We've got the HTC 10 and we're answering your questions right here!

PittSammy

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: We've got the HTC 10 — and we're answering your questions right here!

Does it still support MirrorLink, and is the HTC Car application the same?

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

any word on whether we'll get a dual-SIM version?
Nope
Does anyone know if the camera lens on the back is Sapphire or is it just regular glass that scratches very easy?
Sapphire
Is the stock htc gallery app That's available in play store, compatible with the HTC 10?

Or do i have to use Google photos?

Posted via the Android Central App
Not seeing it in the Play Store. May be updated with M10 compatibility closer to launch, who knows.

Does the unlocked US model work with Verizon?
Nope
I guess Zoe is dead?
The Zoe video editor app is there if you still want it. Zoe camera mode also remains.
The HTC M7 was one of my favorite phones. Will I love the HTC 10 just as much? Will it make food taste better? Will water still be wet?
Yep. This is basically an M7 on steroids.
I have an M9 and I'm worried about the lack of stereo speakers. Where does it sound like the audio is coming from (tweeter, center of screen, or does it actually sound like the highs are coming from the tweeter and the lows from the other side)? Does it sound like front-facing speakers? I love the Dolby effect on the speakers with the M9. Does it have that too and how well does it work, or is it only there for headphones? (Basically, how does it compare to previous BoomSound speakers?)
There's more noticeable distortion based on how you're holding the phone compared to two front-facing speakers. (Because different freqs are firing in different directions. Still sounds good though.)

I've got a few questions.

1) One reason why phone cameras these days are so good is how they can snap a great shot really quickly without effort. Judging from AC samples, the 10's camera looks to be very capable. However, I'd like to know how fast it is in use, especially compared to its rival, the GS7.

2) The overall performance of the lightened HTC Sense. Feel any quicker (even miniscule) compared to the M9?

3) Does it feel slippery?

4) How's the sound from the speakers like for general use?

5) HTC is bragging about its fingerprint sensor being able to unlock the phone in as low as 0.2 seconds. Is that largely the case here?
1. Not as fast as Samsung, and a big reason is the lack of a double-tap shortcut like Samsung has.

2. Hard to say, it's been a while since I last used an M9. It is just as fast as any Android phone I've ever used though.

3. Nope. The chamfers actually help with that.

4. Great. Not really any *better* than an M8 or M9, but equally capable.

5. Yep. Super fast.
Is it slow enough that you may miss something?

Hi Alex, thanks for doing this.

1. How's the new Sense software experience? Great/Good/Bad/Meh?

2. How does the camera perform compared to the Nexus 6P, Galaxy S7 and LG G5? Is it a 'great' camera for a 2016 flagship?

3. Overall would you consider this a compelling device to get for someone who was a fan of the M7 and M8 but skipped on the M9? Is HTC back?

1. There's not a whole lot of Sense left to be honest. It's all very lightweight now. Mostly great, with a bit of meh if you were hoping for a more unique UX and not stock plus some HTC things.

2. Somewhere between the GS7 and 6P. Haven't used the G5 for any length of time yet. I'd say it's "nearly great." May improve with software. Right now it's great at a lot of stuff, but Samsung is better overall.

3. Remains to be seen whether they're "back." But this isn't a dud like the M9 was, that's for sure. With the G5 looking like it's fallen flat a bit, this could be the de facto alternative to the GS7 if HTC plays it right.

anon(382406)

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I'd loveeeeee to know how the m10 stacks up side by side to the s7 signal wise! I had the s7 for a couple of days but in my (edge of nowhere) home it didn't stack up to my old m8. Could you guys do a quick analysis?

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
HTC talked about improving the screen response. Do you notice this at all? Also how is signal quality?

weepatc

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

How does the audio sound in theatre mode. Read somewhere this gives a much better stereo effect from the speakers

SocratesRising

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I've read through the initial review and this thread. I get the sense it's a capable, well built, beautiful phone with lightning quick fingerprint reader, pared down sense, decent battery and great camera. All flagships in the last year check all these boxes.

For me, it's down to the Sammy S7e and this. If you'd have to pick one to buy today, which one do you go with and why?

RomelM12

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Front Facing Flash.

Does the entire screen flash white like the Samsung S7 or just a thick white border like the LG V10/G5?

Restrictive

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

This is VERY disappointing. Either I am not understanding how battery life should be quantified or its really poor. Claiming 48 hours (and we knew that would not be even close) and only seeing usable 12 hours with SOT of 4? Isn't the S7E getting close to 24 with 4-5 SOT?
You have to keep in mind everybody's usage is different and there are many factors influencing battery life from signal to screen brightness.

Restrictive

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Hows the front facing camera? I'm not sure if you use apps like Snapchat but yeah😊

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

How substantial do you feel the upgrade is for someone coming from a launch day M7? To my eyes the Snapdragon 600 + 2GB Ram has yet to cause any problems in day-to-day use. (Email, phone calls, texting and general web browsing) I don't game so any sluggish use on that end is lost on me.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

How substantial do you feel the upgrade is for someone coming from a launch day M7? To my eyes the Snapdragon 600 + 2GB Ram has yet to cause any problems in day-to-day use. (Email, phone calls, texting and general web browsing) I don't game so any sluggish use on that end is lost on me.

jrg363, the 10 is a substantial upgrade from the M7 or even the M8, and is significantly better than the M9. Main features improvements which you will easily notice are: (1) battery life; (2) the camera is just the best they've ever done (and OIS front and back); (3) audio with wired earphones is an audiophile's dream; and finally (4) latest version of Sense is very close to stock Android but better. No other "skin" of Android is as non-intrusive while adding features to the interface.

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site

Does the notification light just blink green when you get a notification and sold red while charging? Or can you set different colors for different notifications?

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

How's the screen under sunlight? Like the M8/M9 or better?

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

Anyone popped an at&t sim and tested it for VoLTE?

illregal

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

There seems to be mixed messages about the headphones. Some now saying the US won't get the headphones.
It was my understanding, buying the unlocked phone through htc.com, you get them.

Once the carriers sell the device, and you're buying it from them they will probably just have a regular set.

Does that sound right?

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Does the notification light just blink green when you get a notification and sold red while charging? Or can you set different colors for different notifications?

Green only for apps, it seems. Orange/green charging.

Haven't seen it "go away" after any time.

Was my question. Seems my HTC DNA and the 10 have same functionality notification wise.

Would like to know what the screen itself does on email and/or text notification in native skin. I use Textra and I can wake up screen if I wish. Wonder if native Android/Sense has similiar functionality.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I hope I'm not too late to get some questions answered. Thanks for making this Q and A by the way, never experienced this from a site before. It's pretty awesome. Anyway on to the questions...

1. I'm worried about the lens flair (flare) in some shots and the over exposure. Are you experiencing that a lot? Chances of this being fixed in a software patch?
  2. How's the Bluetooth? I've noticed several Android phones having issue with Bluetooth at first for fitness trackers and Android Wear.
  3. How's the WiFi, are you experiencing the same speeds compared to other phones?
  4. How's NFC, do you have to be overly close to the terminal to get Android Pay to respond?
  5. Are you experiencing any dropped frames for web browsing or scrolling? aka stutter.
  6. How's the camera compared to the iPhone 6S
  7. The S7 had touchscreen issues (overly sensitive) which was just patched for T-Mobile, are you able to activate the screen without touching it? Any accidental presses?
  8. RAM Management is likely good, how many apps can be active before closing one?
  9. Anyway I can have you compare the camera with a 2015 model phone besides the iPhone 6S? HTC M9, LG G4, S6 for example?
  10. Can you use USB C headphones instead of analog?

Thanks in advance

Rails Ruby

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

First, be sure to read our HTC 10 preview, which has lots of juicy info.

Got questions? We're now free to answer them! Myself, Phil and Dan Bader have been using the HTC 10 for the past week, and we're ready and waiting to answer your burning questions.

Fire away!

Does front camera have fixed focus or auto focus ?