxOMark

Whilst it isn't gospel, and there are other factors at play like ease of access and speed, it does at least tell us that the camera isn't likely to stink. That has to be a good thing?! Different people look for different things in cameras - low light ability for me is very high on the list, and the HTC 10 has bigger sensor pixels than the S7 (1.4 microns S7, 1.55 HTC 10 so 10% bigger) and similar aperture (f1.7 S7 vs f1.8 HTC 10) so should be up there with the S7 as a great shooter potentially. Whether post-processing nauses that up or not we don't know yet, but it's not a Sony phone so I remain optimistic!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

That's nice, but that wasn't much of a camera review. Not a single image shown, and two paragraphs written, yet they manage to score it?

Eh, I'll wait for some real-world results

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

That's nice, but that wasn't much of a camera review. Not a single image shown, and two paragraphs written, yet they manage to score it?

Eh, I'll wait for some real-world results
That might be a function of speed... Getting their score out quick. There will most likely be a full review coming soon.

The score doesn't surprise me in the least. There S7 over-processes pictures, so while they are sharp, it's a little artificially so... Clobbering the natural detail a bit. All the 10 has to do is handle pics with a light touch, leaning on a superior imaging sensor, and it should do as good, if not better.

RockyMtnRedRaider

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

I think they got it right based on what we've seen and been told so far.

But I still don't think it'll be enough. Someone shopping for an iPhone or a Galaxy likely won't choose the 10 because the camera is that much better.

Agree. HTC makes great products, but will always be fighting the Apple/Samsung hype machines.

Posted via the Android Central App

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I think it could take multiple generations of good phones to get customers back, but I think they finally got the camera right. Many people left due to the camera. From the samples I've seen there does seem to be some color shifts and some issues with blown out highlights. Of course we don't know what settings were used, but it appears HTC needs to do some tweaking of their firmware still. I'm looking forward to the raw capabilities of this phone and looking at the few raw samples out there it looks promising.

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I think it could take multiple generations of good phones to get customers back, but I think they finally got the camera right. Many people left due to the camera. From the samples I've seen there does seem to be some color shifts and some issues with blown out highlights. Of course we don't know what settings were used, but it appears HTC needs to do some tweaking of their firmware still. I'm looking forward to the raw capabilities of this phone and looking at the few raw samples out there it looks promising.
What samples? Link?

To be honest, the camera is not that critical for me, I have DSLR's if I want to take 'real' photos :) That said, it really does no harm to have a mobile that has a pretty decent camera. The SGS7e has impressed me with the photo quality so if the HTC 10 is at least equal to it then I think we can say they got it right this time around :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar