HTC 10 more fragile than previous HTCs?

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Last week, I received an HTC 10 as an insurance replacement for my M9 since Asurion no longer had any M9s. Honestly wasn't entirely thrilled because from playing with the 10 in stores, it felt too big for my small hands. After a few days with it I started getting comfortable and was happy with it enough to by a case for it. Well, this weekend it took its first tumble from about a foot off the ground into dirt, with the case on. And cracked the screen... None of my previous HTC phones would've done that, so I was shocked! Of course, insurance wants another $150 deductible to replace it and HTC wants $200 to repair it. I don't even want another one if they're this easy to break! Anyone think this HTC is more fragile? Seriously thinking about paying for the replacement and then selling it to recoup some of my costs and buying a Samsung. This was one of my main factors in staying with HTC, their durability. But, appears that's no longer true.

Posted via the Android Central App

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Last week, I received an HTC 10 as an insurance replacement for my M9 since Asurion no longer had any M9s. Honestly wasn't entirely thrilled because from playing with the 10 in stores, it felt too big for my small hands. After a few days with it I started getting comfortable and was happy with it enough to by a case for it. Well, this weekend it took its first tumble from about a foot off the ground into dirt, with the case on. And cracked the screen... None of my previous HTC phones would've done that, so I was shocked! Of course, insurance wants another $150 deductible to replace it and HTC wants $200 to repair it. I don't even want another one if they're this easy to break! Anyone think this HTC is more fragile? Seriously thinking about paying for the replacement and then selling it to recoup some of my costs.

i don't think it's any more fragile than older HTC's. It just takes the right angle to crack the screen with a case on any phone. I've dropped my M 10 on concrete from pocket level and the case saved it. In your case, I'm afraid it was just bad luck....

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
My s7 edge fell from around 3 feet flat on the screen with my lumia 950 top of it adding more force and weight..it made a Loud sound..i though sure my screen cracked...but to my luck nothing happened...
I guess its and angel your phones lands in

Posted via my Awesome Lumia 950 , Beautiful S7 Edge Gold or Surface pro 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you want a screen that won't shatter then go with the z force. It will come with a guarantee that the screen won't shatter , or they will replace it for free

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
My s7 edge fell from around 3 feet flat on the screen with my lumia 950 top of it adding more force and weight..it made a Loud sound..i though sure my screen cracked...but to my luck nothing happened...
I guess its and angel your phones lands in

Posted via my Awesome Lumia 950 , Beautiful S7 Edge Gold or Surface pro 4

That's it. I am going with s7e.... but the boom sound and the software update though... and that fingerprint sensor...

Can't decide. Maybe I am just going to grab a BlackBerry Priv and be done with it.

Posted via Android Central App

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't understand why people assume a certain phone is weaker than an older one just because the screen cracks on a drop... Why isn't the users conclusion "I guess it hit a bad angle that time"

It's glass people... It will still crack... Less likely with newer advancements but not impossible.... Wouldn't you think that if a phone had unbreakable glass that they would advertise it?

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Because every previous HTC phone I've had survived multiple drops from all heights and angles. After great experiences with the Incredible, the DNA and the M9s durability, this one broke on the very first short drop onto dirt with the case on. Maybe just bad luck and maybe since the glass comes to the edge of the phone more than previous versions, it's more susceptible to breaking. But after bragging to my friends who have S7s about what a great, tough phone htc makes, I now have to eat my words.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
My buddy just dropped his S7e yesterday. From his couch to the plush carpet below it and the entire back looks like the windshield from a fatal traffic collision. He was told it would be about $50 to fix it. But the tiny crack that showed up in the upper right corner (that affects nothing but the aesthetics) will cost about $300 more and almost makes it cost prohibitive, as he doesn't have insurance. At the end of the day, it's always a crap shoot with glass.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Because every previous HTC phone I've had survived multiple drops from all heights and angles. After great experiences with the Incredible, the DNA and the M9s durability, this one broke on the very first short drop onto dirt with the case on. Maybe just bad luck and maybe since the glass comes to the edge of the phone more than previous versions, it's more susceptible to breaking. But after bragging to my friends who have S7s about what a great, tough phone htc makes, I now have to eat my words.

I would never go with a "this old phone didn't so this one won't" mentality unless it is said to be shatter proof (like the Droid Turbo) or something stronger (like the S7 Active). Phones aren't really meant to take constant drops and all it takes is one good angle hit to cause a shatter.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I would never go with a "this old phone didn't so this one won't" mentality unless it is said to be shatter proof (like the Droid Turbo) or something stronger (like the S7 Active). Phones aren't really meant to take constant drops and all it takes is one good angle hit to cause a shatter.

Pretty much. He could have had that drop a bunch of other ways and been just fine, but each phone has that perfect spot it can land and do maximum damage. You could take a S7 and drop it 10 times and nothing happen luckily, or someone else could take it and drop it once and somehow they get busted screen and phone no longer works. Luck plays alot of it when dropping any phone. Build quality wont save the "perfectly" bad drop.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
It all comes down to the phone unfortunately landing in just the right spot. For your situation I can guarantee the 9 others have dropped theirs and not had the screen break. It's just crap luck this time around.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

lol, that's what I was thinking. If breakage is a concern than getting an all-glass phone couldn't be more counter-productive. I was shocked that my 10's screen cracked because I've never had that in 7 years of owning smartphones and dozens of drops. However, I know not to make false assumptions because I've seen the drop tests and have heard from others online. The 10 is rugged and actually more scratch-resistant than the M8 from what I'm finding. Like in the video, mine still works with a spiderwebbed screen and I've used it like this for 2 weeks while I wait for HTC to send me a replacement that functions correctly.

If you don't want to pay for repair or replacement, cases, protectors, skins, are pretty inexpensive. The metal on HTC phones is extremely rugged and bends before it cracks. So, if you protect the glass, that's really all you need to prevent functional damage.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I can understand your frustration I have all at all HTC phones and made me drop my phone for answer twice I have had a case and I have had screen protectors. I had a glass tempered glass protector and drop my phone the tempered glass protektor broke but my phone was fine so I just bought a pretty good scripture that's only 6.95 off of Amazon and bought like 3.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so.

Gorilla Glass 4 isn't exactly wonderful when it comes to shatter-resistance. It's stronger than regular glass, but drop it onto a coarse surface, and there will be some damage.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so.

Gorilla Glass 4 isn't exactly wonderful when it comes to shatter-resistance. It's stronger than regular glass, but drop it onto a coarse surface, and there will be some damage.

Agreed.

Slightly off-topic .. What phone are you using now a days? :).