Would it be possible to put the HTC 10 camera in my M8?

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
to me this would be the Perfect ideal phone for me. Front facing speakers, small, sense launcher AND a GREAt camera

USA HTC One M8 MINI2 LTE Unlocked Phone 16GB 13MP Quad Core Android OS Gray 4718487646388 | eBay

Because its android would it be possible to mod the HTC m8 mini to accept the new lens? the software for sure could be flashed I know that.

(if drilling the camera hole would be necessary to fit the 10's lens I would be willing to give it a go if the mini's was too small for it as is)

DuoWing

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Would it be possible to put the HTC 10 camera in here?

You'd probably be looking at modding the housing to fit the new lens, then quite possibly modding the board or the connector to the sensor, to power it, then you'd have to build a custom kernel/firmware that could then control and work with the camera.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Modding electronics is part of my living but for all the effort and cost, buy a real camera, IMO.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site

You'd probably be looking at modding the housing to fit the new lens, then quite possibly modding the board or the connector to the sensor, to power it, then you'd have to build a custom kernel/firmware that could then control and work with the camera.

Wouldn't loading up the newest sense/htc android build onto it with some tweaks be enough if the connector was the same?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Wouldn't loading up the newest sense/htc android build onto it with some tweaks be enough if the connector was the same?
I thought I read that the camera was built to take advantage of the new processor, though I can't pull up a quote to be sure. Again, seems like a lot of work for such a fleeting technology as a smartphone camera. I admire your diy ambition but have a hard time seeing the pay-off being worth the effort/risk.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

In all likelihood the Snapdragon 400 isn't even capable of the processing required for this camera, even if you could get it connect and somehow modify the kernel (and no, that's not as simple as just flashing a newer version of Sense)

If you want that camera, you'll just have to get an HTC 10 and get used to a some extra millimeters of size and a new speaker setup

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I thought I read that the camera was built to take advantage of the new processor

Oh, that is quite true.. and just one of the reasons why a swap like this wouldn't really be feasible. The mini's SoC might not have the data processing power to handle things like 4K or slow-motion video.... but that wouldn't necessarily stop it from being able to use it for just stills.

I don't think it is technically possible though. These things aren't like desktop computers, with standardized slots and expansion ports, etc. When they sit down and design these phones out, everything is designed around the specific packaging requirements for each piece of hardware. And most all of these cameras are different. The camera sensor in the mini is, I assume, significantly smaller than the one in the 10.. there's things like OIS, or the laser AF... all these other bits that would have no 'home' on the Mini. Then there are kernel changes, drivers, vendor specific software related to driving the camera, etc...

It'd be a nightmare.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae