05-17-2017 10:56 PM
284 123 ...
tools
    First, be sure to read our HTC 10 preview, which has lots of juicy info.

Got questions? We're now free to answer them! Myself, Phil and Dan Bader have been using the HTC 10 for the past week, and we're ready and waiting to answer your burning questions.

Fire away!
    04-14-2016 10:58 AM
    Notification system: Single or multicolor LED? Does the LED go away after "xx" time? If phone is locked and screen dark does anything show up on the screen?
    ramy12 likes this.
    04-14-2016 11:01 AM
    Is it a lot faster than sense 7?
    04-14-2016 11:02 AM
    Notification system: Single or multicolor LED? Does the LED go away after "xx" time? If phone is locked and screen dark does anything show up on the screen?
    Green only for apps, it seems. Orange/green charging.

Haven't seen it "go away" after any time.

Is it a lot faster than sense 7?
    Sense 7 was already pretty fast on the M9. The HTC 10 is as quick as any Android phone I've used though
    04-14-2016 11:06 AM
    @ Alex - Stickied the thread for you .
    Alex Dobie likes this.
    04-14-2016 11:08 AM
    Does it have double-tap the screen to wake/turn off?
    04-14-2016 11:08 AM
    Does it have double-tap the screen to wake/turn off?
    Yep, but you don't really need it with the fingerprint scanner
    04-14-2016 11:11 AM
    Yep, but you don't really need it with the fingerprint scanner
    Figured as much. Thanks.
    geekonamotorcycle likes this.
    04-14-2016 11:13 AM
    How is battery life? HTC are quoted as saying 2 days with the obvious "Your mileage may vary". What are you seeing in real world use?
    Have you been able to compare the screen to the SGS7e in terms of brightness and visibility in bright sunlight?
    Have you used it with adoptable storage at all? When recording 1080p or 4K video onto a microSD card, has there been any noticeable lag?

How's the speaker performance been in everyday situations? (listening to music around the house)
    Sorry, just thought of another question...

In Themes, is it possible to "darken" Sense, particularly the Settings area, with a black or dark gray material theme versus the typical white we're seeing in all the hands-on videos? Samsung allows this with their version; wondering if HTC has the ability too?
    04-14-2016 11:15 AM
    Verge review is out (surprisingly early) and they said camera app is very slow to launch. Is it really slow to capture a pic and is very noticeable? For eg comparing with 6P and S7, S7 is super fast to capture a pic but 6P is slow in my opinion. How does it compare in terms of taking a quick picture?

Thanks
    04-14-2016 11:16 AM
    Camera launch speed with focus?
    04-14-2016 11:19 AM
    How is battery life? HTC are quoted as saying 2 days with the obvious "Your mileage may vary". What are you seeing in real world use?
    Have you been able to compare the screen to the SGS7e in terms of brightness and visibility in bright sunlight?
    GS7 wins in sunlight, mainly because of the overdrive mode that kicks in when it's really bright. That said, HTC's screen is perfectly fine.
    Have you used it with adoptable storage at all? When recording 1080p or 4K video onto a microSD card, has there been any noticeable lag?

How's the speaker performance been in everyday situations? (listening to music around the house)
    Haven't seen any lag so far. And I'm not using adoptable storage.

Speaker's been good. We talk a bit about that on the podcast, but basically there's more potential for distortion based on the way you're holding it, because you have different frequencies blasting out in different directions now.
    Sorry, just thought of another question...

In Themes, is it possible to "darken" Sense, particularly the Settings area, with a black or dark gray material theme versus the typical white we're seeing in all the hands-on videos? Samsung allows this with their version; wondering if HTC has the ability too?
    Nothing like that preloaded, but no reason why you couldn't find a darker theme in HTC Themes.
    Verge review is out (surprisingly early) and they said camera app is very slow to launch. Is it really slow to capture a pic and is very noticeable? For eg comparing with 6P and S7, S7 is super fast to capture a pic but 6P is slow in my opinion. How does it compare in terms of taking a quick picture?

Thanks
    An update went out to US devices yesterday to make the camera launch faster. The Euro device I'm using already had that update, and it's pretty quick (comfortably under 1 second.) Faster than the 6P for sure. Probably a bit slower than Samsung.
    04-14-2016 11:22 AM
    Oh, and on battery life. It's not exactly *bad*. But no way you're getting two days out of this thing. Not if you use it like a normal human. I'd say it's about Note 5 / GS6 edge+ level, perhaps a bit below that. Usable, but by no means outstanding.
    DaveInFL likes this.
    04-14-2016 11:24 AM
    An update went out to US devices yesterday to make the camera launch faster. The Euro device I'm using already had that update, and it's pretty quick (comfortably under 1 second.) Faster than the 6P for sure. Probably a bit slower than Samsung
    Thanks Alex !!! that's good news for sure.
    04-14-2016 11:25 AM
    How is LCD5 screen quality?
    04-14-2016 11:33 AM
    Does it have any type of Ambient/Always On Display similar to the Nexus phones?
    04-14-2016 11:34 AM
    A bit slower to capture pictures or for the camera app to launch?
    04-14-2016 11:34 AM
    How is LCD5 screen quality?
    Good. I think Samsung nudges ahead in daylight visibility, but overall this is a good-looking display.
    Does it have any type of Ambient/Always On Display similar to the Nexus phones?
    Nope
    A bit slower to capture pictures or for the camera app to launch?
    Launch. Captures are nice and fast.
    mayconvert and Kevin OQuinn like this.
    04-14-2016 11:37 AM
    Is it smoother than the GS7?

Posted via the X '15
    04-14-2016 11:43 AM
    Really hard to say. Both are extremely response.
    Ry likes this.
    04-14-2016 11:44 AM
    How hot does the phone get with extended 4K video recording? Or does it get unusually hot during heavy use?
    04-14-2016 11:44 AM
    Also, on my M8, the paint wore off on the backside due to the case rubbing in certain areas. Is there a chance of this happening on the 10?
    04-14-2016 11:46 AM
    How hot does the phone get with extended 4K video recording? Or does it get unusually hot during heavy use?
    Warms up like any phone. I haven't had it get worryingly warm though. I'll leave the 4K question to Dan Bader who's been doing more 4K video than me
    Also, on my M8, the paint wore off on the backside due to the case rubbing in certain areas. Is there a chance of this happening on the 10?
    Always a chance of this happening with any anodized paint job. If you're worried, go silver.
    ugxvibe likes this.
    04-14-2016 11:50 AM
284 123 ...