Anyone coming from the M8? Is it really worth it?

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the HTC One M8 since launch and love it. The looks, the smoothness, Sense UI. Best smartphone I ever had (came from a couple of Samsung, which were dissappointing).
The only thing failing is the battery but I already bought a new one and will be replacing it soon. But I'm debating if I should upgrade to the new HTC 10...I also thought about the Pixel but seems too expensive, only reviews will tell, of course.
To anyone who went from the M8:

Is it worth doing such an upgrade? Is it definitely faster and with better battery life? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers :)

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
HTC 10 is a far superior device than the One M8. But at this point in time, there is no harm in waiting for a day or two to find out if Pixel phones are better than the HTC 10.

Good luck with your search.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My only gripe currently is battery life, that's why I ordered a battery and will be replacing it. 2 years of heavy use takes its toll. Let's see how that goes.

I won a blackberry DTEK50 (it's the Alcatel idol 4 hardware rebranded with blackberry software on top of Android) and a UMi Max Smartphones on 2 Internet giveaways (in the same day, talk about luck, right?) , they haven't arrived yet but I believe none of them would be a proper upgrade over my M8 so I think I'm selling the DTEK50 and giving the UMi Max to my niece. Do you guys agree that the DTEK50 is more of a sidegrade as well?

Cheers

chin chen

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
My only gripe currently is battery life, that's why I ordered a battery and will be replacing it. 2 years of heavy use takes its toll. Let's see how that goes.

I won a blackberry DTEK50 (it's the Alcatel idol 4 hardware rebranded with blackberry software on top of Android) and a UMi Max Smartphones on 2 Internet giveaways (in the same day, talk about luck, right?) , they haven't arrived yet but I believe none of them would be a proper upgrade over my M8 so I think I'm selling the DTEK50 and giving the UMi Max to my niece. Do you guys agree that the DTEK50 is more of a sidegrade as well?

Cheers

It depends on what you value. The Dtek has monthly security updates and is much more secure than the Htc. Performance wise, it is probably similar. I have the Priv and i like the Blackberry software with Android.

I would not upgrade the Htc M8 with the DTEK50, since the upgrade isnt really there, as you also assumed.O

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I miss is the front facing speakers, but everything else is great. I've had all of them and rank them HTC 10, HTC M7, HTC M9, HTC M8. For some reason, the M8 just "felt off" to me compared to the others.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Cheers
I'm same like you...I love the phone.. It's good enough but the battery is exhausted.... Mine shuts down when it reaches 25 percent had been doing that for about 10 months... So really the battery only lasts for about 20 months for me... It's been very frustrating to have to think about charging my phone when it gets to 30%...

I'm audiophile so that's one reason why I like HTC phones but the battery issue has made me think about getting an lg phone at least you can change the batteries... And I always use TSF launcher so i wouldn't be missing Sense Home launcher software either...

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm same like you...I love the phone.. It's good enough but the battery is exhausted.... Mine shuts down when it reaches 25 percent had been doing that for about 10 months... So really the battery only lasts for about 20 months for me... It's been very frustrating to have to think about charging my phone when it gets to 30%...

I'm audiophile so that's one reason why I like HTC phones but the battery issue has made me think about getting an lg phone at least you can change the batteries... And I always use TSF launcher so i wouldn't be missing Sense Home launcher software either...
Do like I'm doing: replace the battery. I found a proper and trustworthy repair shop that charges me 50 euros if they buy an original battery or 20 if I buy the battery myself. I say this because it's one of the most difficult phones to open so I prefer to pay a technician to do it.

kuvittelija

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Do like I'm doing: replace the battery. I found a proper and trustworthy repair shop that charges me 50 euros if they buy an original battery or 20 if I buy the battery myself. I say this because it's one of the most difficult phones to open so I prefer to pay a technician to do it.

Beware! I took my M8 to a repair shop for a battery change. Got it back, only to realize couple of days later that the GPS doesn't work. Went back to the shop, the same guy repaired the issue, saying that the GPS antenna on top of the phone is very fragile and easily damaged when opening the phone. OK, now the GPS worked... Maybe 2 months! I hhav no idea how it was repaired, with piece of aluminum foil or something? And in the meantime the repair shop has closed permanently!
So now I have a great M8 with good battery, but I use maps and plenty of other apps that need/benefit from GPS.

Been waiting for the Pixel launch knowing who's making them: HTC. Only to hear that Pixels are not even coming for sale where I'm at. Not for some time at least. (Finland)
Aaaand I'd really like the blue one, which of course is US only, for who knows how long.

Should I just take the 10...?

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I came from the M8 and am very happy with the 10. Like others on here hinted at, the front speakers are hugely missed for both playing music/videos and having a louder ringtone. But it’s definitely an improvement in many areas too.

I mainly upgraded for the camera and battery, as my M8 had to be exchanged for a refurbished one towards the end when the charger started acting inconsistently. Afterward, I noticed a decrease in battery life, so it made my decision to upgrade much easier after that.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I came from the M8 and am very happy with the 10. Like others on here hinted at, the front speakers are hugely missed for both playing music/videos and having a louder ringtone. But it’s definitely an improvement in many areas too.

I mainly upgraded for the camera and battery, as my M8 had to be exchanged for a refurbished one towards the end when the charger started acting inconsistently. Afterward, I noticed a decrease in battery life, so it made my decision to upgrade much easier after that.

Why didn't you just replace the battery for a new original one?

Beware! I took my M8 to a repair shop for a battery change. Got it back, only to realize couple of days later that the GPS doesn't work. Went back to the shop, the same guy repaired the issue, saying that the GPS antenna on top of the phone is very fragile and easily damaged when opening the phone. OK, now the GPS worked... Maybe 2 months! I hhav no idea how it was repaired, with piece of aluminum foil or something? And in the meantime the repair shop has closed permanently!
So now I have a great M8 with good battery, but I use maps and plenty of other apps that need/benefit from GPS.

Been waiting for the Pixel launch knowing who's making them: HTC. Only to hear that Pixels are not even coming for sale where I'm at. Not for some time at least. (Finland)
Aaaand I'd really like the blue one, which of course is US only, for who knows how long.

Should I just take the 10...?

In your case, I would. But you can try taking it to another repair shop. I found out many of the hardware issues are very easy to solve, to be honest. You just have to find a trustworthy repair shop.

Cheers

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I feel these phones now with non-replaceable batteries are not meant to be repaired unless you're sending it into the manufacturer.... and even then, the original seal is being broken, and it may not work exactly the same anyway. I've had so many friends go to local iPhone shops to get their cracked screens replaced, and every single one eventually just gets a new phone because they're not repaired properly. Especially with iPhones too, you have to break the glue that's holding everything together, and something's bound to get loose and stop working.

Anyway, that's my rant! Ha.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I feel these phones now with non-replaceable batteries are not meant to be repaired unless you're sending it into the manufacturer.... and even then, the original seal is being broken, and it may not work exactly the same anyway. I've had so many friends go to local iPhone shops to get their cracked screens replaced, and every single one eventually just gets a new phone because they're not repaired properly. Especially with iPhones too, you have to break the glue that's holding everything together, and something's bound to get loose and stop working.

Anyway, that's my rant! Ha.
Not my case. I found a very competent guy who actually has lots of requests from other repair shops because he's so thorough. And he's not expensive.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Why didn't you just replace the battery for a new original one?

What Holz75 says is probably the main reason. I brought it to the Sprint store hoping there'd by a way where they could try fixing a charger, but they said all they could do was swipe it. While the battery was 'okay', it wasn't on the level I had with the M8 post-whatever Android update came right before it.

If I had held onto the M8 a bit longer, it's possible that I might've looked into someone who does battery replacements down the road. But I decided to save the time and trouble and just upgraded when the time came.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
What Holz75 says is probably the main reason. I brought it to the Sprint store hoping there'd by a way where they could try fixing a charger, but they said all they could do was swipe it. While the battery was 'okay', it wasn't on the level I had with the M8 post-whatever Android update came right before it.

If I had held onto the M8 a bit longer, it's possible that I might've looked into someone who does battery replacements down the road. But I decided to save the time and trouble and just upgraded when the time came.
Yeah, I keep forgetting that most of you Americans buy subsidized phones, which doesn't happen often here in Europe. We usually pay the full price for the unlocked version. The advantage is paying less for the phone bill and getting faster updates. But I can understand your situation, I would probably do the same.

TP222

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
When I had T-Mobile, I loved my M8. When I switched to Verizon, I was prepared to get it again, but the salesman told me the Galaxy S5 was a much better phone. LIAR!!!!!!!! When the 10 came out, I switched immediately. I really like the 10, but the M8 was still my favorite.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
When I had T-Mobile, I loved my M8. When I switched to Verizon, I was prepared to get it again, but the salesman told me the Galaxy S5 was a much better phone. LIAR!!!!!!!! When the 10 came out, I switched immediately. I really like the 10, but the M8 was still my favorite.
That's another problem we don't have here. The fact that one phone from Verizon, for instance doesn't work in another carrier, like Sprint. When you changed carrier, what did you do to the T-Mobile HTC One M8? You had to give it back or you could sell it?

Cheers

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I keep forgetting that most of you Americans buy subsidized phones, which doesn't happen often here in Europe. We usually pay the full price for the unlocked version. The advantage is paying less for the phone bill and getting faster updates. But I can understand your situation, I would probably do the same.

The other thing to consider is that I'm not even sure if many repair shops in my area go beyond fixing, say, iPhones or Samsung products. I hear about people I know doing it for those sorts of phones, but I'd wonder if getting a new battery for the M8 might've required sending it somewhere or whatever. To me, things like that just seemed like a bit of hassle in the long run.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power