LTE Bands the Verizon model has in common with the Unlocked model

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Just checked on my Verizon HTC 10 preorder and decided to see how many LTE bands it has in common with the Unlocked:

Verizon HTC 10: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 20, 28

Unlocked HTC 10: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 20, 28, 29, 30

Missing: 1, 12, 17, 28, 29 30

Yep, missing AT&T (17), T-Mobile (12) and it almost certainly won't work on Sprint. So, chances are you aren't moving this device over to another network at will if you want that other network's full LTE coverage.

Verizon sucks. I can't wait until my lines go off contract and I can just pay off all the equipment and switch.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: This is why Verizon is evil. Can't wait to switch away from this company.

Wait, so why doesn't the HTC Unlocked work on Verizon? And on that note, why are there any differences at all? Not buying "evil", looking for some real reasons the unlocked wouldn't work the same way that the Nexus, Moto's, iPhones, etc. do.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Wait, so why doesn't the HTC Unlocked work on Verizon? And on that note, why are there any differences at all? Not buying "evil", looking for some real reasons the unlocked wouldn't work the same way that the Nexus, Moto's, iPhones, etc. do.

Those bands were well known from the beginning and the issue is obviously not network compatibility but rather if VZW would approve that device to work - connect proper. I'm also not aware of the CDMA bands , which of course are equally important.
Given that they are selling their own branded device, its unlikely to have them give the green light for unlocked version. We'll see.

Moto XPE/VZW Moto X DE/N7

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Just checked on my Verizon HTC 10 preorder and decided to see how many LTE bands it has in common with the Unlocked:

Yep, missing AT&T (17), T-Mobile (12) and it almost certainly won't work on Sprint. So, chances are you aren't moving this device over to another network at will if you want that other network's full LTE coverage.

Verizon sucks. I can't wait until my lines go off contract and I can just pay off all the equipment and switch.

Did you check the CDMA bands as well?

Moto XPE/VZW Moto X DE/N7

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint uses primary CDMA for voice and Text. CDMA never adopts the concept of unlocked phones. It requires your phone's ESN (each CMDA phone has one) be registered in the carrier's database. Without it, it won't activate. That's the end of the story. GSM carriers don't have this requirement. So any GSM phones can work when you plug in the SIM card.

A few big players actual do work with these CDMA carriers to register all their handsets' ESN. For example, Nexus 5 works with AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint but not Verizon. However Nexus 5X works with all four carriers. iPhone and Moto are the same story.

Since HTC already stated the unlocked version won't work with Verizon. That means it didn't get the ESNs into the Verizon's database. That's the end of story. No sense to speculate again.
If you are with Verizon, unlocked phone should be a foreign concept. Only a few select phones work. Majority doesn't.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site

CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint uses primary CDMA for voice and Text. CDMA never adopts the concept of unlocked phones. It requires your phone's ESN (each CMDA phone has one) be registered in the carrier's database. Without it, it won't activate. That's the end of the story. GSM carriers don't have this requirement. So any GSM phones can work when you plug in the SIM card.

A few big players actual do work with these CDMA carriers to register all their handsets' ESN. For example, Nexus 5 works with AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint but not Verizon. However Nexus 5X works with all four carriers. iPhone and Moto are the same story.

Since HTC already stated the unlocked version won't work with Verizon. That means it didn't get the ESNs into the Verizon's database. That's the end of story. No sense to speculate again.
If you are with Verizon, unlocked phone should be a foreign concept. Only a few select phones work. Majority doesn't.

It's much simpler than that. There are no technical limitations.

Example: All recent Apple Devices are unlock able or unlocked. iPads. iPhones. They work in All carriers. They all have CDMA bands. Not that it matters, Verizon hardly uses CDMA unless there's no LTE signal (can't remember the last time I was on 3G).

HTC and Samsung don't have the power, sadly to make their phones universal because of business deals with carriers.

Apple and recently, Google does.

Still, another huge bonus from buying Apple devices.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

CDMA is still used for voice and text. But data are largely on LTE. Verizon plans to move to VoLTE and shutdown CDMA but it is not quite there yet. Until then, you are still rely on CDMA for voice and SMS. No, there is no technical limitation Verizon just like to be a control freak.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, there is no technical reason why US CDMA carriers couldn't/didn't use SIM cards in their implementation of CDMA.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Apple can do it.

In terms of sales, low-volume OEMs like Google, BlackBerry, and Motorola can do it.

HTC probably didn't want to take on the extra costs involved.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

CDMA is still used for voice and text. But data are largely on LTE. Verizon plans to move to VoLTE and shutdown CDMA but it is not quite there yet. Until then, you are still rely on CDMA for voice and SMS. No, there is no technical limitation Verizon just like to be a control freak.

HTC tried to do LTE-only with the unlocked One A9 so that it would work on Verizon.

They ended up scrapping that.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site

Not here. My phone doesn't use the CDMA radio for anything. It's on permanent LTE for Voice, Data, everything. I live in Mass.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I think of you use an existing SIM the esn not being in the data base might not matter...at least that's what I was told when I purchased a 6P

Posted via the Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

That's the while point. They don't want to make it easier for you to move to another carrier. They want to make it as hard as they're allowed to. If they could still legally sell locked phone especially they'd do it. But they can still make sure their phones are not really compatible with anyone else's network.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not here. My phone doesn't use the CDMA radio for anything. It's on permanent LTE for Voice, Data, everything. I live in Mass.
How do you know that (there is no separate CMDA icon to show you). I think SMS still falls back to CMDA

I think of you use an existing SIM the esn not being in the data base might not matter...at least that's what I was told when I purchased a 6P

Posted via the Android Central App
No, ESN has nothing to do with SIM card. SIM takes care of LTE part of radio. ESN is hardcoded like IMEI of GSM and associated with the CDMA part of radio. All modern Verizon phones require two radios.

Also, there is no technical reason why US CDMA carriers couldn't/didn't use SIM cards in their implementation of CDMA.

Why should they. I never heard any CDMA carrier use SIM card. SIM is a GSM technology developed by European (Nokia). CDMA is an American technology (Qualcomm). They are competing technologies. With CMDA pretty much a dead tech (only half dozen countries use it. Rest of the world use GSM).

The only reason you see Verizon use SIM card now is because LTE, also a GSM technology. All modern Verizon phones carry two separate radio: one for CMDA, one for LTE.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
How do you know that (there is no separate CMDA icon to show you). I think SMS still falls back to CMDA

No, ESN has nothing to do with SIM card. SIM takes care of LTE part of radio. ESN is hardcoded like IMEI of GSM and associated with the CDMA part of radio. All modern Verizon phones require two radios.

Why should they. I never heard any CDMA carrier use SIM card. SIM is a GSM technology developed by European (Nokia). CDMA is an American technology (Qualcomm). They are competing technologies. With CMDA pretty much a dead tech (only half dozen countries use it. Rest of the world use GSM).

The only reason you see Verizon use SIM card now is because LTE, also a GSM technology. All modern Verizon phones carry two separate radio: one for CMDA, one for LTE.

SMS falls back on CDMA lol. What is this 2000? No, Verizon certainly doesn't do that. Your phone keeps 1 radio on at a time, whether that's LTE or the CDMA. Not both. Also Verizon keeps a record of your SMS and MMS for the Message+ app. It goes through LTE.

Verizon doesn't CDMA anymore, for almost any urban area. Yes, you'll fall back on 3G when you go into rural areas. So Verizon still needs it until they convert all their towers to GSM (LTE). But then, their branded phones will probably STILL have missing LTE bands.

I think you are confused and also, about 10 years behind the times. CDMA has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. Zilch. Nada. That is because ALL world phones come with CDMA by default anyway. See -> All Modern iPhones. See -> Modern Nexus.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Regardless. the activation requires both radio be activated at the same time.

LTE only devices seem to have a hard time to get activated even if it is released by Verizon (LT Urbane 2 watch) as most places have no idea how to do it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

..just sayin'.

There have been CDMA carriers in countries like Japan that used SIM cards for their phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All modern Verizon phones carry two separate radio: one for CMDA, one for LTE.

Actually, that is no longer the case.

It's one cellular radio now. That's why you need Advanced Calling 1.0 to do calls and data simultaneously.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
..just sayin'.

There have been CDMA carriers in countries like Japan that used SIM cards for their phones.

Japan uses WCDMA almost exclusively. It is not one of the CDMA countries. WCDMA, also known as 3G GSM, is actually used for GSM carriers, not CDMA carriers. Although it is a Qualcomm technology but never used on CDMA carriers because it is incompatible.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually, that is no longer the case.

It's one cellular radio now. That's why you need Advanced Calling 1.0 to do calls and data simultaneously.

AFAIK, all the phone released so far still require two radios: CDMA and LTE but only one radio active at anytime. Verizon is trying very hard to get rid of CMDA side of things but not there yet. Case in point, a recent release of LG LTE watch on Verizon that carries only LTE radio has a lot of trouble get properly activated on the Verizon network if you don't also have an latest Verizon LTE Android phone (iPhone won't work because it is an AW watch).