Music players accessing audio in emails.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
This may be a new thing in android but I've only experienced it in the 10 so I'll ask here.
Scenario; I have a lot of clients who email me audio tracks of their work. I have found that my music players (stock and non-stock) are able to see these tracks and they will play them, even if I haven't opened that email. In other words, I haven't even downloaded the songs in the emails (as far as I know because it never told me I did and I haven't looked at the emails) but the music players will still show them in my albums and play the music attached to those emails.
This is going to create a huge mess because some of these clients are established artists and their album art is attached to the songs, etc, cluttering up my music player with songs that I do not want to listen to during my recreation time.

How do I go about making it so that the email app is not sharing these songs with the phone?? Thanks!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In Poweramp, go to Settings -> Folders and Library -> Music Folders.

Look for similar settings in other music players.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
In Poweramp, go to Settings -> Folders and Library -> Music Folders.

Look for similar settings in other music players.

Ah! That might work. Amazon player doesn't have that option and BlackPlayer seems to have it in pro-only, so I can't tell.

That might touch on a second question of mine, I have hundreds of albums which I have organized in categories that make sense. Players tend to butcher this organization. If I want the player to use my own file system in the way I've organized it, do I use that same kind of setting? It's hard for me to take a guess without currently having a player with that feature. Thanks.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, with Poweramp, you can view your library by Folder (in other words, you arrange all your music into folders that suit your taste), or by Albums - Artist - Genre - Playlist.

I suggest you install the free Poweramp trial and play with it a bit. It's probably the most popular music player for Android and rightly so.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, with Poweramp, you can view your library by Folder (in other words, you arrange all your music into folders that suit your taste), or by Albums - Artist - Genre - Playlist.

I suggest you install the free Poweramp trial and play with it a bit. It's probably the most popular music player for Android and rightly so.

With all the players I've used they let me sort by the same categories, but I was hoping I could find one that would let me browse by my own filing system, which goes by Genre, then Artist sub-folders, then Albums within those, rather than listing a million artists, albums, or the odd genre listings. Maybe I'll just have to use a file manager for that.
Thanks for the reply though.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
With all the players I've used they let me sort by the same categories, but I was hoping I could find one that would let me browse by my own filing system, which goes by Genre, then Artist sub-folders, then Albums within those, rather than listing a million artists, albums, or the odd genre listings. Maybe I'll just have to use a file manager for that.
Thanks for the reply though.

Poweramp will let you do that.

Use whatever file manager you like to arrange your music into folders and subfolders.

In Poweramp, select Folder view and then tap the three vertical dot menu and select List Options -> View As -> Hierarchy.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Is the stock HTC music player we had for the M9 still downloadable?
I couldn't find the HTC music player in the store and, even more sadly, I can't find the HTC Gallery when I search the play store on my 10. Really want to ditch google photos.

dmack0706

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking u might need to go into email settings and go to sync send receive and hit include file attachment and put ck on never. I think u might have it on something else so when u open up email it automatically downloads attachments. Normally when u physically open attachments it ask u what u want to open it with. With your setting it might automatically load it to music player because it's a music file.

Posted via the Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking u might need to go into email settings and go to sync send receive and hit include file attachment and put ck on never. I think u might have it on something else so when u open up email it automatically downloads attachments. Normally when u physically open attachments it ask u what u want to open it with. With your setting it might automatically load it to music player because it's a music file.

Posted via the Android Central App

I think you're right! The way they worded it for this phone made it sound like you won't even know an attachment is there. I never expected it to be automatically be downloading them and not even telling me. Thanks, you saved me a big headache!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty