HTC 10 Wifi ?

Nappy216

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
Replaced my M9 with a 10 and couldn't be happier but I have one strange problem.

The SiriusXM app I listen to at work via Wifi will not play for more then a minute or two. I get constant network error messages.

The strange thing is spotify and Youtube work fine (no interruptions). I know about the 10's WiFi issues but I would have expected any app that uses Wifi to have trouble if it was a hardware problem not just the SiruisXM app.

Any advice on how to debug would be most appreciated.

I installed a WiFi signal strength app on the 10 and my old M9....will measure the signal on each when I'm at work to see if their is a big difference.

Wanted to force 2.4G Wifi but that option no longer exists on the 10 (verizon version)

Nappy216

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
I think you can use an app called "WiFi Manager" that does just that.

Thanks for the reply. Downloaded that app. still didn't see a way to force 2.4G.
However the power/signal strenght was exactly the same as my M9. So now I'm thinking its something with the router at work. Maybe somehow it throttles back on new devices. I'm going to bring in two more old phone tomarrow and see if they behave the same as the 10.

If I was really cleaver I would change the 10's MAC address to the M9's and see if I'm able to stream uninterrupted. But that is way beyond my ablity.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Well, if you have access to 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ networks with your HTC 10, go to your WiFi and select "Forget network" on the 5GHZ. That's a way to force and default connection to another WiFi network.

Nappy216

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
Tried 4 phones at work today. All running the same version of Sirius XM app and connected to Wifi at work.
New HTC 10 - Wont stream.
Previous HTC One M9 - Works fine.. can stream all day.
Older HTC One M7 - Wont stream.
Barrowed Galaxy S4 - Won't stream.

Looks like I was lucky with my old M9.
Its like any new device is not allowed to stream. I didn't think it was possible for a wireless router to limit some devices and not others. I tried spoofing the M9's MAC address on the M7 but it wouldn't authenticate. I give up.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm....I just got HTC 10 from Verizon yesterday and mine has the option to use 2.4 ghz only.

I have the same issue with Sirius XM app, I don't get the network connection errors but it keeps switching back and forth between wifi and 4G. But I had the same issue with my M8 using Sirius. I think it something with the app. Also I have a range extender at my house with same same SSID as my main router, sometimes the phone has trouble switching between the main router and the range extender when you move around the house. But again, my M8 had the same issue. I just got the HTC 10 yesterday but so far the wifi seems about comparable to my old M8. Keeping my fingers crossed.

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
My HTC 10 has about the same range/strength wifi as my Nexus 6p.

Based on your descriptions, it sounds like the SiriusXM app is the guilty party, not the phone or the router.

To elaborate a little, it sounds like an authentication issue/security issue with Sirius, not liking any of your phones but the M9. Check your Sirius account setting to see if your new device has been registered/authenticated with Sirius (not sure the term they use).