The DAC and high-end headphones

leops1984

May 24, 2016
Visit site
How powerful is it, really? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598s, which up to now I've always connected to a Fiio amplifier for best results. Is the HTC 10's DAC good enough to power my headphones without the amp?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
How many ohms? It's the amp, not the DAC, that is driving them and HTC used a decent amp here. The 10 has no trouble pushing 60ohm cans. I even have some 600ohm Beyerdynamics that can get to adequate volume via the 10. If it can drive those, it can drive anything.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
598s are 50 ohm and open back. Most any phone will drive them. They probably sound really nice with the 10, provided you like the Sennheiser sound stage.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I hope there is a comparison between the HTC 10, LG v10, and LG g5 with the dac module for audio.

There was a 10/V10/G5 comparison on another forum. The 10 spec'd pretty much in-line with V10, with both besting the G5 rather easily. I read it a couple weeks ago and don't know where it was so you'll have to do some searching if you want to check it out. Actual listening tests are something else entirely but specs usually give an idea as to build quality and overall accuracy.

lontano

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
That's... interesting. I'm migrating from WP and deciding between the HTC 10 and the S7... I was already inclined towards the HTC, but this is an unexpected bonus - this could replace my even-older iPod classic if needed.
I compared these two devices before I bought and I can tell you, if you care about audio, this isn't a hard decision. I have been blown away by how great my HD-650's sound out of this phone. And it cost me hardly anything since I was going to buy a new phone anyway. The other assets of the S7 pale in comparison. Samsung Pay? Why wouldn't I just use the credit card I'm carrying anyway? Why would I fuss with an expensive electronic device in a checkout line? Water resistance? I've been using cell phones for well over a decade and I never damaged one due to water exposure. Better camera? The camera is plenty good and I can take more important photos in Pro Mode, save in RAW, and process them to my satisfaction. Better screen? Again, this screen is good enough, and I won't risk the burn-in issues of an AMOLED. To me the G5 has features that caused me hesitation – the wide angle camera looks like a lot of fun and the replaceable battery means the phone might last more than two years – but those happen to be lesser priorities for my use case.

I can't think of another thing a phone can do that would give me more pleasure than spectacular audio. I think once you try it, it would be hard to disagree.

Edit: Just to make it clear, the audio on the S7 isn't very good. The G5 is much better. And the 10 is far better than the G5.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I compared these two devices before I bought and I can tell you, if you care about audio, this isn't a hard decision. I have been blown away by how great my HD-650's sound out of this phone. And it cost me hardly anything since I was going to buy a new phone anyway. The other assets of the S7 pale in comparison. Samsung Pay? Why wouldn't I just use the credit card I'm carrying anyway? Why would I fuss with an expensive electronic device in a checkout line? Water resistance? I've been using cell phones for well over a decade and I never damaged one due to water exposure. Better camera? The camera is plenty good and I can take more important photos in Pro Mode, save in RAW, and process them to my satisfaction. Better screen? Again, this screen is good enough, and I won't risk the burn-in issues of an AMOLED. To me the G5 has features that caused me hesitation – the wide angle camera looks like a lot of fun and the replaceable battery means the phone might last more than two years – but those happen to be lesser priorities for my use case.

I can't think of another thing a phone can do that would give me more pleasure than spectacular audio. I think once you try it, it would be hard to disagree.

Edit: Just to make it clear, the audio on the S7 isn't very good. The G5 is much better. And the 10 is far better than the G5.

This is really only true of the Snapdragon S7 not the Exynos S7 which has a better DAC.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Not sure, will know soon when I get an International S7.

Well let us know! I'm an audiophile, which is what attracted me to HTC devices, starting with the HTC One X. Then I've had every HTC flagship since. I have always found myself wanting for something else until I got this unlocked 10 in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I also used an S6 edge for a little but quickly found it wasn't for me...

From me to you by the Power Cosmic

lontano

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
This is really only true of the Snapdragon S7 not the Exynos S7 which has a better DAC.

I doubt that. Maybe better but not that much better. No one is saying the S7 has a separate DAC and amp, and audio isn't their strength in the market so they aren't going to re-arrange the PCB and remove components to reduce interference. Samsung is all about packing lots of features into a small package. I've seen no measurements showing the S7 as anything beyond average, and phones don't get the power to drive high-impedence headphones by accident.

Posted via the Android Central App

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I think I actually read an article on Android Central about the Exynos actually having a better DAC than the SD820 version here in the states. I don't believe the article said anything about it having an amp though. I think @JerryHildenbrand would have done an audio test, as he did with the 10 vs V10, if he thought the S7 was worth the time to do so.

Digitally assigned space taken up by my Chromebook, M9, HTC 10 or Nexus 9

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
If Samsung would let me use an Exynos version I would give it a look. The Snapdragon version isn't worth it, nor is me going to Canada or spending $800 to import an Exynos one. Any test can't be fair when your own money is involved.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung would let me use an Exynos version I would give it a look. The Snapdragon version isn't worth it, nor is me going to Canada or spending $800 to import an Exynos one. Any test can't be fair when your own money is involved.

Are you sure about Canada? They have Tim Horton's up there. And the people are all so nice. Also, caribou.

Posted via the Android Central App

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I just bought Audio Technicas ATH-M50X for $90 on Amazon's deal of the day. Can't wait to try them out.

brought to you by the power of 10