Dumping Note 7, Sell me on the 10

chilledbeer

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I have always used an iPhone and an Android phone(secondary). The other phone is always a latest Samsung. I gave away the Note 7 and moved to 10. My iPhone is a 7 Plus.

Things I missed from Samsung: the screen, camera, monster battery life, the large screen factor.

Things I've gained on the 10: A beautiful, beautiful user interface that brings me a lot of peace of mind in every day use(I consider HTC 10 the iPhone of the Android World), audio(my God) it's seriously good to the point that I exclusively listen to music only on my HTC 10 now(a word of advice - get the HTC high res audio headphones and you'll never ever go to a Bose, Beats, AudioTechnica headphones ever again), a good camera but just not as good as a Note or iPhone, decent battery life - 4 to 4.5 hours SOT rather than 6-7 hours on the Note 7.

Overall, I would say I'm a happy happy user of the HTC 10 and not looking to waver for the next few months(at least that's the plan).

mrbowlman

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for about a month now. While I did play with the S7 and S7E at the store for a bit, I haven't used either for daily use, so I can't legitimately compare. I preferred the look and feel of the 10. I preferred Sense and the more minimal approach to software over Touchwiz. The type-c port was a bit of a selling point for me. It seems like a small thing, but every night when I plug it in, I'm reminded of how annoying it used to be when I'd try to insert the plug backwards. Audio quality was also a selling point for me. Another selling point was the ability to unlock the bootloader, which I don't think you can do with the Samsung phones. (I have the Verizon version) I wasn't much of a fan of the rounded edges of the Samsung screens, either.

After using the phone for a month: Battery life is pretty good, though the past week or so I've been noticing that Google Play Services has been leaching quite a bit of juice. Charging the battery is ridiculously fast, I've seen it charge 50+% in 30 minutes. Pictures are pretty good. Call quality is pretty good. Coming from the M8, the speakers are a bit wonky, but sound quality is ok. Fingerprint reader ok, I do get a few "try again"'s. The screen is plenty vibrant and bright.

It's a very good phone all around, and I have no regrets with my purchase.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't have much to add, but like you I needed a new phone after the Note 7 fiasco.

I decided on the HTC 10 because it had great audio, great cameras, used USB-C (can't go back to non reversible plugs, makes charging while driving effortless).

I hated Samsung's other offerings and the Pixels weren't anything exciting. It was an easy choice.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't have much to add, but like you I needed a new phone after the Note 7 fiasco.

I decided on the HTC 10 because it had great audio, great cameras, used USB-C (can't go back to non reversible plugs, makes charging while driving effortless).

I hated Samsung's other offerings and the Pixels weren't anything exciting. It was an easy choice.

After reading the stories on AC last night of other Note 7s going up in flames, I ordered the HTC 10. Luckily it was still $150 off. After the experience with Samsung customer service and the Note 7, I'm done with Samsung. The HTC 10 is the only other Android device worth it for me. The Pixels look nice but highly overpriced for a smartphone that has a camera with no OIS.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Are you on T-Mobile?

If not, it's a damn nice phone. Fast, built great, nothing to disable (unless it came from your carrier) to keep Android System from eating your battery to death. I use T-Mobile, so I don't get as much use out if it as I would have liked. (there are some network issues for customers in certain refarmed areas and advanced network features don;t work and sometimes switching is slow to happen)

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Picked one up last week and I really like it. Always had Samsung. Will say it feels really.nice. using unlocked on att and works great . HD voice calling works as well. Hard to complain about this phone . All around great buy especially with the 150 off right now. Still cheaper then anything out there really . Plus the uh oh protection sounds decent too.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Are you on T-Mobile?

If not, it's a damn nice phone. Fast, built great, nothing to disable (unless it came from your carrier) to keep Android System from eating your battery to death. I use T-Mobile, so I don't get as much use out if it as I would have liked. (there are some network issues for customers in certain refarmed areas and advanced network features don;t work and sometimes switching is slow to happen)

Jerry,

I just ordered one over the weekend and I use T-Mobile. What issues are there with the unlocked device on T-Mobile? I live in a major metro market (Philadelphia) and my coverage is excellent. Does it not work with WiFi calling?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Jerry,

I just ordered one over the weekend and I use T-Mobile. What issues are there with the unlocked device on T-Mobile? I live in a major metro market (Philadelphia) and my coverage is excellent. Does it not work with WiFi calling?

It works fine in some places. In others, including my house and neighborhood where 2G has been repurposed as LTE, I can make calls, I can get a good data signal. nothing like wifi calling or HD voice or even provisional call forwarding (the kind used for Google Voice) will work, and switching from one tower to another often doesn't work

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I am on T-Mobile in the greater Los Angeles area - I have no problems with the full functionality of HD calling, wifi calling, data....I do have problems at times on the LA to Vegas corridor and in the Grapevine ...but is awesome otherwise. I have not had a problem with T-Mo in any major metro area.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I am on T-Mobile in the greater Los Angeles area - I have no problems with the full functionality of HD calling, wifi calling, data....I do have problems at times on the LA to Vegas corridor and in the Grapevine ...but is awesome otherwise. I have not had a problem with T-Mo in any major metro area.

I thought just I had a busted one. So i tried another one, same thing.

I asked some people who would know, and eventually got a long story filled with fussing and feuding, that ended up being T-Mobile not correctly identifying the network to the phone correctly in the areas they switched 2G into LTE yet. That will happen eventually, they just haven't got to it.

This is also why T-Mobile quietly stopped selling the HTC 10. A fully branded, filled with bloatware HTC phone will have the APN data needed to switch correctly. An unlocked model will use generic apn settings

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site

I asked some people who would know, and eventually got a long story filled with fussing and feuding, that ended up being T-Mobile not correctly identifying the network to the phone correctly in the areas they switched 2G into LTE yet. That will happen eventually, they just haven't got to it.

This is also why T-Mobile quietly stopped selling the HTC 10. A fully branded, filled with bloatware HTC phone will have the APN data needed to switch correctly. An unlocked model will use generic apn settings

I purchased an unlocked model from HTC - the information you shared is good to know - I am not well versed in the APN and tech side of things - will consider the APN data should I ever have problems in areas that T-Mo may not have fully switched to LTE .....for now, everything is awesome :)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I purchased an unlocked model from HTC - the information you shared is good to know - I am not well versed in the APN and tech side of things - will consider the APN data should I ever have problems in areas that T-Mo may not have fully switched to LTE .....for now, everything is awesome :)

:thumbsup:

It's a really nice phone that works great in most places. If Samsung phones hadn't been as good as they are this year, it could have been a huge hit. It was my pick for best phone :)

But nobody who fights the Samsung marketing juggernaut can win when you pair it with legitimately great phones.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I had a M7 and M8 ..... both purchased on the day they were released and the reasons why I love Android now.

I also like the HTC 10 and I'd own one now if they had a 5'7" version !!! I got used to the large screen real estate of my S6 Edge+ and Note 7s

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Na...this can't be true... everybody was so sure that t-mobile pulled the phone bc no one wants it and they couldn't sell it... there can't be any other logical reason. /s

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Is this a fix that will come from T-Mobile to unlocked phones somehow, or something that HTC can address? Annoyed that this is even an issue in a premium phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary