Why am I getting charging warnings?

jdballard

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm using this Choetech charger (https://www.amazon.com/Charge-Charger-CHOETECH-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B01582ELMC/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1468109333&sr=1-2&keywords=choetech+usb+c+car+charger) on my HTC 10 (T-Mobile).

I've been using it for about two weeks and it has worked fine until this Thursday (the day after I applied the update that T-Mobile finally approved. Now when I get in my truck, plug it in to the QuickCharge port, I notice that after plugging it in it says "Charging...xx%", changes to Charging Rapidly, xx%" for a few seconds. Then the charging flickers and when it stays lit up, it says "Charging xx%", then back to "Charging Rapidly, xx%", the charging light goes out, etc. It often pops up the warning about using an incompatible charger, then disappears. It also doesn't appear to actually charge. I have tried:

1) Changing the cable - no change
2) My wife's LG V10 charges fine on the same rapid charger
3) My phone charges fine on the standard charge port in my truck - no warning about an incompatible charger
4) My phone rapid charges fine when plugged into the HTC charger at home

At this point, I won't be using the rapid charger in my truck. Has anyone else seen this or have any thoughts on what is going on?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like an issue with the third party charger. I would contact the manufacturer for a warranty replacement

jdballard

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Mine is about six months old, so they may not replace it. If not, I may order a new one. The AZ heat is rough on everything.

jdballard

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I had a defective one and they will replace it quickly. The new one works great and the company has great customer service!

Found that their warranty is 18 months and I just got my new one yesterday. Took a bit of time to get here as it shipped from China, but the new one works just fine. So bizarre that my wife's LG V10 charged fine but mine threw errors. My HTC is QuickCharge 3.0, and hers is QC 2.0, so maybe that was the difference.

The service was really great. Thx for the suggestion.