HTC 10 SD card requirements?

A

AC Question

Have tried two micro SD cards to no avail. First was SanDisk Ultra, 32GB, Class 10 microSDHC UHS-I. Phone told me the card was too slow to use for internal storage. Next was Samsung microSDXC UHS-I PRO Plus 64GB - phone lists this card as "unsupported". Started a chat with a HTC representative and was told that card needed to be a Class 2 SDSC or SDHC card (but she also indicated that the size limit is 2TB) - this did not seem to be accurate. So I called and was told that it should accept any microSD card - he told me to try a third brand, and if this does not work, to call back. Very frustrating - anyone else having SD card problems, or know of the actual requirements/limitations?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I recommend joining as a member - you'll be welcome - and engaging with other users in the HTC 10 forum, to which I'll request that this be moved.

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It has 4k video, so if you want full capability, get a U3 card. Size is up to you. I'd recommend SanDisk, because they invented the technology, they're an easy company to work with (SanDisk microSD Tech Support for almost instant live chat with someone who knows something) and their cards rarely need that kind of help anyway.

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
It has 4k video, so if you want full capability, get a U3 card. Size is up to you. I'd recommend SanDisk, because they invented the technology, they're an easy company to work with (SanDisk microSD Tech Support for almost instant live chat with someone who knows something) and their cards rarely need that kind of help anyway.

Well, the one I bought 2 years ago is U1, and recorded 4K without any issues. Think its just making sure what the write speads are.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I use a scan disc 128gb card class 10. No issues.
7ad62a618577669b1f987945bc081a13.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Have tried two micro SD cards to no avail. First was SanDisk Ultra, 32GB, Class 10 microSDHC UHS-I. Phone told me the card was too slow to use for internal storage. Next was Samsung microSDXC UHS-I PRO Plus 64GB - phone lists this card as "unsupported". Started a chat with a HTC representative and was told that card needed to be a Class 2 SDSC or SDHC card (but she also indicated that the size limit is 2TB) - this did not seem to be accurate. So I called and was told that it should accept any microSD card - he told me to try a third brand, and if this does not work, to call back. Very frustrating - anyone else having SD card problems, or know of the actual requirements/limitations?

Odd....I haven't had an issue using any micro SD card with any phone but I don't have the HTC.

Posted via the Android Central App

clownstrike

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
The OP is talking about adoptable storage, not regular external SD storage. I've had the same problem with my 10 received yesterday. 64gb SanDisk Extreme bought this week from Amazon doesn't work. Trying 64 Samsung Pro+ from BestBuy later today, but now not hopeful based on OP comments. I'll let you know how it goes.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the same San Disk Ultra 32GB with no issues as adoptable storage..
dba3fc62416eba58a46855e4e5a8f8b6.jpg

May sound crazy but try an hard reset if you haven't already! It may be a glitch in the set up wizard or something like that..

zizu101

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it's the same with the M8, but I did it for the M8 and with a SanDisk micro SD card class 10, and that it worked but they gave me the same warning you guys had but I still did it, and then till now there are no problems. I think it's just a simple message of precaution so nobody complains about a shred of slowness.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(8938849)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine is having sd card trouble. I actually got it to use my 64gb Sandisk as adopted just fine, but I didn't care for adopted so I changed it back. My phone has now twice alerted me to unmount the sd card before removing it, out of nowhere. Now the phone thinks there is no card inserted and even a restart doesn't help. I have to eject the disc tray and put it back in for it to register that there is a card.

It's only happened twice but this is within 24 hours so it's very very troubling. I bought it outright from Verizon and have no insurance so i feel like exchanging while I have the option might be the safest bet?

I've never had trouble with sd cards like this and between that, the disappointing battery life I'm getting, and the fact it's unusable with sunglasses is really making this phone more disappointing than I'd hoped.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
My HTC One A9 said my SanDisk Extreme card was too slow for adoptable storage but I formatted it anyway and never experienced any issues. When I ordered my HTC 10 I bought another SanDisk Extreme and used it as adoptable storage without the warning.
I don't have an answer to why people sometimes get this warning but if you know you have a quality card it appears you can ignore the warning.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
So the thing is with my AA in IT for adoptable storage as I have read and understand from google is that you need a really fast Micro sd card such as like the Samsung pro+ 64 or 128 though SanDisk is the leader is fast cards and the most reliable best buy has this card on sell, The SanDisk extreme plus 128 for 99.99 it is at best buy I work for them and it si a really fast card it is a U3 and will do just fien and lst you more then the life of the phone and when you are done with the phone all you need to do is take it out and reformat he card in a computer and then do a Hard reset of the device. that is the thing about adoptable storage is that that cars is now apart of the system.

itsavwmodel

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I bought a new microSD card for my HTC 10 (phone due to be despatched today). I had a SanDisk U1 before, but this is a SanDisk U3 Extreme Pro 32GB card and cost £19 delivered from 7DayShop.com (a great outlet for top brand memory cards and other peripherals). Always found SanDisk to be top quality and very reliable. All I need now is a 4K TV...!

Kelly Harris 10

May 10, 2016
Visit site
I just received my 10 2day & am just now getting around 2 starting it up--I grabbed a SanDisk Ultra Plus 64GB as my microSD card. Am I gonna hv probs w this? It was the most available storage microSD card that Walmart (I know, I know...) had. HTC won't gv u a straight ans abt ANYTHING--"U can hv phone adopt microSD storage, then remove it, & put n another one 2 keep as un-adoptabtable storage", etc, etc--I'm sure some of u hv heard it if u called HTC. Btw, I'm gonna go ahead & put it out there...I'm pretty stupid abt this type of thing. Will this card work? Oops, another thing, I've nvr been on one of these forums, & it says "Post Quick Reply"...I may hv hit wrong thing & I'm replying 2 last person's post (sorry), but plz don't laugh me outta here--I obviously can't get straight ans from HTC...

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I just put in an older 32G PNY MicroSD card, nothing fancy. There is a message that the card is not supported in notifications, yet it shows in storage, the music plays, I can see all the files in the file manager. I think its not compatible for internal storage, but for external like music it seems ok so far.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I just received my 10 2day & am just now getting around 2 starting it up--I grabbed a SanDisk Ultra Plus 64GB as my microSD card. Am I gonna hv probs w this? It was the most available storage microSD card that Walmart (I know, I know...) had. HTC won't gv u a straight ans abt ANYTHING--"U can hv phone adopt microSD storage, then remove it, & put n another one 2 keep as un-adoptabtable storage", etc, etc--I'm sure some of u hv heard it if u called HTC. Btw, I'm gonna go ahead & put it out there...I'm pretty stupid abt this type of thing. Will this card work? Oops, another thing, I've nvr been on one of these forums, & it says "Post Quick Reply"...I may hv hit wrong thing & I'm replying 2 last person's post (sorry), but plz don't laugh me outta here--I obviously can't get straight ans from HTC...
This card is not a great choice for adoptable storage. However, unless you NEED to move apps to your SD card, I would suggest setting the card as portable storage rather than adoptable. Your card would be fine for that.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I just put in an older 32G PNY MicroSD card, nothing fancy. There is a message that the card is not supported in notifications, yet it shows in storage, the music plays, I can see all the files in the file manager. I think its not compatible for internal storage, but for external like music it seems ok so far.

I found the phone to be real laggy so I took the card out and it reacts way better. I was hitting and hitting and nothing happening. It still happens a bit but now its much better. I dont want to use as internal storage, just storage. Any one have similar experience or one that works?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12