Be careful what charger you use with the HTC 10...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Jerry had a bad experience with the htc 10 and the Pixel C charger. HTC chose to make both the wall charger and 10 itself both non - standard (they do not comply with usb c standards, although they do comply to qualcomm quick charge standards)

My HTC 10 hates the Pixel C charger My HTC 10 hates the Pixel C charger | Android Central

Last edited:

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I've charged my 10 using at least six different type A chargers without issue. My understanding of what I've read from Benson Leung is that you should be fine with any type A charger. The danger lies in using a type C charger.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The whole point of USB-C was to have one standard plug that could be used in anything else that also has that plug.

Now, HTC and Qualcomm have tainted that. They might be the first (third party cable makers notwithstanding) but they probably won't be the last.

I have a bad feeling that Samsung is going to do something similar......

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Still an issue and its going to end up a black eye for HTC (even though its the QC chip thats the true problem; poor vendor choice). I have three "old" HTC chargers (TypeA). I have not even used my quick charger. The OEM provided cord and those old chargers seem to work fine (seem). Phone is ice cold during charging and takes about 2.25 hours to charge from about 12%ish. But to contribute to my paranoia; I take the case off and put it on the aluminum case of my computer...LOL!

However I am still wary of charging and it doesn't charge unattended as I am not completely sure what is going to happen in the event something might happen like to Jerry. Phil was lucky and it gave him a warning. Jerrys just power charged.

What I would like to know is what did Phil use? Jerry used a C - C charger which I was also under the impression was where the issue really comes into play.

Standards...harumph...who needs em....apparently. And for those that say "Pay attention to the back". True, one has to be aware. But geez how many of us have a ton of old chargers laying around from previous phones? And honestly its in the smallest dog gone script. I wasn't even aware of it until the post in this thread.

I am not returning it. I am just going to be more careful is all. But for me thats no issue.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sooooooo, why use a Pixel C charger if it's not on the approved list for 3.0 charging? Warning...don't put beer in your tank. It will not work like fuel.
If it follows the usb c spec then using a pixel c charger won't cause a problem. You can use the Pixel C charger on a 6p or 5x just fine.

Also your analogy is flawed. The beer can isn't shaped anything like a fuel dispenser. This is more like pumping diesel into a gas car.... Except you can't (easily at least) as there are safeguards so a diesel nozzle will not easily fit into a gas car. Whereas htc is making the plug identical when it is not compatible

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
HTC says to only use their charger. Qualcomm has a list on their website of what chargers are compatible with QC 3.0 devices. As a pilot, there are notes, warnings, and cautions about what you should and shouldn't do with a million dollar plane. If you don't want to follow the notes, warnings, and cautions from Qualcomm or HTC, then that's your problem. The pixel wasn't made for the HTC 10. So why use it is my point? It's not on any list. I'm only using the HTC charger or the chargers listed on the Qualcomm website. Why buy a $700 phone then try and charge it with a cheapo charger? From my understanding, everything about Nexus devices are cheap.

I'm going to buy a Benz and put a Mazda battery in it. Really?

Common sense never prevails in this forum at times.

There's nothing wrong with putting a mazda battery in a Benz(although it would look funny) , so long as it meets all the requirements. Benz would not be able to deny warranty service on the rest of the car, provided that the battery itself wasn't at fault.

While you might not , A lot of people buy third party chargers /cables. There's nothing wrong with this. Everyone is happy so long as the device and the charger follow the standards for the connector type(in this case, usb c) .

As to what htc said, they recommend theirs but they say you can use third party from reputable brands, the Pixel C would qualify as such:

"HTC has configured our Quick Charge 3.0 implementation to Qualcomm's spec."

"We always recommend that users charge with HTC's first-party chargers (including the USB-C cable). If a user opts for a third-party charger or cable, we strongly advise they purchase only from reputable brands."
http://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-addresses-usb-type-c-and-quick-charge-30-compatibility

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Reputable doesn't equate to Pixel C. Seriously? I bet 99% of people never heard of Pixel C. It's not listed anywhere in writing. So how you gathered that from the word reputable, I have no clue. I can name a bunch of reputable chargers too.

You don't work on cars. Please stick to phones and NEVER open the hood of a car ever. Just because a battery meets the requirements doesn't mean anything. The manufacturer makes recommendations for a reason. If Benz wanted a Mazda battery in their cars they would use the same supplier as Mazda. You buy a Benz for looks and quality to include parts. If you are allowing a mechanic to use a bottom basement battery in your car you probably shouldn't own a Benz. With your premise, you should take your Benz to any mechanic and that's just outright idiotic. People drive hours to have their Benz serviced by Mercedes and not a local mechanic. In the end, you get what you pay for.

Telling people to buy chargers that are not sanctioned is a slippery slope. You could potentially be the reason why someone messes up their phone. It's just extremely irresponsible of you.

This post really puts the responses into perspective. There is no such thing as a Benz battery anyway (I did chuckle at the premium part comment). They are sold by shape, CCA and post position. If those match its a "match".

I do agree with deviating from a recommendation list. But I believe in this case its more of a fear derived conclusion versus a "eh, I should be ok" conclusion. Only time will tell how things work. But this certainly does not help HTC

And reputable is a very gray word. I certainly would not be paying over 80 grand for a device that constantly has issues with its CANBUS system.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
This post really puts the responses into perspective. There is no such thing as a Benz battery anyway (I did chuckle at the premium part comment). They are sold by shape, CCA and post position. If those match its a "match".

I do agree with deviating from a recommendation list. But I believe in this case its more of a fear derived conclusion versus a "eh, I should be ok" conclusion. Only time will tell how things work. But this certainly does not help HTC

And reputable is a very gray word. I certainly would not be paying over 80 grand for a device that constantly has issues with its CANBUS system.

I did a stint, back in the day, working at a automotive battery factory. The batteries were identical until just before boxing. That's where the brand identification stickers were applied.

CJM662

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Just read this article - http://phandroid.com/2016/05/18/htc-10-usb-type-c-incident/.
"The reason for the warnings came because the spec for the USB Type-C port, “doesn’t support proprietary charging technology above 5V.” This is important in regards to the HTC 10 because the charger included with this device is not only USB Type-C 3.1, but also supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, meaning that your device is actually charging at a rate of 9V-12V, instead of the max of 5V supported by Type-C."

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
What about using battery packs. I carry a few of them just in case my devices run out of battery while on the move.

I was wondering about this too, was just about to buy a new one for this phone since I have eight days of outdoor music festivals coming up this summer.

I have been using an old HTC QC 2.0 charger with a Benson-approved Aukey A to C cable from Amazon as my spare office charger and it has been fine, although the phone does get a little warm on occasion (not very hot though).

Status
Not open for further replies.