It just started again, this time on the m10. Strange. I wonder if Google has a programming glitch?
    05-25-2016 09:14 PM
    I had that problem on my M8 when I first got it, then it mysteriously stopped. No problems on my 10 tho. Strange.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-25-2016 09:19 PM
    Yeah it's weird. I just noticed it today. It's almost like Google has some poor code.
    05-25-2016 09:23 PM
    idk what the problem is...it never drained my battery on my m8 or on my 10 so far and I listen to music pretty much the majority of the day on gpm
    05-25-2016 10:51 PM
    Google Play Services is most of the phone. If you're doing a lot with it, or your mobile signal is weak, or a few other things, Google Play Services will use a lot of battery temporarily.
    05-26-2016 12:36 AM
    Ok, that makes sense. I used the trick of clearing the cache, from the M8 thread, and it seems to work, and reset whatever is causing the drain.

Google Play Services is most of the phone. If you're doing a lot with it, or your mobile signal is weak, or a few other things, Google Play Services will use a lot of battery temporarily.
    05-26-2016 07:28 AM
    I know with my M8 google play services high battery drain was related to an issue with a file on the SD card or a corrupt media file. usually it was a bad mp3. You can try taking your memory card out for a day to test that theory.
    05-26-2016 03:31 PM
    A corrupt battery file can cause the phone to keep reading the same file over and over (it gets almost to the end, then is pointed back to the beginning), and that eats a LOT of battery. Which is why media is only scanned when the phone is restarted and if you run a rescan app - scanning every time you play a song or look at a pic would kill the battery in about an hour. It shows as Google Play services sometimes, but it's really Media Scan that's causing the drain.
    05-26-2016 03:45 PM
    How do you find that file and kill it? I don't generally listen to music on my phone. What is media scan? The deletion of cache seems to work for a while.

A corrupt battery file can cause the phone to keep reading the same file over and over (it gets almost to the end, then is pointed back to the beginning), and that eats a LOT of battery. Which is why media is only scanned when the phone is restarted and if you run a rescan app - scanning every time you play a song or look at a pic would kill the battery in about an hour. It shows as Google Play services sometimes, but it's really Media Scan that's causing the drain.
    05-27-2016 03:28 PM
    I used to have similar issues, where Google Play Services drains my battery, I then followed someone's advice to go to Settings > Applications > look for Google Play Services > Manage Storage > Clear All Data. It worked flawlessly for me and didn't affect anything else. Battery stopped draining. You may want to try at your own risks as I do not know what side effect it might cause to your phone. Good luck.
    From Shuyan over on the M8 forum, and it works great!
    ash1948 and Sonic Sunglasses like this.
    05-30-2016 04:43 PM
    I realise this is an old thread, but with the past two Play Services updates and their tendency to gobble battery life, this is a solid solution.
    11-12-2016 09:56 PM