Text Msg not received using HTC Messages

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Over the last few weeks Ive had an issue where sporadically my text messages sent via the HTC Messages app have not been received and messages sent to me I have not received. I was on with Verizon support two weeks ago and they had me do a bunch of reset stuff which did not work as I just found out I missed 3 messages over this last weekend. I just spoke with Verizon and they said the logs show the messages were received by the network and sent to my phone. They suggested it was the HTC Messages app. When they had me open the Verizon Message+ app at first it did not show the missing messages but all of a sudden it updated with them. So it appears Im now going to be using the Verizon Message+ app. Yet another wonky wonk on these stupid phones. So if you are having issues be aware!

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So apparently I have missed many texts I didnt know about, over the last 40 minutes they have been popping up in the Verizon msg app. The most recent came first and now Im receiving from the beginning of February. Apparently Im going to see Queen with Adam Lambert this summer, good to know my friends got me concert tickets! LOLOL

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
have you tried the goole messaging app, Android Messages?
Seems odd to me that your stock app missed them but the Verizon app got them. Making me think Verizon is pushing their app.
If the messages were sent to your phone as Verizon suggested then why did the Verizon app show all the old messages? Once a message is sent to your device its no longer pending on the network to be sent to your phone.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
have you tried the goole messaging app, Android Messages?
Seems odd to me that your stock app missed them but the Verizon app got them. Making me think Verizon is pushing their app.
If the messages were sent to your phone as Verizon suggested then why did the Verizon app show all the old messages? Once a message is sent to your device its no longer pending on the network to be sent to your phone.

The proof is in the pudding. I never opened Verizon Message+ before so the first time I did it had all the messages that the HTC Message had already downloaded. Then over the next 40 minutes I got all the messages that I hadnt received since January. The Verizon rep said their app worked differently which is why they suggest it. Apparently it was the HTC message app. How do you know you didnt get or send something until someone tells you so? For all that the current HTC Message users know this could be happening to them and they dont know it. I dont like the Verizon app as much from a customization point of view but I do like to receive my messages.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You didnt re-download all your messages. When you opened the verizon app it migrated all your current on device messages.
I have a HTC 10 and Galaxy S7 edge and use stock on both, but occasionally i used Messages which is now Android Messages. It too migrated all my on device messages to it.
My point was you had messages stuck on their system and NOT delivered to your phone. By going to the Verizon app it then request them and they were sent and delivered for the first time.
Their statement of all messages have been delivered was false. Once a message is delivered its no longer resident on their system to be sent to your device. Otherwise you would get duplicates and repeat messages.
In this case im sure its an HTC bug that the message was not delivered which is why i mentioned using Android messenger. Try using that app and see if you still miss messages. If so then Verizon is doing something hinky in the background to try to push their app.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You didnt re-download all your messages. When you opened the verizon app it migrated all your current on device messages.
I have a HTC 10 and Galaxy S7 edge and use stock on both, but occasionally i used Messages which is now Android Messages. It too migrated all my on device messages to it.
My point was you had messages stuck on their system and NOT delivered to your phone. By going to the Verizon app it then request them and they were sent and delivered for the first time.
Their statement of all messages have been delivered was false. Once a message is delivered its no longer resident on their system to be sent to your device. Otherwise you would get duplicates and repeat messages.
In this case im sure its an HTC bug that the message was not delivered which is why i mentioned using Android messenger. Try using that app and see if you still miss messages. If so then Verizon is doing something hinky in the background to try to push their app.

Then how do you explain my getting every message I already received and deleted from HTC Messages from January to current downloading to Verizon Message+ throughout the next several hours? I think you see a conspiracy theory where there are none. Believe me, Im first to blame them when I can! The Verizon rep said their system showed it was sent when originally received. I did not get it when sent. I did get it when I brought up Message+ and it apparently did a catchup of what it had on the server but not on my phone. Even threads I had already deleted from HTC messages so I know it wasnt copying them from there.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Guess im glad i dont have verizon. That shows they are storing all of your texts even after you have deleted them.
Thats not good.
I read it as you had all the messages in the original messaging app, then the ones you were " missing" but NOT ones you did get and deleted.
Your problem seems to have been fixed. So ill move on.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it sounds like they are storing ppl messages on their server

Obviously! But the rep said she can see the log, the times, sent/rcvd, etc. but not the texts themselves. As for how much they save the messages resent only went as far back as January so if its annual or a rolling number of months I have no idea. Alternatively, it could also point to the December verizon update we received. It appears to have broken the bluetooth call and now maybe Messages too as I only got messages from January forward.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
All carriers store messages, just for a short period of time. Like was said, the loss and stuff can be seen, but the actually message disappears quickly. I would guess the Verizon messaging app was pulling them from your phone or Google.

Anyway, to the original post, as much at I hated to admit it, htc messages is crap. Shame because I liked the interface, style, etc of the app, and it worked perfectly initially. However pretty quickly I found texts aren't going to everyone, texts showed up late, all kinds of issues. And I tried every fix I could find with no fix. Finally just downloaded Android Messages by Google, at as default, and haven't had an issue since.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Im so disgusted already. A friend called me to see if I was getting her text today because I didnt respond and low and behold I did not, As soon as I opened the Verizon Message+ app texts from 3 people throughout the day all of a sudden show up. Same thing happened earlier but I wasnt sure it wasnt a coincidence. Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes not. I just looked at android messages and ther ewas an update a few days ago and in the comments someone claimed they werent getting all their texts since the update so Im reluctant to go to that. Guess I need to call Verizon back. Ugh!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Im thinking mfreeland is hitting the nail on the head with it being a Verizon issue.
Friend of mine has my old M8 and she loves stock and has no issues, we both have TMO.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Im thinking mfreeland is hitting the nail on the head with it being a Verizon issue.
Friend of mine has my old M8 and she loves stock and has no issues, we both have TMO.

A friend of mine on Verizon was telling me she had texting issues with her Samsung S7 yesterday too. In researching there are many people with this issue and many complain specifically about Iphones. Its never easy.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
One would think iPhones wouldnt be affected unless its iPhone to Android communications. Since iPhones use their own proprietary app to communicate with other iPhones that uses data and not standard SMS.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
One would think iPhones wouldnt be affected unless its iPhone to Android communications. Since iPhones use their own proprietary app to communicate with other iPhones that uses data and not standard SMS.
Some ppl turn iMessage off, I think when u do that it uses sms even to other iPhones but I don't have one so idk

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
All carriers can have problems with messages being delayed due to heavy network traffic. And maybe it's a Verizon issue, but if it is, my thought would be is a communication problem between htc messages and Verizon specifically.

I say this because, like I've said before, I had issues when using htc messaging that instantly ended and have not been seen since. And I'm pretty sure (heavy sarcasm), that it wasn't an issue that was fixed the day I changed messaging apps.

Just save yourself the trouble and aggravation and change messaging apps.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Some ppl turn iMessage off, I think when u do that it uses sms even to other iPhones but I don't have one so idk

You are correct. If an iPhone user turns iMessages off it will use SMS/MMS as the default protocol.

Im with TMO and they are starting to implement RCS messaging and i feel like im starting to miss SMS or get them really late from friends. Still trying to confirm but with S7 Edge prior to Nougat upadte messaging was fine. After the update im not so sure.
I dont use my HTC 10 enough with SMS to verify.

ezapper2

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
You are correct. If an iPhone user turns iMessages off it will use SMS/MMS as the default protocol.

Im with TMO and they are starting to implement RCS messaging and i feel like im starting to miss SMS or get them really late from friends. Still trying to confirm but with S7 Edge prior to Nougat upadte messaging was fine. After the update im not so sure.
I dont use my HTC 10 enough with SMS to verify.

I'm having the same issue as you all and originally thought it was an iMessage thing too. It's not.

I'm on an s7 edge with Rogers network in Canada. The issue started with nougat and runs across all messenger apps. Samsung, google, and even FB messenger for txt.

It's a nougat bug and getting worse each day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel