This screen drives me insane. Send it back?

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Title without the *an* of course ;) Where do I change it? :)

Anyways, this screen is driving me insane. I see the faintest yellowish stain at the bottom. It's worse when brightness is low and seems fairly unpredictable. I know some of you have it too, but I have a hard time showing it to other people. Like people at the store who have to approve an exchange for a new device... I also have the pink. That's a lot more obvious. But it's the bottom of the screen that is really annoying me.

I did find one way to show it a little at all times. Be careful, might ruin your phone or at least how you look at it. If you pull down the notification bar with a white notification in it, you clearly see the white change as soon as you come near the bottom of the screen.

UPDATE: as pointed out below, the greying out at the bottom is part of the Android system. So not a good way to illustrate it after all... Thx Nexus_HTC_PS!

**See pictures below

Last edited:

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: This screen drives me an insane. Send it back?

I have it too! It is very faint and only noticeable on a white background, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with a refund and exchange. I'm also kind of forcing myself to not let it bother me because my OCD is very annoying! Hahaha. I think it is a pretty wide problem too.

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

I have it too! It is very faint and only noticeable on a white background, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with a refund and exchange. I'm also kind of forcing myself to not let it bother me because my OCD is very annoying! Hahaha. I think it is a pretty wide problem too.

EXACTLY! This. I was really trying to deal with it, get over it, etc. But I just can't. I keep seeing the darn thing. I have changed the settings of the display a hundred times: warmer, colder, vivid, ....ANYTHING to make it seem less obvious. And sometimes it seems to help, but then after a while I see it again and I go insane all over again ;)

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
My white notifications get greyish when they're swiped down all the way. That's natural though. It's the same way on my Nexus 9.

From me to you by the Power Cosmic

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

My white notifications get greyish when they're swiped down all the way. That's natural though. It's the same way on my Nexus 9.

Normal? It doesn't do that on the S7, S7 Edge , iPhone 6S, HTC One M8, ... Only phone I ever had it on was the One Plus One ...
It's also not just greyish on mine...It's more blurry.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Normal? It doesn't do that on the S7, S7 Edge , iPhone 6S, ... Only phone I ever had it on was the One Plus One ...
It's also not just greyish on mine...It's more blurry.

Yeah, yellow is not normal. I was saying the the grey is a natural part of the software greying out when you pull the white notification all the way to the bottom. It does this on my Nexus 9 as well. And you can't really compare Samsung and apple to the 10. The 10 is closer to stock Android than Samsung(especially with notifications). And Apple... I'll just let that one go. 😂😂😂

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, yellow is not normal. I was saying the the grey is a natural part of the software greying out when you pull the white notification all the way to the bottom. It does this on my Nexus 9 as well. And you can't really compare Samsung and apple to the 10. The 10 is closer to stock Android than Samsung(especially with notifications). And Apple... I'll just let that one go. ??????????????????

Yeah, you are right about the greying out, I think. So my trick to show it is not a good one.
But it's still blurrier at the bottom, and it's still worse than on the very old HTC M8 panel :p

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
There's a thread on XDA about this issue, and this is what someone said: "i ordered from htc unlocked, but went to a couple of verizon stores for an unrelated issue (to check out their tgsp). both htc 10s at the stores had the off-white on the bottom when i went into settings and selected automatic brightness. point is that of the three that i've held in my hand, they've all had the issue. so that and the fact that one or two people tops in this thread have not reported this as a problem leads me to believe that you may be looking at getting numerous replacements."

Anyone eith yellow tint at bottom of display… | HTC 10

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
There's a thread on XDA about this issue, and this is what someone said: "i ordered from htc unlocked, but went to a couple of verizon stores for an unrelated issue (to check out their tgsp). both htc 10s at the stores had the off-white on the bottom when i went into settings and selected automatic brightness. point is that of the three that i've held in my hand, they've all had the issue. so that and the fact that one or two people tops in this thread have not reported this as a problem leads me to believe that you may be looking at getting numerous replacements."

Anyone eith yellow tint at bottom of display… | HTC 10

I'm dreading it too. Or worse: what is my replacement is worse?

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Well to answer your "send it back?" question I would say yes. It sounds like you're not happy with it and can't look past it so it will just carry on driving you insane. Send it back and hopefully you will get a replacement that you're happy with

Posted via the Android Central App

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! Some other guy had another issue with another phone and went through FIVE REPLACEMENTS! I just can't be that person. Hahaha. For me, it's literally only noticeable at certain angles and when the screen is white, but even a grey screen makes it disappear.

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Well to answer your "send it back?" question I would say yes. It sounds like you're not happy with it and can't look past it so it will just carry on driving you insane. Send it back and hopefully you will get a replacement that you're happy with

Posted via the Android Central App

Yeah, now I just have to find a way to show the store what I mean :) It's so subtle at times...
Trying to figure out when it's the most pronounced

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd just open a blank page in your internet browser. The HTC internet browser is great to show it because it will give you a completely blank white page if you type in the address "about:blank".

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's a lot worse than mine. :'( If mine were like that, I'd definitely think about exchanging. Mine's only on the bottom and a lot less noticeable.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Part of me thinks it's just a function of the panel lighting, and every phone might have it to a certain degree. I'd imagine most people aren't as OCD as everyone on this forum and wouldn't even notice it or think about it! Hahaha.

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Part of me thinks it's just a function of the panel lighting, and every phone might have it to a certain degree. I'd imagine most people aren't as OCD as everyone on this forum and wouldn't even notice it or think about it! Hahaha.

Yeah , that's what I thought for a couple of days too. Maybe something typical for LCD. But then I put it next to the M8 , a lot older phone, and it didn't have it! Then next to iPhone. Also nothing. Only other phone I ever noticed this on was the One Plus One...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power