I have both HTC 10 and Nexus 6p but...

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
This is why I hope Google will not allow HTC to come anywhere near the next Nexii camera processing software. I love HTC for their audio and hardware ingenuity, but they still can't get camera right. And, mind you, the HTC had about 8 months on the Nexus 6p. Both photos were shot in auto HDR at the same time and same day. Yes, the HTC has received its camera software update. But..... You be the judge.

The images are complex as there is shadow and bright light with much information in the photo.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• acc=1;doc=4522.jpg
    acc=1;doc=4522.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have both HTC 10 and Nexus 6p but,..,,

I suppose only one pic attached to my previous post... Here's the other.. Its a drag that I have to send two posts because it does affect the ability to compare, but you can see very clearly why the Nexus 6p has such an awesome camera. The attachment here is the HTC 10.

Attachments

• acc=1;doc=4523.jpg
    acc=1;doc=4523.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 149

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So, sell the HTC 10 and just use your 6P...

Why that response? You should be glad that some of us die hard HTC fans will buy this phone despite itself. It's not like the 10 is selling like hot cakes. And, this may be the last version of this flagship that you may see. I've owned every version of HTC since the og EVO; including EVO 4glte, EVO 3d, HTC m7, and the M8 , so don't get all butt hurt please. I know a thing or two about HTC and I like their hardware. Even though I gave up on the M9, there are still things I like about the phone. And, HTC has driven themselves off of a cliff because they never hired the right people to engineer the camera software and hardware. It bothers me that the first response I get is yours. It's like, well if you think the phone has some flaws, then sell it back and leave the rest of us alone in our bubble. When, the faithful should be beating HTC up to give them quality camera optics. As you can see for yourself, the reviewers are lying to us to get us to buy the damn phone, especially when it comes to the camera. And, HTC needs to hear the truth. Despite all of the glorious reviews, haven't you wondered why the phone isn't selling? It's because folks are doing exactly what you suggested I do. They're either not buying it or they're returning it to get their money's worth from another OEM.
Camera processing on smartphones is very important to people and it doesn't take a whole bunch of comparison photos to figure out that HTC is still way behind.

In the photos attached, seriously, how do you explain the diving board area to be that blown out under early morning light, shot in HDR. To be honest, it's actually horrible. And, yes, I could have tapped on the diving board to properly expose it, but you do see the lunacy in that right? If I tap to expose the board, then the rest of the shot will be too dark. Oftentimes, we're just taking pics and we don't get a second chance. Do you really want to be worried about what objects are blown out? HTC has another fail with its camera optics and it's easily identifiable when set side by side taking photos with folks who have different phones of the Fruity and GaLAGxy genres.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Because these types of posts have been beaten to death around here. Yes, we get it. Some like the camera, some don't. Other reviewers have praised the camera! I've had the HTC Vivid, M7, M8, M9, and 10, and if I'm dying to take professional photos, I'll go buy a point and shoot camera. The people on these forums are not your every day smartphone users. The every day person take pictures for social media posts, and takes unlimited selfies until they get the right one! Most people walk into a store and buy what's popular. Sure, maybe HTC thought they were going to tackle the audio market and carve out their own niche because you have to try to do something different to get noticed. Obviously, it doesn't help that AT&T decided not to sell the HTC 10, but it's not like HTC is not trying AT ALL. The camera has a come a long way from the M7 to the 10, and maybe HTC feels like they want to put their time and money into the audio rather than making a professional grade camera on a smartphone? Look, no one is going to overtake Samsung or Apple at the moment. They have to REALLY screw up to give away some of the market to HTC, LG, or even ZTE. I had a BlackBerry forever until I finally moved on to Android, and I kept thinking each BlackBerry was going to be my last... BUT they're still making them, and that's why I'm 99% sure the HTC 10 will not be their last flagship. It will take a lot more for HTC to just throw in the towel. There will be another phone next year with a more improved camera... and I'm sure the camera will be better on the new HTC Nexus line than the one on the HTC 10.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Because these types of posts have been beaten to death around here. Yes, we get it. Some like the camera, some don't. The camera has a come a long way from the M7 to the 10, and maybe HTC feels like they want to put their time and money into the audio rather than making a professional grade camera on a smartphone? Look, no one is going to overtake Samsung or Apple at the moment. They have to REALLY screw up to give away some of the market to HTC, LG, or even ZTE. I had a BlackBerry forever until I finally moved on to Android, and I kept thinking each BlackBerry was going to be my last... BUT they're still making them, and that's why I'm 99% sure the HTC 10 will not be their last flagship. It will take a lot more for HTC to just throw in the towel. There will be another phone next year with a more improved camera... and I'm sure the camera will be better on the new HTC Nexus line than the one on the HTC 10.

I really didn't realize that there has been that many negative posts about the camera. TBH, I didn't look that far. I just posted. As long as Google continues to employ HDR+ with their own camera software engineering then there will be no issues with HTC managing the camera optics. If they follow HTC's lead with camera optics, then the next Nexus will be a camera fail. IMHO!

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I see your point about the differences... mehhh... any camera is a tool.... not a press-a-button-and-do-magic type of thing....

every camera chip has a set dynamic range... it's up to you as a photographer to understand these limits...

don't take offence to this... but your example of a "problem" is just a bad photo... you're trying to take a photo of an extremely difficult high ranging scene... you're just looking for "problems"... these photos aren't of any significance...

here are some that I took that are at difficult high ranging scenes (I'm not saying I'm some pro)

b51ff9c56c4d5977f69a4ad95cf18005.jpg

e392ca15f13f71597cf00ef976caf7da.jpg

1c7d70e106d86d1638acc716f26800ba.jpg

de05505c050dc2918701cde598073646.jpg

I'm just posting these as an example of using this "bad" camera... no complaints here

Last edited by a moderator:

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
You've already voiced your opinion about not liking the htc 10 in many other threads...it's like, stop bashing the phone and move on already. Also, the camera on the htc 10 is on point. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. DxOMark tested both the GS7E and the htc 10 and scored them both at an 89. So stop the hate and move on. Cool? Cool...

You believe everything you read? The camera is Aight.. That's it! I like both phones for different reasons. I just wish HTC could put it so together because i do root for the little guy.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I am glad to see that the HTC love is still alive and well. I've defended plenty of negative posts about past versions of the HTC one. So, I get it. I do think that I should give some context though. I had the M7 (purple haze) and the M8 (rear camera lens mysterious scratching). Both were well documented. In both cases, I sent my phone away for at least ten days to get repairs as you could not simply exchange the phones and avoid the problems. That aggravated me to the point where I was truly angered, disappointed, and untrusting of anything HTC could do with camera hardware and software. I do truly love the Nexus 6p and it's simply one of the best phones out there, hands down. However, I love the sheer power of the HTC 10 and it's audio prowess is what impressed me to buy it. But, it is not my daily driver and I wish it could be because I also love the high quality metal body.

There, is that better fellas? LMAO!

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Dang it! The hate is real. HTC is held to what I believe to be even higher standards than Samsung is so, I guess it's a good thing.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Dang it! The hate is real. HTC is held to what I believe to be even higher standards than Samsung is so, I guess it's a good thing.

Since I'm the only one in this post that has shown a dislike for the HTC camera, then you'd be referring to me. I don't hate HTC. I am not a Sammy fan. I'm a fan of whatever I'm using right now. And, that's the 10 and the 6p. But, if you've never used a Nexus device, there are some things that are difficult to do without once you've had them. There's nothing quite like timely updates and bloat free software. When it comes to HTC, I missed the hardware craftsmanship and the audio performance. There's really no reason to hate on HTC because they're not threatening any other OEM. I think the 10 is a lovely phone and I'm glad to have it. So, there you go. No hate here! I do keep it real and don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong, but I'm no longer a blind follower of HTC as I was in the past. Just sayin! What i do see in response to my post is a fervent rooting for the underdog and I get it.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's a few of my own shots that were taken right after sunset. The detail and quality of these exposures are impressive considering when they were taken. I may not be the best at capturing a scene, but I could easily print these pictures and they'd look great in a photo album. But, who does that any more? Right?

Attachments

• IMG_20160722_203649.jpg
    IMG_20160722_203649.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 57

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Grrrr, I guess o have to attach them all separate when using the mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_20160722_205508.jpg
    IMG_20160722_205508.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 55

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Here's a few of my own shots that were taken right after sunset. The detail and quality of these exposures are impressive considering when they were taken. I may not be the best at capturing a scene, but I could easily print these pictures and they'd look great in a photo album. But, who does that any more? Right?

The problem is with your expectations to say the least. It less than 5 minutes to browse through the sticky thread for pictures to see that the camera of the HTC 10 is actually amazing.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you might know what you're talking about when it comes to what you think the camera of the HTC 10 should produce. Here's a comparison test where the HTC 10 came out on top. If you disagree with their conclusion, then you're in luck. They've provided samples from each camera in the comparison and you can view them at 100% crop. If you can look through the gallery and identify where the HTC 10 fell short when they stated otherwise, then I'll give your assessment of the HTC 10's camera some credibility and not assume you're grasping at straws.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Best...Galaxy-S7-iPhone-6s-Plus-LG-G5-HTC-10_id83011

Until then I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting, not to mention what you think the software should calculate and process as the correct exposure isn't making too much sense.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma