07-06-2016 06:41 PM
50 12
tools
    Ok, what works better? Hangouts? Google Messenger? Or the HTC Messenger? I really don't like the look and feel of the new SMS/MMS apps. I don't trust third party for some reason, of these three which would be the suggested app?
    05-30-2016 03:35 PM
    100% preference based answers will follow ☺️.... But I use hangouts for the sake of having my sms & google voice messages in the same inbox.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Cameronj86 likes this.
    05-30-2016 04:13 PM
    How does Hangouts handle MMS?
    05-30-2016 04:24 PM
    I like the HTC messager

05-30-2016 04:33 PM
    I use Hangouts SMS, for convenience since I use Hangouts a lot.
    05-30-2016 04:49 PM
    Personally I use Hangouts to chat with friends and Textra as my go to messaging app. Best $0.99 I've ever spent.

ladyfinesse08 and Hypeo like this.
    05-30-2016 05:01 PM
    I've never been able to figure out why people need something other than the stock texting app. In 10+ years of texting I've never had one give me any trouble.
    05-30-2016 05:49 PM
    I've never been able to figure out why people need something other than the stock texting app. In 10+ years of texting I've never had one give me any trouble.
    Depends on needs. I get a lot of use out of textra and it's time sending.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-30-2016 06:16 PM
    I use messenger for texting and hangouts for other stuff
    05-30-2016 08:09 PM
    I run Handcent, always have. Been thinking of using Textra and trying it out more than I did last time, see if I like it any better this go around.

And I have never liked stock apps on htc phones really, I like having more customization. To be fair I havent messed with the 10s app so dont know if its any better.
    05-30-2016 09:14 PM
    I used the default messenger app for a while but ended up going back to textra bc it just simply does more... I only use hangouts for video calls
    05-30-2016 09:16 PM
    I have been using textra but haven't tried out the stock messaging app.
    05-30-2016 09:43 PM
    It's all about personal preference. Be together, not the same.
    isdaako, markdoc and msummerour like this.
    05-30-2016 10:49 PM
    It's all about personal preference. Be together, not the same.
    I'm not talking about that. I'm saying that I don't understand why people use other messaging apps since they all seem like the same basic thing to me. I'm guessing there must be some features that I don't use that others enjoy.
    05-30-2016 11:09 PM
    I'm not talking about that. I'm saying that I don't understand why people use other messaging apps since they all seem like the same basic thing to me. I'm guessing there must be some features that I don't use that others enjoy.
    I was fine with the default app until I noticed it didn't allow me to reply with my watch and it doesn't show gifs properly... other than that the default app worked just fine for me
    05-30-2016 11:56 PM
    Yep there are. Customization, time texts, control if screen wakes up, etc. etc.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-31-2016 12:20 AM
    I use Hangouts because I've got a few friends that use the IM hangouts feature and everyone else uses SMS.

I personally dislike the Hangouts app though. I have no idea why I have to choose between a Hangouts message and an SMS message before I send a text.

I wish Google made something that functioned like iMessage. And I don't see the point of this 'Allo' messenger as well. It's just another texting app, so what happens to Google Messenger and Hangouts now?
    05-31-2016 12:23 AM
    These Three are best apps and used by users around the world with different mindsets and usages.
    For Example:
    [LIST=1][*]Messenger is what you find on Facebook, Though its approach is 50x times different but as compared to hangout, it is not proper messaging app
    [LIST=1][*]Then Hangout is what it looks like a proper messenger that could be used for professional purposes as well but its interface, in my opinion is not that type of, Cox Users look for something catchy and classy.
    [LIST=1][*]HTC app is doing good but it is limited..

I vote for none of them as best app, because these three are very best apps for smartphones. Use any of them of your choice.
    Thanks
    05-31-2016 01:26 AM
    I was fine with the default app until I noticed it didn't allow me to reply with my watch and it doesn't show gifs properly... other than that the default app worked just fine for me
    Thx for the info. That's all stuff I wouldn't have noticed but it's nice to know it's available.
    05-31-2016 03:14 AM
    I'm waiting for the new allo app and then make my decission

nokia4life likes this.
    05-31-2016 05:39 AM
    Is HTC messenger Touchpal or a reference to some prior version of HTC's messaging?
    05-31-2016 08:36 AM
    [LIST=1][*]Messenger is what you find on Facebook, Though its approach is 50x times different but as compared to hangout, it is not proper messaging app
    OP stated Google Messenger, not Facebook Messenger ...
    Google Messenger gets the nod from me ...
    05-31-2016 10:12 AM
    One thing I really like about Textra over the stock app is the customization. I love that I can change the colors of the icon itself and the look of the app. Didn't really like how Google seems to make all of my text message contacts random colors. I mean, it's not that serious but I appreciate the unity that Textra brings to the table. I'm used to that look coming from Windows Phone and iOS (it's either green or blue).
    Almeuit likes this.
    05-31-2016 10:58 AM
    Depends on needs. I get a lot of use out of textra and it's time sending.
    What exactly does Textra do that the regular messaging app can't. I myself wonder as well, I have used many devices and never went outside of either hangouts or just the regular app since MMS and SMS can be handled by the stock apps. I can send pictures, videos, and gif's using regular app or hangouts does Textra do something else outside of this that is miles above what google or the phone manufacture provides? Thanks in advance..
    05-31-2016 01:47 PM
    Can't speak for the other two, but Hangouts seems to be a pretty solid messaging system - just started using it; and I like that you can see when messages have been seen (even in group conversations!), and you can even see when someone is typing a response to you. Plus, similar to BBM, people send you invitations and you can pick and choose whether or not to accept (granted, Facebook Messenger has this option too for non-friends). I'd be interested in seeing how HTC Messenger stacks up against the rest.
    05-31-2016 02:10 PM
50 12