How much is insurance worth to you?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Thinking out loud ... $699 seems like a lot for a phone. But it's not. And with HTC you get a year of that (awfully named) "Uh Oh Protection" thrown in.

Samsung's Protection Plus is $129 extra, but you get two years of coverage.

Does that even out? Would you pay for another year of coverage with HTC?

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I would pay if it was a no charge warranty, like Uh oh, instead of the carrier insurance that makes you pay an extra fee for an insurance claim

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
With the loyalty discount of $100 off, it's worth every penny at $599. Bought it initially at $699 but got the $100 off coupon to cut it to $599.

And on top of that uh oh protection meaning can enjoy the phone without case. $599 with uh oh protection definitely worth it and can't wait early May to get my hands on one.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thinking out loud ... $699 seems like a lot for a phone. But it's not. And with HTC you get a year of that (awfully named) "Uh Oh Protection" thrown in.

Samsung's Protection Plus is $129 extra, but you get two years of coverage.

Does that even out? Would you pay for another year of coverage with HTC?

I think it depends on how many times you can use it. With Samsung, it's up to four in two years, right? Is there a deductible?

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
With the loyalty discount of $100 off, it's worth every penny at $599. Bought it initially at $699 but got the $100 off coupon to cut it to $599.

And on top of that uh oh protection meaning can enjoy the phone without case. $599 with uh oh protection definitely worth it and can't wait early May to get my hands on one.

Same here. At $599 this phone is a steal. Combined with a free overnight replacement if it breaks you can't beat it. Can't wait for it to arrive

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I pay for insurance anyway, but insurance is vital as I hate cases. I usually get at least one claim a year for being butter-fingered. The 'Uh oh' protection is good, and worth having though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
After you use UH OH that one time it's allowed, do you put a case on?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely factor uh oh protection into the price. Uh oh protection and the $100 discount make this phone very close to what I paid for the 2015 Moto X with insurance.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely factor uh oh protection into the price. Uh oh protection and the $100 discount make this phone very close to what I paid for the 2015 Moto X with insurance.

I factor it in, as well. I rarely keep a phone longer than a year anyway (jezz, 6 months is like a record for me anymore), so the one year of Uh Oh is fine by me. But my last few phones that I've purchased new I've made sure to snag some insurance - and it usually ranges from $80-130. So if I factor that in, paying $599 for the 10 is like paying around $500 or so, then add in the Uh Oh. Looks like a good deal to me! A 64gb Nexus 6P with Nexus Protect is $39 more expensive. Sure you get a little more onboard storage (but no SD) and an extra year of protection - but that extra year would be wasted on me anyway.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've used Squaretrade a few times already for previous phones, worth the $120 for 2 years with a $75 deductible up to 2 times. I guess it can be seen as almost $200 for the first replacement and $75 for the second, OR they give you the full price of the phone $599 or $699 for the htc 10 to buy a new one.

Or you can pay $15 for a case and $10 for a glass screen protector lol.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Uh oh insurance plus the $599 price point with code is a huge win. I would pay $100 or so for a second replacement if they did that. But really do a lot of people break their phone that much?

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that those of us who didn't use Uh oh the first time around will get another hundo off :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that those of us who didn't use Uh oh the first time around will get another hundo off :)

The discounts don't stack.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm of the camp that scoffs at paying extra for insurance. I've never needed it in 12 years of owning mobile phones so it would have been hundreds of dollars wasted had I been buying it. Even if I did break a phone, the cost of insurance would still have me in the hole. BUT, the fact that we get a free year is comforting incentive for me to go with HTC, especially since I refuse to use a case anymore. I've dropped my M8 a dozen times on cement and it fell in the pond twice, yet the screen is unblemished and every function works perfectly (though, admittedly, the corners of the body are dinged).

As far as addl ins (after the first year) goes, I figure in deflation and realize that I'd be better off just replacing it w/ a used one or going with a new model should something happen, rather than dumping my money into 2nd and 3rd year insurance.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The discounts don't stack.

There's a form you fill out to get the hundred dollars off for Uh oh, it's not discounted at the time of purchase.

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Do you get the Uh Oh protection when bought through a carrier like T-Mobile or only when bought through HTC?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca