Google Not Backing Up Photos

juwster

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the HTC 10. I get a pop-up notification every day from google photos stating that 1097 photos have not been backed up to check settings and update storage.

These are the specifics:

Back up & Sync: On
Backup Account:
154 GB of 216 GB left
Breakdown of storage used:
Drive: 9.91 GB
Gmail: 6.91 GB
Google Photos: 44.43 GB

My Plan: 15 GB
Bonus: 1 GB
HTC Promotion: 100 GB exp: 05/12/18
HTC Promotion: 100 GB exp: 03/28/17

Upload Size:
High Quality (free unlimited storage)

Cellular date back

Photos: On
Videos: On

When to back up:
While charging only: Off
Roaming: Off

I have to back up the photos manually.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moved to the HTC 10 forum. When you open Google Photos and go to Settings>Backup & Sync>Backup Photos, is it set to "Over Wi-Fi or use cellular network," or "Over Wi-Fi only"? Make sure it's set to the former (if you're not on wi-fi).

mahers

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue on my previous phone (Droid Turbo), and it is still popping up on my 10. My wife has a 2014 Moto X, and despite having the same exact settings, hers works just fine. I have tried so many things, it's quite annoying when it doesn't work. I think the only difference between your settings and mine is I have it set to backup over wifi only, while charging, which should be every night while I sleep, but it just won't work. As I type this, I think I may try to uncheck the "only while charging" but keep it to back up over wifi only.

juwster

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Moved to the HTC 10 forum. When you open Google Photos and go to Settings>Backup & Sync>Backup Photos, is it set to "Over Wi-Fi or use cellular network," or "Over Wi-Fi only"? Make sure it's set to the former (if you're not on wi-fi).

There is not an option for a setting "Over WI-FI or use Cellular Network" specifically. However, there is "Cellular Data Back-Up" and under that the options to back up Photos, checked off on mine, and Videos, checked off on mine as well.

The other option is "When to Back-Up"
"While charging only" - not checked on mine
"Roaming" - not checked on mine

juwster

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue on my previous phone (Droid Turbo), and it is still popping up on my 10. My wife has a 2014 Moto X, and despite having the same exact settings, hers works just fine. I have tried so many things, it's quite annoying when it doesn't work. I think the only difference between your settings and mine is I have it set to backup over wifi only, while charging, which should be every night while I sleep, but it just won't work. As I type this, I think I may try to uncheck the "only while charging" but keep it to back up over wifi only.

I agree, it is very annoying. Although the photos are going to my SD Card the card could fail or I could lose my phone. Since this phone is geared to use Google Photos why is it not backing up the photos?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Very odd. I checked Google Photos on my non-Nexus devices (ASUS ZenFone 2 and Honor 5X), and they both have the same settings as my 6P. Could you show us a screenshot of your Google Photos settings menu?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oops, I forgot to caution you against making your email address visible--for your privacy, you may want to delete that post and re-post with an edited image.

I'm still scratching my head a bit. Here's the screenshot from my Nexus 6P:

Screenshot_20160604-123340.jpg

If I tap Back Up Photos, that's where I can choose between wi-fi only and wi-fi/mobile data.

I wonder if you have some kind of HTC-modified version of Photos. If you go to the Play Store and look for Google Photos, does it show that it's installed?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Mod note: removed a photo containing personal email address. OP, you may report the screenshot after editing out your email.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You could try this. Go to settings - accounts - Google - select account - make sure Google photos backup is on. If it's already on switch it off and back on and see what happens. Make sure you're connected to WiFi, just in case there's a problem with syncing over mobile data.

juwster

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
You could try this. Go to settings - accounts - Google - select account - make sure Google photos backup is on. If it's already on switch it off and back on and see what happens. Make sure you're connected to WiFi, just in case there's a problem with syncing over mobile data.

Google Photos Backup was on, however, I did these steps anyway. Strangely enough, when I looked "Google Photos Backup" stated Last synced Sat Jun 4, 2016 8:26pm. When I looked from my laptop only two of the photos I took today were there and none of the ones I took yesterday.

juwster

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Oops, I forgot to caution you against making your email address visible--for your privacy, you may want to delete that post and re-post with an edited image.

I'm still scratching my head a bit. Here's the screenshot from my Nexus 6P:

View attachment 229311

If I tap Back Up Photos, that's where I can choose between wi-fi only and wi-fi/mobile data.

I wonder if you have some kind of HTC-modified version of Photos. If you go to the Play Store and look for Google Photos, does it show that it's installed?

From the Play Store it shows that Google Photos is installed. I had uninstalled it earlier and reinstalled it thinking that might help the issue. I am wondering if I may have to do a total reset of my phone. Although, I am not even sure that would work.

mahers

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Weird. My screen looks like the one B. Diddy posted. Yours looks much different, @Juwster. In the past, I have uninstalled Photos, removed updates on Google Play Services, then reinstalled Photos and updated GPS, and it worked...for a day or two, but then back to the glitch. I even tried to manually update them while I was on wifi over the weekend, but it just drains the battery and the photos don't get backed up. I just gave up, but will be monitoring this thread to see if there is a solution.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Weird. My screen looks like the one B. Diddy posted. Yours looks much different, @Juwster. In the past, I have uninstalled Photos, removed updates on Google Play Services, then reinstalled Photos and updated GPS, and it worked...for a day or two, but then back to the glitch. I even tried to manually update them while I was on wifi over the weekend, but it just drains the battery and the photos don't get backed up. I just gave up, but will be monitoring this thread to see if there is a solution.

Go into the system settings and remove your Google account. Add it back and see if that helps fox the problem.

mahers

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Go into the system settings and remove your Google account. Add it back and see if that helps fox the problem.

Thanks, but I don't feel that re-establishing all my Google account stuff is worth the trouble for this dumb photo backup. Great in concept, but I'm not going to sweat it unless there is an easy fix.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done it recently, but I think removing your Google account and then adding it back again is fairly straightforward, and doesn't require anything else from you besides waiting for your data to re-sync.

juwster

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I have no idea why mine looks different. This is so odd! I have just about had it with this irritating glitch. However, I hate to give up on a challenge. I want it to work.

juwster

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I may try this and see if it works. At least for now I am backing them up to Onedrive. I don't necessarily like Onedrive, but at least it automatically backs up, so for now, it works.