Google play services eating battery again

RobDogOne

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I had that problem on my M8 when I first got it, then it mysteriously stopped. No problems on my 10 tho. Strange.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
idk what the problem is...it never drained my battery on my m8 or on my 10 so far and I listen to music pretty much the majority of the day on gpm

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Google Play Services is most of the phone. If you're doing a lot with it, or your mobile signal is weak, or a few other things, Google Play Services will use a lot of battery temporarily.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok, that makes sense. I used the trick of clearing the cache, from the M8 thread, and it seems to work, and reset whatever is causing the drain.

Google Play Services is most of the phone. If you're doing a lot with it, or your mobile signal is weak, or a few other things, Google Play Services will use a lot of battery temporarily.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I know with my M8 google play services high battery drain was related to an issue with a file on the SD card or a corrupt media file. usually it was a bad mp3. You can try taking your memory card out for a day to test that theory.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A corrupt battery file can cause the phone to keep reading the same file over and over (it gets almost to the end, then is pointed back to the beginning), and that eats a LOT of battery. Which is why media is only scanned when the phone is restarted and if you run a rescan app - scanning every time you play a song or look at a pic would kill the battery in about an hour. It shows as Google Play services sometimes, but it's really Media Scan that's causing the drain.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
How do you find that file and kill it? I don't generally listen to music on my phone. What is media scan? The deletion of cache seems to work for a while.

A corrupt battery file can cause the phone to keep reading the same file over and over (it gets almost to the end, then is pointed back to the beginning), and that eats a LOT of battery. Which is why media is only scanned when the phone is restarted and if you run a rescan app - scanning every time you play a song or look at a pic would kill the battery in about an hour. It shows as Google Play services sometimes, but it's really Media Scan that's causing the drain.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I used to have similar issues, where Google Play Services drains my battery, I then followed someone's advice to go to Settings > Applications > look for Google Play Services > Manage Storage > Clear All Data. It worked flawlessly for me and didn't affect anything else. Battery stopped draining. You may want to try at your own risks as I do not know what side effect it might cause to your phone. Good luck.

From Shuyan over on the M8 forum, and it works great!