HTC struggling to sell 1 million HTC 10 units this year?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC 10 sales are way below expectations: HTC struggling to sell 1 million units this year

What are the exact HTC 10 sales figures, you ask? A new report by TrendForce says that the HTC 10 is struggling to reach 1 million units in total sales this year. The HTC 10 has obviously failed to spark customers enthusiasm, much to a stark contrast against a phone like the Samsung Galaxy S7 that has managed to sell in tens of millions units.

It's worth still noting that the smartphone market growth has stalled recently and people seem to upgrade their phones less frequently, and tend to prefer affordable devices more and more. At the same time, HTC isn't doing well with affordable phone sales either. Its total phones sales for this year are expected to reach 14 million units, a sharp decline of 27% over last year's sales.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't state how many they expected to sell; it could be they hoped to sell 500K and they're almost double that already. It is interesting that the 10 is only about 7% of their total sales, I didn't know they had that many budget phones selling in other markets. HTC is losing a lot of ground to Asus, who seems to be their closest direct competitor - but with ZTE and Huawei coming to more markets, time to stop monkeying around. Do or do not. There is no cake.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
1-miilion/year is a big failure for a flagship phone like this these days. Samsung passed this mark more than 10 years ago with a Windows Mobile phone (Black Jack) back in dark ages.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it helps that the HTC 10 isn't widely available.

I know that AT&T doesn't sell it, but an unlocked version is available from HTC that works on AT&T.

However, I've yet to see this device in a store. I went to a Verizon store hoping to play with it to see what it's like. However, the Verizon store didn't have it.

If I'm going to pay $700 for a phone, I'd like to play with it before ordering it online, but that has been impossible so far.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My Best Buy didn't have it either (Verizon store still doesn't) - kinda sucks because I'd love to play with it and get a hands on experience rather than just watching videos and reading reviews and posts and... ok, I spend too much time thinking about phones.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it helps that the HTC 10 isn't widely available.

I know that AT&T doesn't sell it, but an unlocked version is available from HTC that works on AT&T.

However, I've yet to see this device in a store. I went to a Verizon store hoping to play with it to see what it's like. However, the Verizon store didn't have it.

If I'm going to pay $700 for a phone, I'd like to play with it before ordering it online, but that has been impossible so far.

I personally think this phone is too overpriced for what it has to offer. Everyone likes to compare it to the s7 but the truth is that htc 10 was never in the same league to begin with. At 500 they could've sold more units and that's iffy. Competition is too fierce and htc isn't quick enough to adapt to the market. Even oneplus had a bigger buzz with their limited marketing.

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I personally think this phone is too overpriced for what it has to offer. Everyone likes to compare it to the s7 but the truth is that htc 10 was never in the same league to begin with. At 500 they could've sold more units and that's iffy. Competition is too fierce and htc isn't quick enough to adapt to the market. Even oneplus had a bigger buzz with their limited marketing.

I really can't say if it's overpriced for me without being able to play with it. It might be meh to me, then again it might be awesome, but I'll never know unless I get my hands on it.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

It gets compared to the S7 cause, well, they are both flagship phones. And yes its in the same league, and is better at some things while s7 is better at others. No phone is perfect.

The price logic doesnt make much sense cause it would mean the S7 costs too much also as it doesnt exactly offer the end all user experience either, which no phone ever will in the end.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Your post is nothing but opinion. HTCs craftsmanship is beyond the S7e. Superior touch responsiveness, fingerprint sensor, call quality, boomsound, front facing camera( lots of pictures I take of me and my sons and wife) and the overall feel in hand without a case. All of that, plus uh-oh protection, is reason enough for me to say that the 10 is far beyond what Samsung offers with the S7e I also own. Neither phone is perfect but, in my opinion, the 10 destroys the S7e.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Your post is nothing but opinion. HTCs craftsmanship is beyond the S7e. Superior touch responsiveness, fingerprint sensor, call quality, boomsound, front facing camera( lots of pictures I take of me and my sons and wife) and the overall feel in hand without a case. All of that, plus uh-oh protection, is reason enough for me to say that the 10 is far beyond what Samsung offers with the S7e I also own. Neither phone is perfect but, in my opinion, the 10 destroys the S7e.

Of course it's my opinion and millions of others that bought the phone. At the end of the day people vote with their wallets.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My Best Buy didn't have it either (Verizon store still doesn't) - kinda sucks because I'd love to play with it and get a hands on experience rather than just watching videos and reading reviews and posts and... ok, I spend too much time thinking about phones.

The Verizon stores I've been to have had them. Good device. Needs a bigger marketing spend.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

SkypilotOfHope

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
HTC's exclusive deal with Bell in Canada has not helped their cause; their social media platforms have been inundated with ppl asking for other carrier distribution. This and the $1,000.00 CDN price tag. Except for the converted, few will opt for this route.

Posted via my HTC 10

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I completely agree. $700 is the reason I have not upgraded my M7 to a 10. In fact $700 is why I will probably upgrade to an A9 when my M7 bites the dust. Although my M7 still looks brand new and functions like the day I bought it. HTC 10 is just over priced. And yes this is my opinion.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

Having used both, I can agree with pretty much everything here. Ill give credit to Samsung, this is their first Galaxy phone Ive used and didnt outright dislike, but I at no point thought it could or would replace my M8 I had prior. It was sit on my M8 or go with HTC 10 once I tried one out. And thats what I ended up doing.

The whole people voting with wallets is great and all, its Samsung, they are the Iphone of Android in the end. Marketing hype goes a long way. In not way shape or form does sales mean anything to me personally. I dont get swayed by a sales number if the phone itself still isnt want I need or want. For HTC sales me alot more, but Im not the CEO etc of the company. Just a consumer who will buy what I want, not what has best marketing and is in my face when I walk into stores (which ironically is the HTC line up of phones that you have to more or less walk into at my local Verizon store as they are front and center so atleast one store did it differently)

In the end, its opinion vs opinion, but I wouldnt dare say the HTC 10 is in a different league than the S7e just because of different sales numbers or personal preference. They are both flagships, plain and simple. All sales aside, these are probably 2 of the best phones made, not just today, but in awhile now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thing is, HTC needs to be healthy so that there will be a new HTC to buy. To be healthy, they have to sell phones.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
And I thought I was the only one who had this obvious personality disorder ........ haaaaa

I had preordered the HTC 10 before it was released but I was able to find one on display at one of the Verizon stores near me.

After a good half hour of holding and playing with it ..... comparing the screen size against my S6 Edge+ numerous times and then getting weird looks from the Verizon staff I decided it wasn't worth jumping into and cancelling my preorder when I got home.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Of course it's my opinion and millions of others that bought the phone. At the end of the day people vote with their wallets.

I have the phone paid 650 and I don't think the phone is overpriced. I have friends that have the s7 10 is better in many different areas. Such as in my opinion the camera is better I have had no problems with it.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Having used both, I can agree with pretty much everything here. Ill give credit to Samsung, this is their first Galaxy phone Ive used and didnt outright dislike, but I at no point thought it could or would replace my M8 I had prior. It was sit on my M8 or go with HTC 10 once I tried one out. And thats what I ended up doing.

The whole people voting with wallets is great and all, its Samsung, they are the Iphone of Android in the end. Marketing hype goes a long way. In not way shape or form does sales mean anything to me personally. I dont get swayed by a sales number if the phone itself still isnt want I need or want. For HTC sales me alot more, but Im not the CEO etc of the company. Just a consumer who will buy what I want, not what has best marketing and is in my face when I walk into stores (which ironically is the HTC line up of phones that you have to more or less walk into at my local Verizon store as they are front and center so atleast one store did it differently)

In the end, its opinion vs opinion, but I wouldnt dare say the HTC 10 is in a different league than the S7e just because of different sales numbers or personal preference. They are both flagships, plain and simple. All sales aside, these are probably 2 of the best phones made, not just today, but in awhile now.

I respect your opinion but I don't think that strong marketing is the only reason why samsung is selling millions. Samsung has evolved and they're starting to understand what people want. As soon as their sales started to decline with the s6 they really pushed hard to get back on top. People wanted expandable storage, waterproofing and a sleek design and they delivered.

Strong marketing doesn't make a product good and the s7 isn't a mediocre product that's heavily marketed. It's an outstanding product. This is all my opinion, I'll love to hear everyone's !

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the phone paid 650 and I don't think the phone is overpriced. I have friends that have the s7 10 is better in many different areas. Such as in my opinion the camera is better I have had no problems with it.

Maybe you do think the htc 10 is miles better but the discussion is why htc isn't selling well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac