OK HTC, it's the 29th of July where is the July security updates?

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I am not a person who needs their phone to be first for security updates but I like to get them sometime during the month they came out. $700 (I paid $600 for mine) flagship phones should get monthly security updates. Period! The July update had more security fixes and new drivers than a normal month on top of it. Come on HTC!

Hate to say it but while I really like my unlocked HTC 10 no updates means I probably will be looking to go back to Nexus when the new phones are available.

And looks like HTC will be making those Nexus phones......lol.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, the president of HTC America, Jason Mackenzie, once mentioned that while HTC "will push for them (security updates), it would be "unrealistic" for any vendor to "guarantee" a security patch released every month.

So the July patch might come in August? A lot of vendors release a monthly patch in the next month.

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, believe it or not, BlackBerry PRIV has received every single monthly security update since launch... not bad

Posted via the Android Central App

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
yep... still, i think that's something that people don't value when making a purchase... i am in this forum because i am interested in getting an HTC 10, i think that device is great... however, this thread confirms what i read before, you won't have monthly security updates guaranteed with HTC...

Security is their main selling point so not surprised.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
yep... still, i think that's something that people don't value when making a purchase... i am in this forum because i am interested in getting an HTC 10, i think that device is great... however, this thread confirms what i read before, you won't have monthly security updates guaranteed with HTC...
Yeah other than Nexus, Priv, few models of S7 in some parts of the world no device is getting monthly security updates. I think it's tough for OEMs to do that. I'm not sure if it's possible for Google to separate it out and make it more like Google play services or something so that it's outside of OEMs. If OEMs have to update they never going to update monthly considering they will have too many models, cost of doing it every month etc.

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
yes... one of the reasons people say that BB have updated the PRIV monthly (and i believe that's correct) it's because they have only one model (two now that they've announced a mid-range phone)... so of course, it's a lot easier to update just one or two than five or seven different models... but especially in Android, you want to have updates periodically... even with the inherent cost of the update, some people expect the flagship to be up to date for certain period of time... and i said some people because a lot of people don't care about security these days... i totally see the OP's point of view where you got HTC flagship and is already behind in updates, and saying that other brands haven't updated theirs neither don't give any consolation...

Yeah other than Nexus, Priv, few models of S7 in some parts of the world no device is getting monthly security updates. I think it's tough for OEMs to do that. I'm not sure if it's possible for Google to separate it out and make it more like Google play services or something so that it's outside of OEMs. If OEMs have to update they never going to update monthly considering they will have too many models, cost of doing it every month etc.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm still confused as to why a monthly security update is so important enough to stop someone from buying a phone? Is it fear of being hacked for their personal information? Is remotely hacking cell phones even a thing? I'm being serious here. I just don't understand it. Monthly OS updates is one thing, but a security patch?

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm still confused as to why a monthly security update is so important enough to stop someone from buying a phone? Is it fear of being hacked for their personal information? Is remotely hacking cell phones even a thing? I'm being serious here. I just don't understand it. Monthly OS updates is one thing, but a security patch?

I think it's more of a peace of mind thing...sorta like water proofing a phone(which I still don't see the hype about) I mean we've had smart phones in the rain for years and they don't mess up so why is water proofing seen so valuable now but anyway back to the subject...to me monthly security updates aren't important as periodic security updates and quick OS updates but to others it can be one of their big things like sound is to me and camera is to others

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Security is definitely a concern on smartphones. Bugs, exploits, etc. all get patched with these updates. Your PC can be hacked and messed with -- why not your phone? Now is it likely to happen? Not as much but to some they value security so .. They go with what they value. It would be no different than an audiophile going with the HTC due to the sound output it can do whereas I would never buy a phone on that fact alone since I don't care that much about that piece.

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's sort of like peace of mind kind of thing and personal preference and/or priority but also, you don't want to read an article in the papers tomorrow about a recently found hack or security issue that compromises your phone, but only affects the phones without the July security update (for instance)... I do prefer to have the most recent, available security patches installed than not, but that's just me...

Posted via the Android Central App

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
just for people to know, i am using a Priv... i don't love it, but i like the option to have a physical kb... anyway, today (Aug 1st) i got the August security update (and it has been like this since i got it about three or four months ago)... that's pretty impressive to be honest... i do think that HTC (and every brand for that matter) should do the same especially for their flagship...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid