Be careful what charger you use with the HTC 10...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well color me confused. I use my Chromebook Pixel (2015) charger to charge my HTC 10 every night. I leave it on there night for up to 7 hours. Phone is always on, cool, and fully charged in the morning.

It's 60 watts:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store.google.com/us/?hl=en-US&token=fkvb6ehu
Jerry stated that he has a pixel c which comes with a 15w charger. The Pixel C is a tablet powered by a Tegra x1 processor and starts at $500.

The chromebook pixel is a laptop style and comes with a 60w charger and is powered by an Intel core i5/i7 processor. It starts at $1000.

There are numerous other differences, which I won't get into here but essentially the Pixel C is powered by a mobile processor similar to the snapdragon 810, but the core i5 /i7 processors are desktop processors which need a lot more juice.

anon(5356006)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been charging my HTC 10 with my Pixel C charger and haven't had a problem once. it charges normally, stays cool, and every morning it's at 100%.

SeltzerWater

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Jerry stated that he has a pixel c which comes with a 15w charger. The Pixel C is a tablet powered by a Tegra x1 processor and starts at $500.

The chromebook pixel is a laptop style and comes with a 60w charger and is powered by an Intel core i5/i7 processor. It starts at $1000.

There are numerous other differences, which I won't get into here but essentially the Pixel C is powered by a mobile processor similar to the snapdragon 810, but the core i5 /i7 processors are desktop processors which need a lot more juice.
Thanks, but I know all this. My question is why I have no problem with the much more powerful Chromebook charger vs. the less powerful Pixel C charger which has given the writer problem.

HikariNoKitsune

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I know all this. My question is why I have no problem with the much more powerful Chromebook charger vs. the less powerful Pixel C charger which has given the writer problem.

The only difference would be charging speed and whether or not it charges while you're using it. a higher wattage cpu will drain the battery while you're charging with a lower wattage charger. heck you'll also be more likely to fry the charger or internals of the device. while using a higher wattage charger on a lower power cpu device wont do anything negative unless the voltage supplied is different. essentially it'll just mean that it can 'perform more work' than the lower wattage charger without having to get hot and such.

its generally ok to use a higher wattage power supply/charger on lower wattage devices since the device will only use as many watts as it draws from the charger/power supply. but if the voltages are different, you'll cause damage. same for amps usually. cept with amps, its still a 'only if it draws it' sort of thing.

SeltzerWater

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
The only difference would be charging speed and whether or not it charges while you're using it. a higher wattage cpu will drain the battery while you're charging with a lower wattage charger. heck you'll also be more likely to fry the charger or internals of the device. while using a higher wattage charger on a lower power cpu device wont do anything negative unless the voltage supplied is different. essentially it'll just mean that it can 'perform more work' than the lower wattage charger without having to get hot and such.

its generally ok to use a higher wattage power supply/charger on lower wattage devices since the device will only use as many watts as it draws from the charger/power supply. but if the voltages are different, you'll cause damage. same for amps usually. cept with amps, its still a 'only if it draws it' sort of thing.
Thanks, and I know all this too. But it still doesn't answer my question: If the much lower wattage Pixel C charger caused problems, why doesn't the much higher wattage Pixel Chromebook charger cause problems?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That I have no idea. However both the chromebook pixel and pixel c supports 15w at 5v. The chromebook pixel also supports pd and up to 60w, but at a higher voltage.

SeltzerWater

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
That I have no idea. However both the chromebook pixel and pixel c supports 15w at 5v. The chromebook pixel also supports pd and up to 60w, but at a higher voltage.
My point is that the problem that started this whole thread was likely a fluke. I don't see much concern with using an alternate USB C charger (such as Pixel C or Pixel Chromebook ones) with HTC 10. But far be it for me to say with assurance.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
My point is that the problem that started this whole thread was likely a fluke. I don't see much concern with using an alternate USB C charger (such as Pixel C or Pixel Chromebook ones) with HTC 10. But far be it for me to say with assurance.
A fluke that could potentially damage the device and start a fire.

I'm not willing to just write that off with a shrug.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Same kind of fluke could happen with the stock charger. Many stories of that happening. I'm saying it's possibly no more likely with the alternate charger.
Actually you're incorrect.

HTC pops up a warning when you plug in an incompatible charger. In Jerry's case that safe guard failed. They are aware of the issues they created when they choose to implement QC3 and decided to do it anyway.

SeltzerWater

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Actually you're incorrect.

HTC pops up a warning when you plug in an incompatible charger. In Jerry's case that safe guard failed. They are aware of the issues they created when they choose to implement QC3 and decided to do it anyway.
I get zero warning when plugging in my Pixel Chromebook charger. It says Charging. Not Charging Slowly or Charging Rapidly. Just Charging. It charges at 80% per hour anyway.

Charges 0-100% in 90 minutes and stays cool the whole time.

So it works perfectly.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I get zero warning when plugging in my Pixel Chromebook charger. It says Charging. Not Charging Slowly or Charging Rapidly. Just Charging. It charges at 80% per hour anyway.

Charges 0-100% in 90 minutes and stays cool the whole time.

So it works perfectly.
For you.

What your experience tells me is that it's sort of a crap shoot from one device to another. If you can use the same charger and it works, but others can use some that get the warning, and then Jerry can use the same one you did and have issues (and not get a warning), how does that give people confidence in the implementation HTC chose?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm somewhat confused why this is all of a sudden such a big deal. Technically, QC 2.0 changed the voltage above 5 V so why is QC 3.0 getting such backlash? I understand it technically falls outside of USB-C standards but the only risk you run is if you use 3rd party cables not rated for QC 3.0, correct? So, you can use QC 3.0 certified chargers to power up your device but also get the benefit of higher transfer speeds cable in USB-C with 3rd party cables.

Again, the risk with QC devices was there with USB type A or B chargers so I am still confused why it is such a big deal with type C chargers. The real question is why does USB-C limit the voltage to within 5% of 5 V when type A and B didn't. If it had a higher range or no range, QC 3.0 would fall within specs and manufacturers of cables and chargers would have to be able to accommodate and test to higher voltages/currents. Regardless, I will still probably get the HTC 10 (waiting for gray on sprint) and just be mindful of 3rd party chargers. I as well as the general public have been doing that for years. The general public goes into the phone store to buy chargers anyway.
It's not a cable issue. It's the way QC2/3 hijack the data cables to charge at voltages that the USB-C spec does not support that is causing the problems.

Bad USB-C cables are an entirely different problem. :)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This question has been in my head for a pretty damn long while.

Jerry's HTC 10 didn't pop up any warnings, nor did it stop charging to prevent damage, but Phil's one did.

Could it be that the safeguards on Jerry's device failed to do its job?

Status
Not open for further replies.