My HTC 10, S7 edge, Nexus 6P and iPhone 6s Plus Comparison (yup)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
While I didn't get any speed enhancements I definitely noticed that fewer apps are being taken out of memory. Before my apps would reload relatively quickly as a result of Samsung's aggressive memory management. Now, it only happens every now and then. I never viewed Nova Launcher as being memory intensive and I didn't even activate the aggressive desktop/memory mode. But it seems it takes enough memory from the edge to force other apps to close more often. I suppose the s7 is at least prioritizing the launcher over other apps (good) because I never had issues with launcher performance or reloads.

Just curious--when you had Nova installed, was TouchWiz Launcher still showing up in Running Apps, as a cached or background app? If so, can you try disabling TouchWiz? I don't have direct access to an S7, so I'm not sure if this is possible in the first place, but just thought I'd suggest it.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Couple More Days, Couple More Updates

So, the Nexus 6P has been taken off the table as an option for me. While I appreciate the no-nonsense, pure Android experience, it also has a lot of drawbacks for me. Too many standard software features missing that are on every other android smartphone that simply just kill the experience. Having to add extra apps to do/show basic things just bogs down the experience. It's nice to be able to do so much to a device, but it also becomes annoying when you have to do "too much" to a device just to make it functional/convenient. I will say, though, that after looking at Android N many of my gripes are being addressed directly by Google. As such, I'll likely be testing out the next Nexus with Android N when it's released.

Why not try the N Beta on the 6P? I'm running it and preview 4 has been very stable and even better battery life than MM for me anyways.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
LOL yeah bought it at best buy yesterday. Just to try out N and I'm really loving it!

Haha. You and I need help! I'm looking at one again. I want to go back to Android and I think Nexus is really the only way for me to go. May snag one on Amazon.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Haha. You and I need help! I'm looking at one again. I want to go back to Android and I think Nexus is really the only way for me to go. May snag one on Amazon.
Cereal! I'm going to return this phone but I'm definitely looking forward to the new Nexus phones even more now.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Just curious--when you had Nova installed, was TouchWiz Launcher still showing up in Running Apps, as a cached or background app? If so, can you try disabling TouchWiz? I don't have direct access to an S7, so I'm not sure if this is possible in the first place, but just thought I'd suggest it.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated!

Touchwiz never came up when I had Nova Launcher installed. I'm assuming you mean like if Nova Launcher was shut down and I saw the stock Touchwiz launcher, right? If so that never happened.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Why not try the N Beta on the 6P? I'm running it and preview 4 has been very stable and even better battery life than MM for me anyways.

Didn't even think of that
But from what I've seen in videos for Android N though they have addressed many of my concerns. My issue with the 6P is I wasn't impressed with the camera.

I'm hoping this will be the year that google can start at least matching OEM in camera. Software seems to be on par with Android N.

Many of the N features are stolen straight from Samsung's playbook. Makes me wonder if they are (a) trying to compete more aggressively or (b) stop Samsung from going all in on Tizen by having many Touchwiz features baked into the OS, which would help Samsung devices perform better (one less customization layer) and speed up software updates for Samsung at the same time. After all, Samsung is their most successful Android OEM. Either way it's a win for Nexus and potentially future Samsung smart phones

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Touchwiz never came up when I had Nova Launcher installed. I'm assuming you mean like if Nova Launcher was shut down and I saw the stock Touchwiz launcher, right? If so that never happened.

No, I mean if you were to look in the Settings>Apps>Running list (or whichever menu that can be found in on the S7 edge), which shows which apps are currently open in RAM.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Didn't even think of that
But from what I've seen in videos for Android N though they have addressed many of my concerns. My issue with the 6P is I wasn't impressed with the camera.

I'm hoping this will be the year that google can start at least matching OEM in camera. Software seems to be on par with Android N.

Many of the N features are stolen straight from Samsung's playbook. Makes me wonder if they are (a) trying to compete more aggressively or (b) stop Samsung from going all in on Tizen by having many Touchwiz features baked into the OS, which would help Samsung devices perform better (one less customization layer) and speed up software updates for Samsung at the same time. After all, Samsung is their most successful Android OEM. Either way it's a win for Nexus and potentially future Samsung smart phones

They want to keep Android camp a diversified camp, not a Samsung camp. So by adding Samsung features into Android code base, they are helping other Android phone makers to catch up a little bit with Samsung.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool