Pocketnow HTC 10 camera review after update.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
The camera review from Pocketnow after the official update has made me a believer again. Yes, every reviewer has praised the phone. Jon Rettinger has even preferred it over the S7 edge. But the camera part always seems underwhelming for me whenever I watch their reviews.

The latest pocketnow review however has made me a believer. As they have mentioned, and shown that HTC has fixed most of the exposure and color issues. I've started to warm up to the idea that the HTC camera is becoming as reliable as the one on the S7 and LG. And that probably HTC is going to keep updating their camera in months to come.

I want the best camera in a phone. So that's why HTC 10 was giving me doubts. But now most of my doubts are gone. It's still a little slow for me to capture photos as I take many action shots.

Let's see. I shall wait a month to decide how this camera stacks up as more reviewers get their hands on the phone.

Watch the video and tell me what you think?

Posted via the Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Go with the cam that looks best to you and forget what the reviewers say unless it's a photog oriented site, IMO. I wasn't too interested in the 10 until I saw the photos and, honestly, it beats the S7 in most comparisons, for the qualities I look for. If they've made improvements, even better!

Definitely go with your own eyes though and keep in mind that if the reviewer is favoring a certain phone, they will be inclined (consciously or not) to take photos that play to that phone's strengths.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I saw that video of the updated camera. It looks excellent. From what I gather, it was already a very good camera, but now the camera pushes it up even higher.

Alex Dobie already said the HTC 10 camera would be between the Nexus 6P (my current phone) and the Galaxy S7, so any updates that make it even better are welcome.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Um, there hasn't been a major update to the camera or anything. I have no idea where folks keep getting that idea from.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Um, there hasn't been a major update to the camera or anything. I have no idea where folks keep getting that idea from.

There's a new 1.30.709.1 update that's come out recently (reviewer's got a 1.2something version of the software) which supposedly improves camera performance, wifi performance and stability.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Watch the review. They do mention something about difference in review units and retail ones. And contact them if you can? Of course you can. You can ask them what's up.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Go with the cam that looks best to you and forget what the reviewers say unless it's a photog oriented site, IMO. I wasn't too interested in the 10 until I saw the photos and, honestly, it beats the S7 in most comparisons, for the qualities I look for. If they've made improvements, even better!

Definitely go with your own eyes though and keep in mind that if the reviewer is favoring a certain phone, they will be inclined (consciously or not) to take photos that play to that phone's strengths.

No man. Here's the thing. In the past I've done the thing you're asking me to do now. And the experience hasn't been pleasant. I went with what I think and it turned out to be a not so good analysis. Where I live we don't get to "try out" the phone. We buy. And then we sell. Most probably at a loss.

I do trust many of the reviewers. Android authority, pocketnow etc. They are unbiased. At least to my understanding they are. Theyre true professionals. And again, I trust them. And they SHOW what they SAY.

The HTC camera is slow. I've seen reviewers opening up their cameras and snapping pictures. It looks slow. The pictures which come out of it are REALLY GOOD. And when I say slow I mean slower than the competition.

However. I do agree with you to an extent as it is upto the users preference how they like their pictures.

Me? I like my camera to open up fast and take fast photos. LG Samsung and Apple provide that experience. Nexus and HTC softwares are slow in doing that. That's what I've seen and heard and read. As I said before, I can't try them out my self where I live. We don't get to do that. So i rely mostly on reviews.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Hey Phil! Would it be okay if I request a video from AC?

I would love you to do a camera speed test where you put three objects around you. You begin the test by launching the camera and taking pictures of those three objects simultaneously as fast as you can. And in the end compare the time with the quality of shots (focus speeds, color etc). It would really show the overall experience of using the cameras. One of the three objects could be moving?

You can compare Nexus 6p HTC 10 G5 S7 and any additional one you want?

I know it's a stretch and it's not my place to request a video but hey, if you guys could, it would be really helpful. Not to mention fun! :D

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

maverick786us

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
The camera review from Pocketnow after the official update has made me a believer again. Yes, every reviewer has praised the phone. Jon Rettinger has even preferred it over the S7 edge. But the camera part always seems underwhelming for me whenever I watch their reviews.

The latest pocketnow review however has made me a believer. As they have mentioned, and shown that HTC has fixed most of the exposure and color issues. I've started to warm up to the idea that the HTC camera is becoming as reliable as the one on the S7 and LG. And that probably HTC is going to keep updating their camera in months to come.

I want the best camera in a phone. So that's why HTC 10 was giving me doubts. But now most of my doubts are gone. It's still a little slow for me to capture photos as I take many action shots.

Let's see. I shall wait a month to decide how this camera stacks up as more reviewers get their hands on the phone.

Watch the video and tell me what you think?

Can you share the link from pocket now?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Not gonna fight it anymore. If you all think there's been some "REAL" camera "fix," then great. Enjoy, uh, whatever. I've actually been using the phone. I'm on the same email threads as some of the folks you've referenced. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But let me ask you this: How "REAL!!!" is any of this once the next update drops and changes something else?

Somewhere in the past couple years folks decided there was some magical "fix" for any camera. That's just not true. The M9 got better but suffered from larger underlying problems. The M10 doesn't. (And, in fact, the biggest gripes most have about this camera haven't even been addressed yet.)

Me? I don't think anything was particularly broken that you can see in these initial shots I took: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=aUdCRnJWSi05bWpVS1QxWW1XNEtRdTNUcWZiRkVB

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Not gonna fight it anymore. If you all think there's been some "REAL" camera "fix," then great. Enjoy, uh, whatever. I've actually been using the phone. I'm on the same email threads as some of the folks you've referenced. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But let me ask you this: How "REAL!!!" is any of this once the next update drops and changes something else?

Somewhere in the past couple years folks decided there was some magical "fix" for any camera. That's just not true. The M9 got better but suffered from larger underlying problems. The M10 doesn't. (And, in fact, the biggest gripes most have about this camera haven't even been addressed yet.)

Me? I don't think anything was particularly broken that you can see in these initial shots I took: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=aUdCRnJWSi05bWpVS1QxWW1XNEtRdTNUcWZiRkVB

Hey man we all believe what you guys tell us :/ if they say they got an update then they must have. Or else they're lying? Why would they lie about this it's so stupid :/

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
And we're not asking you to fight we're the consumers and we're confused. You have direct contact with Micheal Fisher you can ask him to ask the pocketnow guys what's up. It's so easy for you. As for me, I've tweeted the reviewer. Maybe he'll answer maybe he won't.

Anyways. This Pocketnow video says the colors were washed out before with an orange tint to them. And I don't know but I see the colors washed out and that orange tint in Phil's samples as well. Maybe it's placebo effect I don't know.

But here's booredatwork video comparison and it shows the washed out colors with an orange tint when compared to the S7. And I know the processing is different but the difference here is night and day.

https://youtu.be/OxA_w2w6GvA

Skip to 8:30

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey man we all believe what you guys tell us :/ if they say they got an update then they must have. Or else they're lying? Why would they lie about this it's so stupid :/

I have the same phone with the same software. I'm telling you there's not a huge difference in camera quality after that update. Little things? Sure. A major shift in quality?

Nope. And that's ballsy, doing before and after pics outdoors, in uncontrolled lighting, and then showing different crops. (In other words, those are not the same pictures taken under the same conditions.) But, hey. It's "real," right? And as "real" as any other pre-release look can get.

But like I said, I'm really not going to argue about it anymore.

I also can't say anything more about additional updates that might or might not be coming very, very soon. Guess you'll have to wait for those "real" reviews that come after the other "real" reviews.

Really, that was some PT Barnum, Pink Salmon-level trolling. Kinda proud of 'em, actually.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Oh, by the way: I *REALLY* like this phone. And the camera's working great for me. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hahahaha oh man why you get so angry? I guess you're in the industry so you care about these things a lot more than we do. However. I get what you're saying.

We are only consumers. We watch videos and judge the phone based on your judgements. You guys are the trend setters. I don't know what to say.

All that said, I really really love the phone as well. And I'm just concerned about the camera I'm not saying it's bad by any means.

I'm glad you cleared things out.
Nobody's arguing with you man :O
I like android Central. I use your app daily. I love these forums. We're not against you. We're with you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12