OK HTC, it's the 29th of July where is the July security updates?

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I am not a person who needs their phone to be first for security updates but I like to get them sometime during the month they came out. $700 (I paid $600 for mine) flagship phones should get monthly security updates. Period! The July update had more security fixes and new drivers than a normal month on top of it. Come on HTC!

Hate to say it but while I really like my unlocked HTC 10 no updates means I probably will be looking to go back to Nexus when the new phones are available.

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site
i dont think htc said they are doing monthly security updates...

I am not aware of any Android OEMs with a stated update policy beyond Google and Samsung but that's not my point. No stated policy doesn't mean you don't do it anyway... It seems obvious all "flagship" phones should be getting monthly security updates otherwise you are not supporting your products so why should a consumer stick with you?

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i think what htc said was it is "unrealistic"..... this goes beyond what i know... im not exactly sure how it all works

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am not aware of any Android OEMs with a stated update policy beyond Google and Samsung but that's not my point. No stated policy doesn't mean you don't do it anyway... It seems obvious all "flagship" phones should be getting monthly security updates otherwise you are not supporting your products so why should a consumer stick with you?
Lol even Samsung doesn't update all their phones monthly. The unlocked US model G930U is still on May update whereas some carrier versions are on July. They are also not consistent, it's frustrating looking at this mess.

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Lol even Samsung doesn't update all their phones monthly. The unlocked US model G930U is still on May update whereas some carrier versions are on July. They are also not consistent, it's frustrating looking at this mess.

I agree it's a mess but... We need to stop making excuses (OEM X didn't release an update for X phone either) and expect OEMs to at least support their flagship phones these days.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Just curious, since this seems to be an activist thing, are you making threads in the S7 Anna's 6s forums too? Would seem odd to just attack HTC on this when they never promised it to begin with.

Having 2 updates already has really impressed me, on top of the market updates as well. HTC is one of the better companies in this regard.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, since this seems to be an activist thing, are you making threads in the S7 Anna's 6s forums too? Would seem odd to just attack HTC on this when they never promised it to begin with.

Having 2 updates already has really impressed me, on top of the market updates as well. HTC is one of the better companies in this regard.

He is making it here since he owns the HTC 10 -- there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I like to get them sometime during the month they came out. $700 (I paid $600 for mine) flagship phones should get monthly security updates

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site

Almeuit beat me to it but yeah it should have been oblivious why I posted here if you actually read the OP.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I can't see where it is possible to see the security update version on this phone? Usually in Settings>about>software version... But not on the 10..?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't see where it is possible to see the security update version on this phone? Usually in Settings>about>software version... But not on the 10..?

Do you have the Verizon version? I believe they hid it if I am recalling correctly.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused as to why a lack of monthly security patches is reason enough to switch phone brands? It has nothing to do with a lack of support. We've had two OS updates, an HTC Service Pack update... And chances are we're not even going to notice a security patch in our daily usage!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You think thats bad. Verizon is still on March. Ugh, even after an update it didn't change.
That's not a surprise for a carrier branded version... especially for low volume seller like HTC 10. Verizon probably won't even prioritize testing this so you will probably get updates way late that too if your are lucky.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well if you wanted monthly security updates, I don't know why you got the HTC 10. As far as I know, Nexus phones are the only phones guaranteed to get monthly security updates. Should have gotten that.

Complaining about something the the company never said they'd do doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If HTC came out and said they're committing to releasing monthly security updates for the 10 and they didn't acheive that, then sure, complain away. But I don't understand the point of this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy