HTC 10 teething problems

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if these have been asked already...

1. How do I turn off the screen while charging? I have already turned off "Stay Awake" and "Daydreaming"

2. Touchpal Curve not working for English (UK) and also no arrow keys, so I've had to install GO Keyboard. Did I miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
For the 2nd one, press the little hand icon in under upper left of your keyboard, long-press the <I> character and when it starts shaking, tap it to place it in the top bar of the keyboard. Now, when you need the arrow keys, you just tap that <I> icon at the top of your keyboard.

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for the tip! I tried that, got the <I> in the right place and was able to tap it while typing to bring up the arrows. Unfortunately as I carry on typing the predictive text/word bar is displayed over the place where the <I> is and I can't get to it any more.

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
No I didn't reboot, I'm doing that now. The screen turned off (finally!) after about an hour at ~85% charge. In Display, Gestures and Buttons my screen timeout is set to 1 minute. I'll see what happens when I charge again now that I've rebooted! Thanks for the suggestion :)

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for the tip! I tried that, got the <I> in the right place and was able to tap it while typing to bring up the arrows. Unfortunately as I carry on typing the predictive text/word bar is displayed over the place where the <I> is and I can't get to it any more.

Once you select your word, the arrow icon will be there again. If you'd have too many icons cluttering the bar, take a few away. The only one I have displaying is the arrow. Now, I don't use predictive "next word" or sentence, those might be giving you problems.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
No I didn't reboot, I'm doing that now. The screen turned off (finally!) after about an hour at ~85% charge. In Display, Gestures and Buttons my screen timeout is set to 1 minute. I'll see what happens when I charge again now that I've rebooted! Thanks for the suggestion :)

No prob!!! Hope it works!

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Once you select your word, the arrow icon will be there again. If you'd have too many icons cluttering the bar, take a few away. The only one I have displaying is the arrow. Now, I don't use predictive "next word" or sentence, those might be giving you problems.

Yes but I want the predictive next word stuff as well... I don't know why they have botched the keyboard so completely, my M7 was beautiful (until I cluttered up my dictionary with all my own words :p). Why why why does Curve not work on languages other than US-English?! Why do arrows get hidden by other stuff? The screen is huge, they had plenty of real estate to work with. I'm a huge HTC fan but stuff like this makes me hate them sometimes :-[ I guess I need to wait for the keyboard apps to catch up to this version, most of them like Swype don't work on the m10 yet

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes but I want the predictive next word stuff as well... I don't know why they have botched the keyboard so completely, my M7 was beautiful (until I cluttered up my dictionary with all my own words :p). Why why why does Curve not work on languages other than US-English?! Why do arrows get hidden by other stuff? The screen is huge, they had plenty of real estate to work with. I'm a huge HTC fan but stuff like this makes me hate them sometimes :-[ I guess I need to wait for the keyboard apps to catch up to this version, most of them like Swype don't work on the m10 yet

That's TouchPal, not HTC. It's a premium keyboard that people pay money for. I happen to like it, in fact it's my favorite, but it goes to show you that you can't please them all.

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
That's TouchPal, not HTC. It's a premium keyboard that people pay money for. I happen to like it, in fact it's my favorite, but it goes to show you that you can't please them all.

I thought it was an HTC-specific problem? See https://plus.google.com/communities/105746648636072214666
"Try go to setting-language, and choose to update the language.
The HTC version only built-in the basic language packs without curve support. So you'll need to update them to get curve work.
We are working with HTC to make this easier for users."

That was in reply to Steve Gundill who posted on 9 May 2016

If I switch to English US then Curve works but it doesn't for English UK. Touchpal came installed on my m10 out the box, it's HTC's default keyboard apparently, not premium...

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I searched and searched to find a keyboard with arrows and couldnt find anything except a few that a 6 year old would use. I too use predictive text so the above is cute but useless. The screen doesnt recognize my fingers well so that whole tap to insert and only backspace doesnt go over great.

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I searched and searched to find a keyboard with arrows and couldnt find anything except a few that a 6 year old would use. I too use predictive text so the above is cute but useless. The screen doesnt recognize my fingers well so that whole tap to insert and only backspace doesnt go over great.

Yeah I'm using GO Keyboard for now but had to pay to make the ads go away >:-( the swype functionality is not nearly as good as the HTC Sense keyboard I had on my old m7. But I have arrows \o/

Just wish I could get these 'basics' out the box without having to buy an app for it - I really thought I missed a few settings but I guess not

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Google's Keyboard now allowed you to slide across the space-bar to move the cursor left/right. I find it a tidy alternative to arrows.

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Google's Keyboard now allowed you to slide across the space-bar to move the cursor left/right. I find it a tidy alternative to arrows.

Ah! I didn't know it did that! Thank you, that's probably a better option than go keyboard, which is doing crazy things with predictive text ands spacing... Will give it a whirl for a few days :)

ruslah

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Although I don't have them turned on at the moment, SwiftKey has an option to turn on arrows. I've tried a few different keyboards over my years, but SwiftKey blows everything away.

funb

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Although I don't have them turned on at the moment, SwiftKey has an option to turn on arrows. I've tried a few different keyboards over my years, but SwiftKey blows everything away.

Thank you! I will give that a try as well :)

Back to the battery/screen/charging thing - I can now confirm the screen only switches off once the phone has charged to 85%. How bizarre! It must be a setting somewhere, I'll keep digging...

mahers

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

SwiftKey has phenomenal predictions, customizable keyboards, swipe to type, and arrows if you desire. Best keyboard on the market!