Letting the dust settle Android N

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Great to see that HTC are working fast do support HTC 10 users however I'm going to hang back a little on installing it. I don't want to be an early adopter just because of previous bad experiences... (lollipop and to a lesser extent Marshmallow both on HTC M8). N will give more features (and possibly performance increase?) But Marshmallow runs great on my phone so I don't want to mess with that!
I'll be lurking around the various forums seeing seeing real world reports from the early adopters and probably still only upgrade when/if they release 7.1 which should be even more stable.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I had an issue with connection to AT&T network, but I muddled through it. So far it seems ok, a little more Google nagware (Turn On OK GOOGLE!, Do you want to use....?) But other than that, it seems to have gone ok so far.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I had an issue with connection to AT&T network, but I muddled through it. So far it seems ok, a little more Google nagware (Turn On OK GOOGLE!, Do you want to use....?) But other than that, it seems to have gone ok so far.
Thanks, good to hear hope this is good sign of things to come....again I actually would prefer the HTC programmers and coders had longer time to update / port Android updates as it would lessen the chances of bugs as that's one potential downside of rush to fulfill the 90 day update promise. Oh well, as said I earlier I'll likely to wait till 7.1...but good luck to you 7.0 early adopters! 😊

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I doubt it will be super riddled with bugs considering that the bolt comes out of the box with 7.0. The hardware between the phones is similar.

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
It feels smoother, I haven't noticed many bugs for Nougat. I'm loving that we can FINALLY customize our Quick Settings, and the double-tap Recents to switch to last app is awesome. The call screen has four buttons now (Add, Bluetooth, Mute, Speaker) instead of three, and otherwise I haven't seen many new tweaks. Oh, we did get Night mode.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, good to hear hope this is good sign of things to come....again I actually would prefer the HTC programmers and coders had longer time to update / port Android updates as it would lessen the chances of bugs as that's one potential downside of rush to fulfill the 90 day update promise. Oh well, as said I earlier I'll likely to wait till 7.1...but good luck to you 7.0 early adopters! 😊

I am waiting a little bit as well to see what the community says. However I don't think it's going to have that many bugs because HTC is the one who developed and built the pixel so Google is giving then the updates early they have had the update for almost three and a half months now since Google originally released nougat. They have had planned to make sure and work out bugs. They are doing 7. 0 to try and make it a smoother transition before in a month or two doing 7.1 to the unlock devices.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
There only "bug" I've noticed is under settings>more>Data usage>Data Saver. The description is for battery saver, not Data Saver.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Great to see that HTC are working fast do support HTC 10 users however I'm going to hang back a little on installing it. I don't want to be an early adopter just because of previous bad experiences... (lollipop and to a lesser extent Marshmallow both on HTC M8). N will give more features (and possibly performance increase?) But Marshmallow runs great on my phone so I don't want to mess with that!
I'll be lurking around the various forums seeing seeing real world reports from the early adopters and probably still only upgrade when/if they release 7.1 which should be even more stable.
Lollipop was a dumpster fire on more than just HTC devices. It ruined my Moto X 2014 and my Google Play Edition LG Tablet for months before there was a fix.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Lollipop was a dumpster fire on more than just HTC devices. It ruined my Moto X 2014 and my Google Play Edition LG Tablet for months before there was a fix.
Good point, still however, I do hope HTC revise and update again to 7.1. We haven't had a double update within a single major os version since KitKat.... Lollipop maybe could have been saved if they had updated to 5.1. But instead we had to suffer 5.01 for a whole year. When I got my M8 i think the M8 got two or three different flavors of KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 and 4.4.4...

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I have had this HTC since launch and there has been no shortage of updates for it. I have the unlocked variant. Also I don't want 7.1 because it's not even finished and won't be released officially till next month. It was a ploy to get more people to buy the Android iPhone.

If you have a carrier version then that falls on them to get you the updates in a timely manner. HTC has been on top of timely updates since the launch of the phone.

anon(9057625)

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
It feels smoother, I haven't noticed many bugs for Nougat. I'm loving that we can FINALLY customize our Quick Settings, and the double-tap Recents to switch to last app is awesome. The call screen has four buttons now (Add, Bluetooth, Mute, Speaker) instead of three, and otherwise I haven't seen many new tweaks. Oh, we did get Night mode.

Agreed! Smoother and my battery is lasting longer. For some reason HTC didn't allow "auto sync" to be one of the quick settings. Duo is also in the update, but can't be uninstalled. We FINALLY have multicultural emoticons too (press and hold)!

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Agreed! Smoother and my battery is lasting longer. For some reason HTC didn't allow "auto sync" to be one of the quick settings. Duo is also in the update, but can't be uninstalled. We FINALLY have multicultural emoticons too (press and hold)!

And yet we can't escape those horrible HTC smiley faces... The rest of the emoji are Google's just use the whole kit! Could get the multicolor emoji on SwiftKey, but not on TouchPal.

I'm happy for Data Saver and Battery Saver in Quick Settings, I go on vacation this week and I'm gonna use those a lot!

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I got the update on Friday and everything was fine until about midday today when all of a sudden my phone shut down...repowered it but my Google Play Services seems to be a bit borked now, it is telling me I need to sign in, but won't when I try to, and some Google apps like Gmail and YouTube are signed out and won't sign in either. Other non-Google apps and phone functions seem to be working fine though. I'm thinking a Play Services update came down and didn't play nice with the update. Has this happened to others? I'd do a factory reset but I am out of the country and don't want to risk completely borking the phone until I am home (tomorrow night) and have a backup at hand.

erojas388

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I see some new emojis but im not getting the multicultural by pressing and holding. Anything I have to do?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have had this HTC since launch and there has been no shortage of updates for it. I have the unlocked variant. Also I don't want 7.1 because it's not even finished and won't be released officially till next month. It was a ploy to get more people to buy the Android iPhone.

If you have a carrier version then that falls on them to get you the updates in a timely manner. HTC has been on top of timely updates since the launch of the phone.
Yes I have received all the small minor incremental updates toi but usually the major revisions from Google contain much more optimizations than the minor updates. 7.1 as a major revision will likely be much more optimized and less likely to have the bugs than the public beta 7.0... to be honest It's only been a few hours since the 7.0 update was received for htc10...and from what I'm reading so far it looks good.. people are reporting better battery life and snappiness...but I remember people saying that in the first few days if lollipop too until many realized what a disaster it was...I'll give it a few weeks before jumping in...

BluBrett

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Noticed my first bug today. My notification shade got stuck in the status bar. Couldn't use either for a few minutes but it resolved itself. Otherwise it's been perfect!

53042f43580c2bed1afdda5011c877f0.jpg

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes I have received all the small minor incremental updates toi but usually the major revisions from Google contain much more optimizations than the minor updates. 7.1 as a major revision will likely be much more optimized and less likely to have the bugs than the public beta 7.0... to be honest It's only been a few hours since the 7.0 update was received for htc10...and from what I'm reading so far it looks good.. people are reporting better battery life and snappiness...but I remember people saying that in the first few days if lollipop too until many realized what a disaster it was...I'll give it a few weeks before jumping in...

This isn't a public beta for the HTC 10. That is for Samsung and all those other guys. Also keep in mind HTC has probably had their hands on nougat longer than most. Considering they are making the pixel phones. Developers on XDA have had the HTC nougat for the last month.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Update on my problem - factory reset fixed it. A pain, but now the phone is running great, battery life is improved and this thing is flying even more than before. Also, is it me or is the camera functioning a bit better too?