Torn between HTC 10 and LG G5

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm a current HTC one M8 owner and in due of and update. I know the LG G5 has been bashed to death but I love how snappy and fast it seems compared to other flagships. Probably splitting hairs but the Htc10 looks a little bit slower with regard to the menu screens Also, LG G5 camera is supposed to be great and it still has the IR blaster.

However, I'm a massive audiophile so I know htc10 will have great headphone audio that the LG G5 won't be able to match. But this to me feels like the only real advantage. LG Also has removable battery and standby info screen.

Not trying to be unnecessarily controversial as I know this is probably an unpopular match up, most people will stump for the HTC 10, but for the reasons I've started above I'm still actually on the fence about the HTC 10. And design and build issues aside feel the LG is more of a HTC phone than HTC 10. Anybody else had secret shame desire over the LG G5?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have an HTC 10 and it is a snappy and lag free experience. I believe the LG G5 has been bashed mainly because of its looks and how they have tried to execute the 'friends' that they have. Not all of the 'modules' for the phone will make it over to the US. I believe the cameras on the two are a toss up. If you like the wide angle enough I would tell you to lean toward the LG G5. How often do you use the IR blaster?

The audio experience, especially through headphones won't be matched by LG. LG does have a removable battery but it is 200 mAh smaller than the HTC 10. You will get a larger screen by .1" if you were to go the G5 route. Have you been able to test both of them out?

I don't have any secret desire for the G5. I can't relate to you on that. It seems to me that you are leaning toward the G5. I say give it a try. If you like it you have one helluva device. If you don't like it then go the HTC 10 route. If you're not on Verizon then you won't have to worry about whichever phone you get not getting an update.

Go with what you want. It's the weekend, celebrate it with a new phone purchase.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm a current HTC one M8 owner and in due of and update. I know the LG G5 has been bashed to death but I love how snappy and fast it seems compared to other flagships. Probably splitting hairs but the Htc10 looks a little bit slower with regard to the menu screens Also, LG G5 camera is supposed to be great and it still has the IR blaster.

However, I'm a massive audiophile so I know htc10 will have great headphone audio that the LG G5 won't be able to match. But this to me feels like the only real advantage. LG Also has removable battery and standby info screen.

Not trying to be unnecessarily controversial as I know this is probably an unpopular match up, most people will stump for the HTC 10, but for the reasons I've started above I'm still actually on the fence about the HTC 10. And design and build issues aside feel the LG is more of a HTC phone than HTC 10. Anybody else had secret shame desire over the LG G5?

I own the G5 and may end up with both. I think the G5 is slightly snappier but the HTC is fine. Love the camera and its options on the G5.

Posted via the Android Central App

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
True.
If you are really into audio, the 10 seems like a no-brainer. I think that everything else is splitting hairs.
Yep that's it really, they all seen kinda similar performance wise with the unique features being that HTC has the superior audio, LG the removable battery / IR blaster and Samsung water proofing. I like my audio a lot so that'll probably be the deal breaker but will miss an IR blaster.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
True.

Yep that's it really, they all seen kinda similar performance wise with the unique features being that HTC has the superior audio, LG the removable battery / IR blaster and Samsung water proofing. I like my audio a lot so that'll probably be the deal breaker but will miss an IR blaster.

Though I like the IR blaster, I would be ok without it. Comes in handy if you can't find your remote. I guess if you have Remote control lights it might be more important. I just wish more phones would include it.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
True.

Go with whichever one you want man don't worry about it. Theyre all very good. Just go with the one you're comfortable with.

lontano

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

I suggest you go to a Verizon store with whatever earphones/headphones you use and listen to both to see if you find the difference significant. I posted at the link below about my experience doing just that. The audio from the G5 is not bad at all, definitely miles better than the GS7. You may find it satisfactory. The G5 is quite a nice device with its share of advantages over the 10. For me, probably 85% of my interaction with a phone is through the speaker(s) or headphones, and my SE-535's do reveal the superiority of the 10 headphone output. I think the G5 camera set-up is very appealing and I give them all kinds of credit, but I just don't take that many photos.

Before I ordered the 10 I made this list of pros and cons:

HTC 10:
Pro:
  • Best headphone audio, saves over $100 on external DAC/amp
  • Best speakers
  • Good OS update policy, a reason to buy unlocked
  • Uh-Oh protection
  • Adoptable storage
  • The only phone with good microphones for audio/video

Con:
  • No removable battery
  • Good but less impressive camera
  • Needs new connectors
  • HTC may go away
  • Gorilla Glass 3 or 4?

LG G5:
Pro:
  • Removable battery, should last the longest for that reason
  • Great (best?) cameras
  • Decent speaker
  • Excellent signal reception

Con:
  • Light bleed?
  • Vulnerable screen, glass screen protector may not fit
  • No quick charge in the box
  • QC problems. Reports of detaching power buttons
  • Poorly located fingerprint scanner
  • Reports of problems with auto brightness

I think you'll like either one if there aren't problems with your unit. To be fair, there are scattered reports of minor QC problems with the 10, too.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...o-focused-comparison-htc-10-m8-lg-g5-gs7.html

Stykthyn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Coming from an m8 I found the g5 to feel cheap in my hand. It was fast. I give it that. The camera is top notch. Audio...well that just wasn't their focus. The audio module that plugged into the phone as of now isn't available in the US. Which brings me to my one major gripe. The "friends" as LG has dubbed them are in my mind a complete failure and here's why. LG is relying on 3rd party development to expand their line up. If LG has already dropped out of the production of modular accessories I don't see anyone else backing it. It's not a bad concept at all, unfortunately, I think it's at this point ahead of its time.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Coming from an m8 I found the g5 to feel cheap in my hand. It was fast. I give it that. The camera is top notch. Audio...well that just wasn't their focus. The audio module that plugged into the phone as of now isn't available in the US. Which brings me to my one major gripe. The "friends" as LG has dubbed them are in my mind a complete failure and here's why. LG is relying on 3rd party development to expand their line up. If LG has already dropped out of the production of modular accessories I don't see anyone else backing it. It's not a bad concept at all, unfortunately, I think it's at this point ahead of its time.

Most of us that own the G5 don't care about the mods. We know, it's a failure. We don't care.

On the audio front, I'm with you. If you need high-res audio then absolutely. I was thinking of getting the 10 myself earlier this year until I actually checked out the G5 for myself. Though on the podcast at the end, there was talk of the 820 and it's audio capabilities. Apparently the 805 was better in this regard which makes me curious to see what HTC has done with the 820. I can't pass judgment, I haven't gotten my hands on it.

As far as it feeling cheap, to each their own.

It does make me sad that HTC didn't go with software buttons. That hardware home button just kills me.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I suggest you go to a Verizon store with whatever earphones/headphones you use and listen to both to see if you find the difference significant. I posted at the link below about my experience doing just that. The audio from the G5 is not bad at all, definitely miles better than the GS7. You may find it satisfactory. The G5 is quite a nice device with its share of advantages over the 10. For me, probably 85% of my interaction with a phone is through the speaker(s) or headphones, and my SE-535's do reveal the superiority of the 10 headphone output. I think the G5 camera set-up is very appealing and I give them all kinds of credit, but I just don't take that many photos.

Before I ordered the 10 I made this list of pros and cons:

HTC 10:
Pro:
  • Best headphone audio, saves over $100 on external DAC/amp
  • Best speakers
  • Good OS update policy, a reason to buy unlocked
  • Uh-Oh protection
  • Adoptable storage
  • The only phone with good microphones for audio/video

Con:
  • No removable battery
  • Good but less impressive camera
  • Needs new connectors
  • HTC may go away
  • Gorilla Glass 3 or 4?

LG G5:
Pro:
  • Removable battery, should last the longest for that reason
  • Great (best?) cameras
  • Decent speaker
  • Excellent signal reception

Con:
  • Light bleed?
  • Vulnerable screen, glass screen protector may not fit
  • No quick charge in the box
  • QC problems. Reports of detaching power buttons
  • Poorly located fingerprint scanner
  • Reports of problems with auto brightness

I think you'll like either one if there aren't problems with your unit. To be fair, there are scattered reports of minor QC problems with the 10, too.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...o-focused-comparison-htc-10-m8-lg-g5-gs7.html
Thx for that summary of phones that will help me a lot 😁 As you said the g5 has a lot of advantages but leaning towards the htc10... However the m8 price is too high so going to wait two months for inevitable price drop... and who knows the Moto X 2016 might get released soon by then as that could be promising too!

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Thx for that summary of phones that will help me a lot ?????? As you said the g5 has a lot of advantages but leaning towards the htc10... However the m8 price is too high so going to wait two months for inevitable price drop... and who knows the Moto X 2016 might get released soon by then as that could be promising too!

Then when the Moto X comes out and you decide you like that, wait for that price drop, then the next nexus will be out, then wait for that price drop, etc etc ;)

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I admire the G5 and think it's got a lot of character. Unfortunately, "character" gets bashed in this biz and the G5 is sadly overlooked. That said, the 10 has zero lag and I can't imagine that being a reason to choose the G5.
I'm an audio engineer and I'm in love with the headphone audio, beyond anything I've heard in a phone. It's like using dedicated equipment.
The 10 is gorgeous and looks nicer than the rather homely G5.
The 10 charges amazingly quick and I'm getting great battery life so I wouldn't want a removable (esp one that may have a failing seal some day).
Cams are comparable, though I like the bright nature of the 10's pics. I like both better than the S7.
I wouldn't use standby info but if that's important, tap to wake/sleep is rather easy.

If the 10 didn't exist I would probably go for the G5 over the S7. I really do appreciate what LG did there and think it's a clever phone. I just can't imagine choosing it over the 10 though.

It does make me sad that HTC didn't go with software buttons. That hardware home button just kills me.
You're talking about the capacitive fingerprint scanner/home button? It's not a clicky button like the S7. It's super-sensitive and no different than touching the screen (aside from feeling softer).

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
The g5 is the first smartphone is probably too years I have had no desire to own. I normally buy every new flagship device as I have issues. But the g5 after watching videos, reading reviews and playing with one in store I have zero interest in.

Even though I talk myself into justifying my purchases lol I couldn't even come up with a good reason to get it.

The 10 has been amazing so far. Love the fit. And the software is full of little touches that I love. So far so good.

SophiaPetrillo

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
If you like LG and since you seem to be an audiophile, the V10 is said to have one of the best DACs. The camera is essentially the same as the G4's, which was pretty good. Although it has plastic components and might be a little behind in terms of specs, it can still rival any flagship. If you are only considering the G5 and HTC 10, I'd go for the G5. The 10 was just released, and you may want to wait a little while to see how everything fares.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nobody buys a phone for its phone capabilities any more. Maybe we should stop calling them phones.

Kluch

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm having this very same debate. I can upgrade my phone now but I'm unsure of whether to go with the G5 or HTC10. G5 has the awesome wide angle camera and always on screen. The removable battery is also cool. I just wonder if HTC will get updates sooner since it's skin is toned down more and closer to stock android. I'd be interested in hearing from more people that have owned either phone.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I just wonder if HTC will get updates sooner since it's skin is toned down more and closer to stock android.

It's still an HTC skin. In theory, it may take less time, what with there being less OEM customization, but it's still a skin. Also, if you get a carrier model, they have to get their hands on it. That's the worst part.

I'm saying this assuming you're in the states. I no nothing of European providers.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
For the G5 I think there is a dedicated audio module you can attach, but that's the thing. The HTC doesn't need any attachments to improve the experience.

Posted via HTC 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678