06-09-2017 08:17 PM
42 12
tools
    I think we'd had this talk back when 700mhz was first deploying. Oy vey! What new frequency are they pushing you guys on to now?
    They pushed us back into the 600mhz range and now it's 470-590. Hopefully this is the last time...for a while.
    05-02-2017 11:33 PM
    They pushed us back into the 600mhz range and now it's 470-590. Hopefully this is the last time...for a while.
    Screw it! Go as low as you can (single digits!)
    mfreeland likes this.
    05-03-2017 01:23 PM
    Well after one year of debating with myself I just couldn't bear my distorting top speaker on the HTC one m8, which I otherwise still love, and finally ordered the HTC 10. Should get it Thursday.
    I hope I don't regret it, I ordered the glacier silver since I've heard the nicks are not so noticeable. I'm coming from the gunmetal grey on the M8 and don't use a case, just a glass screen protector.
    One question, please: I have the in ear headphones Xiaomi Piston 3.0. How do the bundled HTC Hi-res headphones compare? Are they any good?

Cheers
    05-23-2017 03:47 AM
    After 24h of use here are my initial*thoughts about it:

Negatives :
    - sound quality regarding*the external speakers suck. My m8 was much much better (when the top speaker was not distorting, of course).*
    - The headphone jack positioning is worse, on the bottom made much more*sense.*
    - It's not that much faster/smoother*than my m8,*
    - I don't find that sound quality through headphones is much better than the M8, to be honest, just a little louder*
    - I like the more rounded design and smoother feel of my gunmetal grey m8 better*
    - Vibration when pressing keys felt better on the M8*

Positives*
    - The screen is better, more vibrant, even is it still sucks when under sunlight (too dim)*
    - Faster when opening Chrome tabs and installing apps
    - Camera is better, even if I don't value that much and was quite happy with the one I had on the M8*

Has you can see there are more negatives than positives and if I was sure that someone could fix my top speaker distortion problem I would go back in a second and return this to Amazon.*

As a side note:
    Do you*have the boom sound, (dolby audio and audio profile) setting on? I prefer them all off...
    Also, I got the included HTC Hi-res Headphones but I find that the Xiaomi Piston 3.0 have a better sound...

Cheers
    05-26-2017 06:08 AM
    Had you considered or maybe tried to get a new M8 from an online source? Was browsing eBay a week ago and saw someone with several BNIB M7's. Kinda surprised me. Maybe M8's also available BNIB.
    05-26-2017 12:08 PM
    Had you considered or maybe tried to get a new M8 from an online source? Was browsing eBay a week ago and saw someone with several BNIB M7's. Kinda surprised me. Maybe M8's also available BNIB.
    I thought about that or even try and send the M8 to HTC official repair shop and see if they could fix the speaker but I now I'm thinking about waiting a couple of days and see if I learn to enjoy it more. Thanks for the tip, though.
    Cheers
    05-26-2017 12:26 PM
    Yeah, just took a cruise thru the M8 aisle over at eBay and tons of them. Some brand new for a couple hundred bucks. Sounds like a viable option if the 10 doesn't do it for you. Good luck.
    05-26-2017 01:00 PM
    Sound quality is something that the 10 is leaps and bounds better at. I use my 8 daily at work for audio with headphones and will listen to my 10 when at home and its pretty night and day for me. Of course if you dont use an app with Hi Res support you likely wont notice this change and it will sound roughly the same. I would prefer the old speaker setup but the new one is very solid and blows away most the other flagships at the time of 10s release. I dont listen to much music via speakers any more since headphones sound really good.

Im the opposite, I prefer the on top headphone jack as I can set my phone down normal and not have to stick it upside down in everything like the M8 needed.

Even now with my M8 with literally a clean slate install other than music player, still isnt as snappy as my 10 that hasnt had a single factory reset yet (which I need to do just cause I like to once in awhile) Not to say the 8 is sluggish but the last update it received was far from perfect which lead to iffy battery life at times and just overall average performance sometimes also. I have no sim and literally nothing running on it so its completely barebones so it can go a week easy on battery life while using it 6+ hours a day listening to music.
    badelhas likes this.
    06-01-2017 06:21 PM
    After 24h of use here are my initial*thoughts about it:

Negatives :
    - sound quality regarding*the external speakers suck. My m8 was much much better (when the top speaker was not distorting, of course).*
    - The headphone jack positioning is worse, on the bottom made much more*sense.*
    - It's not that much faster/smoother*than my m8,*
    - I don't find that sound quality through headphones is much better than the M8, to be honest, just a little louder*
    - I like the more rounded design and smoother feel of my gunmetal grey m8 better*
    - Vibration when pressing keys felt better on the M8*

Positives*
    - The screen is better, more vibrant, even is it still sucks when under sunlight (too dim)*
    - Faster when opening Chrome tabs and installing apps
    - Camera is better, even if I don't value that much and was quite happy with the one I had on the M8*

Has you can see there are more negatives than positives and if I was sure that someone could fix my top speaker distortion problem I would go back in a second and return this to Amazon.*

As a side note:
    Do you*have the boom sound, (dolby audio and audio profile) setting on? I prefer them all off...
    Also, I got the included HTC Hi-res Headphones but I find that the Xiaomi Piston 3.0 have a better sound...

Cheers
    I was like you came from M8, that was the greatest phone I ever owned...unfortunately it got slow due to all the modern app updates (I should have switched off auto update in Google Play). The M8 had everything IR blaster, great stereo speakers, decent camera.

The 10 plays it safe, it's good at the core areas but not overly exciting....blinkfeed has gotten worse with terrible adverts and news republic... As I said I love the M8 as it had a wide range of cool features the 10 is a solid boring smartphone.
    06-03-2017 08:31 AM
    Definitely is a solid, boring phone but it's understated, smart and really focuses on a great UX. By far the best phone I've ever had.
    06-04-2017 10:41 AM
    Today be honest I like it but in my opinion the M8 was better in many little things that make me miss it:
    - headphone jack on the bottom, perfect to put the phone in my pants pocket
    - The design and feel of the gunmetal grey looked better
    - The sensor to turn of the phone in a call worked much better
    - The external speakers sounded waaay better
    - The screen brightness slider worked better, you chose the minimum brightness, not the maximum
    - The vibration motor was better
    - The power button was better placed (on top) , on the side makes me press it accidentally when on calls and when in my pocket and because we have double tap and slide to wake we don't really need it nearby.
    mwake4goten likes this.
    06-04-2017 10:58 AM
    It's a great phone. I'm not sure I'm going to be a big fan of the no bezel devices coming out so I don't count that as a negative like I read so many others do. But yeah, the M8 was a sweet device and I really enjoyed mine. Funny you ^ mention the vibrate motor as weaker on the 10 when so many reviewers were saying otherwise. I think it is adequate and middle of the road. The vibe motor on my Moto (MXPE) is so loud I wouldn't be able to use it in any type of meeting setting anyway, or movie theater for that matter. Which makes it a poorer feature. But time keeps moving forward and things change and not always to our liking 100% anyway. I wish I still had my M8 sometimes, but not enough to pick one up on eBay.
    06-04-2017 02:43 PM
    Today be honest I like it but in my opinion the M8 was better in many little things that make me miss it:
    - headphone jack on the bottom, perfect to put the phone in my pants pocket
    - The design and feel of the gunmetal grey looked better
    - The sensor to turn of the phone in a call worked much better
    - The external speakers sounded waaay better
    - The screen brightness slider worked better, you chose the minimum brightness, not the maximum
    - The vibration motor was better
    - The power button was better placed (on top) , on the side makes me press it accidentally when on calls and when in my pocket and because we have double tap and slide to wake we don't really need it nearby.
    You nailed it! Also with the M8 I loved to take it out of my pocket and show it off it's a beautiful looking piece of kit...I feel the 10 isn't bad looking but not as beautiful looking as the M8...I once played a YouTube video to a friend at work and they were wowed by how loud the stereo speakers were. Loved to go to friends house and change TV channels...no more hunting for the remote... I actually prefer the shape of the M8 too...the only gripe of the M8 was that it was the most slipperiest thing I'd ever held when naked, like holding a wet eel.. I sorted some of that issue by buying ungrip

06-04-2017 11:46 PM
    Definitely is a solid, boring phone but it's understated, smart and really focuses on a great UX. By far the best phone I've ever had.
    Its the best phone Ive had, M8 is a solid 2nd no doubt. But I dont agree that its boring. Its not flashy like a Galaxy phone with edge screen and all the random features most users turn off before even leaving the store, but the phone is smooth as butter, UI is simple and not bloated like Touchwiz was, audio quality is top notch for a phone. For me, that stuff alone is what wins out and has it as my favorite phone so far. Ive used all the galaxy phones via friends and tried out stuff on it and it doesnt come close to topping the 10 in what I personally look for in phones. Of course not everyone is the same as me and lets face it, most Galaxy owners dont understand android phones as is, they just snatch them up cause its got huge marketing power. To each their own, but I like something based on more research that I do, and the 10 did everything better than the other options. Even to this day, I dont see another option out there yet. The U11 looks pretty nice but with the 10, I will likely sit on this phone for another year or so. Just like I did the with the M8.
    Eggmundo likes this.
    06-08-2017 04:10 PM
    Its the best phone Ive had, M8 is a solid 2nd no doubt. But I dont agree that its boring. Its not flashy like a Galaxy phone with edge screen and all the random features most users turn off before even leaving the store, but the phone is smooth as butter, UI is simple and not bloated like Touchwiz was, audio quality is top notch for a phone. For me, that stuff alone is what wins out and has it as my favorite phone so far. Ive used all the galaxy phones via friends and tried out stuff on it and it doesnt come close to topping the 10 in what I personally look for in phones. Of course not everyone is the same as me and lets face it, most Galaxy owners dont understand android phones as is, they just snatch them up cause its got huge marketing power. To each their own, but I like something based on more research that I do, and the 10 did everything better than the other options. Even to this day, I dont see another option out there yet. The U11 looks pretty nice but with the 10, I will likely sit on this phone for another year or so. Just like I did the with the M8.
    I agree with you but still believe that the M8 was a more complete package.
    Did you you buy the 10 as soon as it was released?
    06-08-2017 04:35 PM
    I agree with you but still believe that the M8 was a more complete package.
    Did you you buy the 10 as soon as it was released?
    Yeah. After the last M8 update on verizon that was half baked, the phone was less than stellar at times so a change was needed. I like my M8 still, but the screen quality is pretty rough compared when I use them daily. It just feels like a phone from a few years ago now. Not that its bad, but lacks that newer stuff that we are all used to now.
    06-09-2017 06:33 PM
    No regrets at all. I love the 10 and will no doubt enjoy it for at least another year.
    06-09-2017 08:17 PM
42 12