I never noticed this before until today I was trying to email a photo and I was prompted if I wanna do it using the Gmail app or the Mail app.

What is the use of the latter? Does it allow deleting of emails? The reason I ask is because on my iPhone, the default iOS mail app has no delete option only archive so I had to use the Gmail app

What are the benefits of using the built in mail app vs the Gmail app?

I don't want to use two just the better one
    06-12-2016 03:31 PM
    I can't remember what the HTC one is like. I've been using Gmail for so long that it's just my go to.

Like a lot of other things, it may not be which is better, just which one do you prefer. With a basic app like this, I would try to come up with a list of things you want it to do. If it doesn't have most of the things you want, it's ok to not use it.
    06-12-2016 03:39 PM
    I can't remember what the HTC one is like. I've been using Gmail for so long that it's just my go to.

Like a lot of other things, it may not be which is better, just which one do you prefer. With a basic app like this, I would try to come up with a list of things you want it to do. If it doesn't have most of the things you want, it's ok to not use it.
    right, so I guess the best thing is to just try it
    06-12-2016 03:44 PM
    The default iOS mail app has the option to delete emails, see below:

And the benefits of the stock email app is that it handles your emails without having to download 15 different apps.

Oh and it doesn't have adds, unlike Gmail.
    Snappy Phoenix and LordLugard like this.
    06-12-2016 03:48 PM
    The default iOS mail app has the option to delete emails, see below:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...98b0e5cc79.jpg

And the benefits of the stock email app is that it handles your emails without having to download 15 different apps.

Oh and it doesn't have adds, unlike Gmail.
    ohh never knew that about the iOS app, stupid me, I'm an iOS n00bie after all.

I just disabled the Gmail app and now using the stock mail app. I configured it to check for emails every 5 mins during peak hours.

I'm confused though, what is SmartSync? is that like push email? If it is then I think that would be better than manually having it check for emails every 5 mins right? I want the least battery usage while still getting emails relatively fast.
    06-12-2016 03:58 PM
    ohh never knew that about the iOS app, stupid me, I'm an iOS n00bie after all.

I just disabled the Gmail app and now using the stock mail app. I configured it to check for emails every 5 mins during peak hours.

I'm confused though, what is SmartSync? is that like push email? If it is then I think that would be better than manually having it check for emails every 5 mins right? I want the least battery usage while still getting emails relatively fast.
    That's a very good question.. I really have no idea as I've never used it. Someone else will have to answer that, sorry
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    06-12-2016 06:30 PM
    I've used the HTC mail app and it's great and I prefer over gmail. I think one of the benefits is that the HTC app auto resizes the text if you zoom in to fit the page so you don't have to pan left and right to read the email. I'm using a Note 4 now and it too has its own email app but the text doesn't auto fit the page if enlarged.

Also I had both my Gmail and work outlook email in the same HTC mail app (although Gmail app can also have multiple email accounts).

Posted via the Android Central App
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    06-12-2016 07:39 PM
    I never noticed this before until today I was trying to email a photo and I was prompted if I wanna do it using the Gmail app or the Mail app.

What is the use of the latter? Does it allow deleting of emails? The reason I ask is because on my iPhone, the default iOS mail app has no delete option only archive so I had to use the Gmail app

What are the benefits of using the built in mail app vs the Gmail app?

I don't want to use two just the better one
    I don't like mixing my private email with my corporate email so I use Gmail for my personal email and the HTC app for my corporate Exchange email. Works well.

Posted via the 10
    06-13-2016 01:47 PM
    How do you access the HTC mail app? I can't see it as an option when I'm trying to email a pic.
    06-13-2016 02:06 PM
    I stopped using the mail app because when I receive an email, it appears twice in the mail app so I went back to the Gmail app
    06-13-2016 02:37 PM
    How do you access the HTC mail app? I can't see it as an option when I'm trying to email a pic.
    It shows up on mine - the last option; a red envelope with "Mail" under it.

Posted via the 10
    06-14-2016 08:01 AM
    I've always used it on all of my HTC phones over the years. It works well. You can customize your signature. I have my corporate account and personal account all in one place. Easy to send pictures or any attachment with. You can control how much it checks for mail or just use it's smart auto settings. It's always been a great app.
    06-14-2016 10:42 AM
    I use three different mail apps on mine - Gmail, Outlook.com, and the HTC one. (I use different apps for different mail services.) I actually like the simplicity and cleanliness of the HTC app the best, although obviously you have to go without the sorting features of both Outlook and Gmail. But for accounts that don't drown in large amounts of mail, it's a great choice.
    06-14-2016 11:24 AM
    I use three different mail apps on mine - Gmail, Outlook.com, and the HTC one. (I use different apps for different mail services.) I actually like the simplicity and cleanliness of the HTC app the best, although obviously you have to go without the sorting features of both Outlook and Gmail. But for accounts that don't drown in large amounts of mail, it's a great choice.
    so why am I getting double emails for each email I receive?
    06-14-2016 11:29 AM
    so why am I getting double emails for each email I receive?
    Take a look at your accounts and see if you have it set up twice. I use the stock app for 3 of my emails and gmail for the 4 gma]ls I have and I don't get that issue with any of them. I generaly like the stock app a lot. It's never failed me whereas the gmail app was erratic on my M8.
    06-14-2016 01:25 PM
    Smart Sync is apparently the "learning sync" with the interval based on how often the emails arrive, how often you open it and what is your battery level. I use it for my non gmail email accounts and use Nine for corporate email.
    06-15-2016 05:36 AM
    Smart Sync is apparently the "learning sync" with the interval based on how often the emails arrive, how often you open it and what is your battery level. I use it for my non gmail email accounts and use Nine for corporate email.
    06-15-2016 07:20 AM
    Some corporate email systems (like mine) require the stock email app for security.

I am coming from the Droid Turbo and like the HTC 10, but I do have a couple issues with the email app over the Moto Stock.
    1) When I read an email in the moto app, it shows as read in my outlook email as well. Not so with the HTC app.
    2) On my Android Wear watch, the email from the Moto app shows sender and message, for some reason HTC only shows message, no sender. This makes it less useful to quickly see if I need to act on an email or not.

I tried taking the .apk from the Droid Turbo and installing it on the HTC, but it would not install - I think Moto has locked it down to their devices. Does anyone know a way around this?
    06-23-2016 11:36 AM
    I haven't tried it on my HTC 10 but on my HTC M7, you could change the setting to have it sync to your mail. For instance if you read an email on your app or deleted it, it'll show up as such on outlook on your computer.
    06-23-2016 01:06 PM
    *UPDATE* it does mark as read, it just takes a while to show up, unlike the Moto where is is near instant.
    06-23-2016 01:20 PM
    I just removed the YAHOO! app, and went back to the HTC app since I got tired of Yahoo telling me to meet single girls in my area (I'm married for 27+ years and don't want or need to meet singles). I had forgotten about the HTC app. Thanks!
    06-24-2016 09:23 AM
    I'm an avid user of the outlook app. After coming across this thread I decided to give the HTC app a go. It's really good, sure it doesn't have a focused inbox for items I want to see first. What it does have is a tab for unread messages. Which for me has always been something I have wanted out of a mail app. Makes it so much easier to see all your unread messages without scrolling your inbox/s.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-26-2016 08:59 PM
    Dropped the Yahoo app since I got tired of being sent ads to meet girls! So I got a nasty email from Yahoo that my mail app was not secure, and I needed to come back to the Yahoo app! I am happy with HTC since I get no ads, or annoyances.
    07-10-2016 03:30 PM