HTC 10 and AT&T

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC 10 and AT&T

Not sure about that but just look at the other advantages, no ugly carrier logo, no AT&T crap (bad than Verizon now a days), quicker software updates and better performing phone. I think overall the advantages outweigh the minor stuff if it doesn't work.

Personally I never can tolerate any carrier version and only buy them if I don't have option to buy the unbranded versions (mostly Samsung phones). I know I'm in minority and most people don't care about what carrier's do to the phone but for me it's worth buying the unbranded version.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Phil said in another post here something to the extent that "the carrier code is there" so hopefully it works. Then again, MM and the 6P has the code as well, but ATT wont allow it because they only support their crappy branded phones. No technical reason why it wouldn't work other than them blocking it. VoLTE works fine on TMo/6P. Hell even wifi calling, but that's only iPhones on ATT.

ATT is militant about letting unlocked phones use their nice services. It's like they pretend unlocked phones aren't a thing. Nah, ATT is just a dumb pipe.

They hide behind "we can't support unlocked phones." This doesn't make sense. It's not about supporting the unlocked device, it's about allowing the features that the OS and device can use without issue. Again, see TMobile and Nexus phones. Anyhow, it will probably never change.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Not sure about that but just look at the other advantages, no ugly carrier logo, no AT&T crap (bad than Verizon now a days), quicker software updates and better performing phone. I think overall the advantages outweigh the minor stuff if it doesn't work.

Personally I never can tolerate any carrier version and only buy them if I don't have option to buy the unbranded versions (mostly Samsung phones). I know I'm in minority and most people don't care about what carrier's do to the phone but for me it's worth buying the unbranded version.
Could you please elaborate? I've been trying to find a reason to go unlocked but I really don't care about a logo, bloatware that I can disable/hide, quicker updates have never meant anything to me, but I'd be interested in what the performance benefits might be. I'd be up for better performance/fewer glitches is that's a real thing w/ unlocked phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does the unlocked A9 work with those AT&T services?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Could you please elaborate? I've been trying to find a reason to go unlocked but I really don't care about a logo, bloatware that I can disable/hide, quicker updates have never meant anything to me, but I'd be interested in what the performance benefits might be. I'd be up for better performance/fewer glitches is that's a real thing w/ unlocked phones.

Probably not much difference day one but often updates result in bug fixes and better performance. The carriers are usually slow to push out updates.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
It was my understanding that it did.

It does, I'm typing on one now, but I think that is because there is an AT&T version as well. I could be wrong but I would bet if AT&T didn't sell the A9 then mind wouldn't have those services

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I believe HTC has already said that the unlocked version will work with those services because it has all of the code and it is where we're leading towards unlocked devices. And where the mobile operators are going at the fight with better service in order to keep us.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
It does, I'm typing on one now, but I think that is because there is an AT&T version as well. I could be wrong but I would bet if AT&T didn't sell the A9 then mind wouldn't have those services

From what I understand at&t will support unlocked devices using VoLTE as long as the device is tested by them. This process has to be initiated by the manufacturer which many don't do. HTC boasted that they did this with all the US carriers with the A9. A good example of this is the at&t branded BlackBerry priv. It has VoLTE and the unlocked priv does not. I doubt BlackBerry had any incentive to have the unlocked model tested by at&t or bake in the code.

Fathertime

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
What are we to do if they choose not to carry the phone. It's not our fault we wanted a phone they didn't want to carry. HTC probably didn't want to pay for the shelf space like Apple and Samsung does. I doubt we will be able to take advantage of the HD Voice and VoLte.

sal2726

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
I bought an unlocked A9 to use on AT&T. When I set it up, the mobile data wouldn't work. Went to AT&T store, and they said "sorry, mobile data won't work on unlocked devices". Googled it at home, and all I had to do was power off/on. Worked fine. Then had issues with voicemail. Called AT&T tech support, and they could not understand the concept of unlocked. " What carrier did you unlock it from?" I bought it unlocked. "Yes but what carrier did it come from initially?" NO ONE. I purchased it unlocked! "I don't understand what you mean, it had to be on a carrier initially, who are you switching it from?" Took me 5 people before I could get someone to fix the issue.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought an unlocked A9 to use on AT&T. When I set it up, the mobile data wouldn't work. Went to AT&T store, and they said "sorry, mobile data won't work on unlocked devices". Googled it at home, and all I had to do was power off/on. Worked fine. Then had issues with voicemail. Called AT&T tech support, and they could not understand the concept of unlocked. " What carrier did you unlock it from?" I bought it unlocked. "Yes but what carrier did it come from initially?" NO ONE. I purchased it unlocked! "I don't understand what you mean, it had to be on a carrier initially, who are you switching it from?" Took me 5 people before I could get someone to fix the issue.

Doesn't surprise me! I have better luck getting help from people on these forums than AT&T stores most of the time.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

And the scariest part? They're NOT on strike. :D

sal2726

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
I have the unlocked version of the A9 and it takes advantage of all those things on AT&T's network

Mine does too now. They just had no clue how to help. I think the VM was my doing, I tried to set up Google Voice and it screwed it up.

amrovi2014

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence about buying this phone. But I'm concerned if it will work non ATT. HTC advertising indicated it will. Anyone have any advice?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad