09-26-2017 05:50 AM
50 12
tools
    Phil wasn't kidding when he said the polarization makes use with sunglasses impossible. I like this phone a lot, but bit being able to use with sunglasses on is a huge problem.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-06-2016 08:10 AM
    My g4 was the same, can be annoying

05-06-2016 09:41 AM
    Lol, not to trivialise this issue, it really isn't an issue in the UK.

Still no sign of phone's in the UK, is it just the USA at the moment? Any other country got them?
    thejesse likes this.
    05-06-2016 10:40 AM
    Phil wasn't kidding when he said the polarization makes use with sunglasses impossible. I like this phone a lot, but bit being able to use with sunglasses on is a huge problem.

Yeah, I am wondering if a screen protector might fix this, otherwise it might be going back unfortunately. Really disappointed in the screen compared to the Nexus 6P.
    05-06-2016 11:08 AM
    Lol, not to trivialise this issue, it really isn't an issue in the UK.

Still no sign of phone's in the UK, is it just the USA at the moment? Any other country got them?
    The phones are being shipped in the UK starting from today. Most early preorders will receive them by end of next week. I just received an email from Carphone Warehouse saying mine will arrive tomorrow.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-06-2016 02:10 PM
    makes use with sunglasses impossible.
    Just so people don't get the wrong impression, I must say that's not accurate. I don't own any polarized lenses but I just tried all of my sunglasses with this phone (including an expensive prescription pair) and there was no issue whatsoever. So, I'd venture to say it's only an issue with polarized sunglasses.
    radgatt and thejesse like this.
    05-06-2016 04:27 PM
    My prescription sunglasses are polarized. I can see my G3 and G4 screen OK right side up but not much sideways.

Is this the same on the HTC 10?
    05-06-2016 04:56 PM
    All LCD screens are polarized. It is just which angle they are designed with. You'd need AMOLED screen to avoid it.
    codeda, B0WIE and Aquila like this.
    05-06-2016 07:59 PM
    Yeah I have the issue too. It's usually very sunny here in Australia and polarised glasses don't work well on this phone.

It's not impossible to see, but it does make the screen considerably darker.
    05-06-2016 08:32 PM
    I wear polarized sunglasses. I don't have the issue with this screen. I can see it without much difficulty when outside wearing my sunglasses.
    05-06-2016 11:00 PM
    Is the screen polarized horizontally or vertically?

05-07-2016 03:45 AM
    I have the same issue with my M7. At the time it was the only phone you could see in the daylight. When wearing sun glasses I always have to remove them or look out underneath the lenses. A small price to pay to be able to use it in the sun. Im sure the 10 will be the same. FYI, I have the same thing with my car radio display and sunglasses but I didnt toss the car, LOL!
    05-07-2016 09:15 AM
    Is the screen polarized horizontally or vertically?

It is polarized vertically. I hold the phone horizontal and I don't have an issue at all. This is unfortunate.

Posted via the HTC 10
    05-07-2016 09:44 AM
    It is polarized vertically. I hold the phone horizontal and I don't have an issue at all. This is unfortunate.

Posted via the HTC 10
    So I'll need to get a horizontal holder for my car until I get something with Android Auto. Not the end of the world but it kinda sucks.
    05-07-2016 09:59 AM
    So I'll need to get a horizontal holder for my car until I get something with Android Auto. Not the end of the world but it kinda sucks.
    Yeah today is the first sunny day it has been around here since I got there device so I have had to use my glasses. The screen was so dark I was surprised. I turned it horizontal by accident and could see again lol. It's weird that it has this kind of issue.

Posted via the HTC 10
    05-07-2016 10:24 AM
    I wear polarized sunglasses. I don't have the issue with this screen. I can see it without much difficulty when outside wearing my sunglasses.
    That's interesting. I can't see it with my polarized glasses.

Posted via the HTC 10
    05-07-2016 10:26 AM
    The phones are being shipped in the UK starting from today. Most early preorders will receive them by end of next week. I just received an email from Carphone Warehouse saying mine will arrive tomorrow.
    Happy Phone Day!
    05-07-2016 11:08 AM
    This is why I canceled my preorder. Yes I'm serious. The Fire Phone, for all its faults, at least used an LCD panel that didn't black out with shades. Oh well. Maybe they will source a good panel for the HTC 11.
    05-07-2016 01:46 PM
    Used the phone all day today and didn't think this would be an issue but it ultimately became annoying.

Phone is going back
    05-07-2016 05:05 PM
    Every pair of polarized sunglasses are vertically polarized. They have to be to block horizontal reflected light. Cool trick — next time you see a good, bright rainbow grab a pair of polarized sunglasses, and tilt your head at random angles while looking at it.

LCD panels are also all polarized, but they don't have to be vertically polarized because they aren't blocking reflection from flat surfaces like a wet road of the water. If the polarization angle on your LCD matches the angle on your glasses, you won't see anything.

Older LCD's had fewer problems, because TN panels are polarized at 45 and 135 degrees. They need to be because of the shape of the crystals in a TN panel. They're asymmetric, and you need to polarize at 45 and 135 to provide enough contrast and the maximum viewing angle. If you've ever used a wide TN display you'll notice that things start to look weird if you're not directly facing it. It would be even worse if the polarization angle was wider or more shallow.

Most modern high-res LCDs use IPS or PLS panels. They will display a better viewing angle if the polarization is at 90 degrees or zero degrees. Some use a backlighting pattern that requires a zero angle (vertical) polarization to display higher contrast and "blacker" blacks. Others use a different backlighting panel that needs 90 degree (horizontal) polarization so that the blacks don't "glow" if you're not viewing straight on.

This is why older panels can look fine when held vertical and horizontal, and newer panels are unreadable in one direction.

None of this helps if you can't see your phone when you're holding it the way you wanna hold it, but I thought some might find the way it works and why some are different than others interesting.
    05-08-2016 02:15 AM
    Wait, so this screen is polarized in a way that you can't see the screen vertically but can horizontally? If so, that's the opposite of the LG G4 and is worse in my opinion. I can tolerate it on my G4 mainly because I'm usually not looking at it horizontally with my sunglasses on.

05-08-2016 07:27 AM
    All LCD screens are polarized. It is just which angle they are designed with. You'd need AMOLED screen to avoid it.
    Except somehow the Huawei P9 completely avoided this. None of the polarization issues of the G5 or HTC 10. (Enough to make me think maybe it's really AMOLED?)
    05-08-2016 07:36 AM

Not impossible like the G4 in landscape, but it's not good. Cranking the bright ness up all the way helps. It's as if HTC (and LG on the G5) did something to try to mitigate this, but it's still tough.
    05-08-2016 07:38 AM
    I've seen a couple of you tone videos demonstrating that anti glare screen protectors can help mitigate this, so going to try that. If it doesn't work it's going back.

It's just disappointing because this phone is great, but I could keep using my a9 until the next nexus confess out.

But LCD needs to die

05-08-2016 08:16 AM
    Not impossible like the G4 in landscape, but it's not good. Cranking the bright ness up all the way helps. It's as if HTC (and LG on the G5) did something to try to mitigate this, but it's still tough.
    And the V10 as well. Mine is unusable in landscape with my sunglasses, certainly a bummer in my car dock. Thought I was going crazy, thanks to you and Jerry for the explanation.
    05-08-2016 08:32 AM
50 12